Sold my car on craigslist three months ago, guy wants to sue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sold my car on craigslist three months ago, guy wants to sue

Okay guys I have a question for you. Have you guys ever dealt with any bullshit like this?

Three months ago I sold my 2001 Audi S4 to a 16-year-old kid and his dad for his first car. The car had a rebuilt title but I owned the car for almost 2 years & daily drove it and was constantly being fixed at professional shops and myself. The car was inspected before I purchased it and therefore all repairs that were done seemed to be in order. Not to mention the damage was to the rear of the vehicle. Anyways I installed coil overs and all kinds of other goodies on the suspension. The car was professionally aligned twice within the time I owned it, and aligned a few weeks before the car was actually sold.

A couple nights ago I received a text message from a number I didn't recognize. The only thing the text message read was "I will see you in small claims court"

Not knowing who this person was I discreetly asked who it was. It was the guy who bought my Audi S4. He told me that he was going to sue my ass because the whole front of the car was held together with chicken wire and it was "disastrous" ! Obviously this is total bullshit, if anybody knows me I do not half ass anything on my vehicles let alone allow my wife to drive around in a vehicle of the sort. I maintained the car meticulously and had the whole front end of the vehicle part multiple times replacing intercoolers, timing belts, and other items in the suspension. The retarded part is that I included a whole folder full of receipts for all of the work that had been done including front end work and alignments done at a local shop. Luckily for me I am good friends with the owner and can get receipts printed out again proving that the vehicle was with in good working order and nothing was held in with "chicken wire".
    My question to you guys is should I worry about this asshole trying to sue me for $7000 worth of suspension work that had to be done? Especially on a car that he has now owned for three months! The law in Washington state is buyer beware, as-is . The DMV website actually states that his is the buyers responsibility to Pay for the vehicle to be inspected before purchase.
    The 16-year-old kid texted me before he bought it and wanted me to do a quick little inspection myself at work since I work at a dealership. So I put the car up on the lift & did a quick little inspection on our checklist sheet for him and was 100% truthful with them. I noted that it had a small oil leak, one of the CV boots was torn, the rear diff fluid needed to be flushed, and. Even included small dents that I noticed on the car. Obviously now this guy is trying to hold that inspection against me as if I am some sort of professional mechanic.. Neither did he pay for this inspection or request that I do it, but I did it on my own accord as a gesture.
    What do you guys think about this? I have looked this up on Google many times and everybody who has had an issue similar to this has either not even gone to court because the judge drops it immediately, or people continue to pursue legal action.
    Instagram - Bavarian_Steel
    My E28 Build

A lawyer, that's who you should seek help through. Not a bunch of children on a website who put zebra print and dildo's in their cars.

EDIT: But for real fuck that dude and his shitty spoiled son.
    Instagram : @SHMVNY_GVNG

Comment

Well its craigslist so all sales are final (no refunds/ warranties unless specified). So you shouldn't really need to worry about it

same sort of thing happened to my brother when he sold his civic with a K series swap and the guy who bought it texted him like 2 weeks later saying that he was going to sue him because it didnt have the engine that he thought it had.

But get a lawyer if you're not sure still. Better safe than sorry.
      Last edited by SnazzyQ; 10-24-2014, 08:59 PM. Reason: I suck at grammar and spelling

Comment

Originally posted by SnazzyQ View Post
        Well its craigslist so all sales are final (no refunds/ warranties unless specified). So you shouldn't really need to worry about it

same sort of thing happened to my brother when he sold his civic with a K series swap and the guy who bought it texted him like 2 weeks later saying that he was going to sue him because it didn't have the engine that he thought it had.

But get a lawyer if you're not sure still. Better safe than sorry.
        I dont feel like I need a lawyer . I am a honest person and always have been . I have little faith in the justice system but I also feel that Honest people MOST of the time come out better in the end .

Ive spoken to literally 20+ people about this and every single person says not to stress it . Im certainly not stressed but I also don't want to deal with going to court etc and loosing work because of some jerk .
        I might add that this guy rolled up in a brand new Mercedes G-wagon . He's got money and Im honestly afraid he will use his money to his advantage .
        My E28 Build

Comment

I assume you can produce a bill of sale signed by both parties indicating that the car was sold as-is?

Comment

Originally posted by Oh Damn, it's Sam View Post
            I assume you can produce a bill of sale signed by both parties indicating that the car was sold as-is?
            I had him sign one yes. Here's the thing , My van was broken into and the folder I had it in along with other paper work was taken along with all the other contents in the center console . So fuck me on that one . I went thru my house looking for it and I'm certain it was in my van that night.
            I do know that regardless , Washington state is an As-is buyer beware state. I'm hoping that plays a role. Ive sold 13 cars over my lifetime and this is the only time I've had this much shit happen on a car sale.
            My E28 Build

Comment

Did you put 'as is, as seen' in the bill of sale?

Comment

Also, small claims in Washington maxes out at $5000 in damages, so if this guy is intent on suing for $7000 as you suggested, he'll have to move the case up into civil court, where attorneys are allowed.

I would be surprised if you hear all that much more of this, other than some additional bluffing from the new owner. They're going to try and pressure you into settling out of court for whatever dollar amount they demand, but I would be very surprised if this turned into actual legal action.

It is time now to stop answering the phone or the door and cease responding to them in any fashion.

Comment

Here in mass you get 30 days and even that has its limitations. I remember a while ago my dad sold his 47 Chevy coupe to a guy and a month and a half later the guy blew the tranny in it. Before he took my dad to court my dad agreed to pay half because he thought it was the right thing to do, the guy said skew that I'll see you in court. when he got there the only reason the judge made my dad pay half is because he had made a verbal agreement with him, the judge said if my dad had kept his mouth shut there would have been nothing the guy could do to get money from him. Personally I'd tell the guy to go pound sand. If he had an issue he could have said something three months earlier, or done any sort of research.

Comment

Originally posted by Oh Damn, it's Sam View Post
                    Also, small claims in Washington maxes out at $5000 in damages, so if this guy is intent on suing for $7000 as you suggested, he'll have to move the case up into civil court, where attorneys are allowed.

I would be surprised if you hear all that much more of this, other than some additional bluffing from the new owner. They're going to try and pressure you into settling out of court for whatever dollar amount they demand, but I would be very surprised if this turned into actual legal action.

It is time now to stop answering the phone or the door and cease responding to them in any fashion.
                    Number has been blocked and the man doesn't know where I live as I met him in the mall parking lot .
                    Fingers crossed , this settles down and he realizes that there is nothing he can do .

Originally posted by Oh, Word? View Post
                    Here in mass you get 30 days and even that has its limitations. I remember a while ago my dad sold his 47 Chevy coupe to a guy and a month and a half later the guy blew the tranny in it. Before he took my dad to court my dad agreed to pay half because he thought it was the right thing to do, the guy said skew that I'll see you in court. when he got there the only reason the judge made my dad pay half is because he had made a verbal agreement with him, the judge said if my dad had kept his mouth shut there would have been nothing the guy could do to get money from him. Personally I'd tell the guy to go pound sand. If he had an issue he could have said something three months earlier, or done any sort of research.
                    Never texted the guy back and I'd never offer to help with the cost of a new front end . The guy obviously has money and with that usually comes pride . I'm sure his pride was hurt by something his son obviously did to the car and takes his spoiled son's side. Any parent would do that , just sucks that people are so untruthful .
                    My E28 Build

Comment

Sounds like they should sue the shop that is charging them 7k for suspension work. That seems a little absurd to me.

The Kia has been parted.

Comment

Originally posted by andybob View Post
                        Sounds like they should sue the shop that is charging them 7k for suspension work. That seems a little absurd to me.
                        I'd hazard a guess that the guy marched into the shop, told the owner he wanted to sue the guy who sold it, and had them draft a list for repairs of literally everything on the car.

A shop I worked at did that for a few customers who had bought "Mercedes Certified" cars off E-bay that turned out to be rougher than described. They'd come in firing mad, throw us $100 to do an inspection on the car, and I'd get to draft up the world's longest estimate. Good times.

Comment

I sold an 82 civic to guy for 500 once. He didn't have the cash so I let him make a couple payments. I told him it burned oil really bad and is an old car in general. A couple weeks later he told me he was getting a lawyer or refund because the car was a "Lemon". I told him it was a 30 year old honda and that he still owes me money. A week later he calls me pissed because it "blew up" (he ran it out of oil). I personally repossessed it and sold it to some that wanted to fix it up. Happy ending. All that over 500 dollars. People suck man.
                          Volvo Build Thread
                          Bmw Build Thread
                          Toyota Build Thread
                          zanebonk instagram
                          Tumblrrrr

Comment

He cant do shit,

Tell him you'll wait for the court order to appear in small claims court, chances are you;ll never hear from him again.
                            78 GMC Sierra Grande AKA "Black Betty"-Bagged, chopped, stupid.

Comment

Working...
                            X