Cutting the strut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting the strut?

Its simple, I want the front lower, and I want to put my collars back in.

So my question is, can I cut some threads off the bottom of the strut, and weld it back together? Or will all the fluid be..I really don't know, can't get a solid answer from my friends, and I'm not the most knowledgeable kid.

Coilovers are BC Racing Coilovers BR series, look like this.

No.

Also, why do you want your collars back in?

Comment

Yes.

If it has removable shocks, so you can source down another pair of shorter shocks, therefor gaining more travel. Its done all the time in the e30 world.
      -Instagram@jdjurhuus
      Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

Been done on B5 A4s too

Flickr

Originally posted by Kielan
        Oh FUCK YES, 6-10 inches for me this weekend. FUCK YES!

Comment

Originally posted by firelizard View Post
          No.

Also, why do you want your collars back in?
          so I can have adjustability again lol. my front coils literally can't get anymore "static" than this.

Originally posted by Zic View Post
          Yes.

If it has removable shocks, so you can source down another pair of shorter shocks, therefor gaining more travel. Its done all the time in the e30 world.
          do you know where I could locate shorter shocks? Call BC Racing? or just any shock that matches the thread?

Comment

Cut off the bracket that bolts onto the hub and have someone weld it higher. That's only if you have room before you get to your axle, which you should.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard_Gud. View Post
              so I can have adjustability again lol. my front coils literally can't get anymore "static" than this.
              I don't get it. If you're at max low and the only thing limiting your drop is that the bottom bracket doesn't allow the shock body to pass through, adding your collars is pointless, what are you adjusting for except to go higher? You definitely won't be going lower by adding collars. If your lower bracket allows the shock body to pass through and can get spun all the way up to the spring perch collar, and that's maxed out, then what you need is a shorter spring, and the shorter damper just to match the spring.

Comment

we need photos of the setup on the car how it is now...
                sigpic
                Midmounted Mazda Minitruck video build thread - www.youtube.com/pimppalacecustoms
                Build pics and randomness - www.facebook.com/pimppalacecustoms
                Long term project 340i (Lexus V8 powered e21) http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...highlight=340i

Comment

okay, I'll get photos. But let me explain a bit more thoroughly.

On the front, my cv boots sit directly under the strut, therefore limiting how far down I can drop the car via the body. I removed the collars, because that was the only was I could go as low as I am, and dropping the spring.

I want a shorter body, so that I can put the collars back in, and make up the difference by dropping the car via the body, not by removing the collars and dropping the spring.

Comment

I could be wrong but, i think the GC struts might be a little shorter. I would give BC a call and maybe confirm this. If so, then your set.
                    SAABaru.
                    IvyLeagueEast

Comment

Working...
                    X