E36 Headliner Decisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E36 Headliner Decisions

So I'm thinking of maybe doing my headliner once it stops raining so much, and I'm trying to decide how much of a pain it will be. Any tips from E36 guys who have done it would be helpful, and any writeups you may have would be also.

I'm thinking of doing this pattern maybe? I'm not sure how much I would need though...
    Originally posted by da3bous
    I want you to photoshop a giant penis down the side of my car

just did it a few months ago. its really straight forward really. remove all the handles, pillar covers and visors, and the headliner basically falls down. i can tell you though, its much more of a pain in the ass getting it out of a 4 door than a coupe. ive done both and you have to lean the front seats as far back as they can go to pull the headliner out. you are going to bend it alittle, but there wont be any damage. if i have to do it again, ill just remove the seats. so much easier. as far as how much material, just take a measurement of the roof and get a little something extra for the pillars and if you want to do the rear package tray.
    Last edited by NegativeCamber; 04-28-2010, 01:41 PM. Reason: spelling
    Originally posted by Kielan
    I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

Pretty much what negitivecamber said. The hardest part was the sunroof shuttle. You have to drop down the whole sunroof assembly (6 screws I think) then slide the cartridge the whole way back to get to the screws holding it in (theres a lot). Its a bitch to put back in tho.

Here was mine (fabric aint cheap so I used a bedsheet )

Started to sag after a month due to crappy adhesive. I recommend getting the orange stuff they have advance auto. I had good results with that. Also, I would hot glue it to the underside. Just take your time and you should be fine.

-Dan

Comment

i recovered mine about three weeks ago now... used black suede and got very nice results. to be on the safe side, i bought 7yds of material so that i could do the headliner, sunroof panel, decklid, and all the pillars. i've got a fair amount left over, but i really didn't want to come up short. for the most part everything went really easy. the main bit of advice i have is go slow and use a good glue. i used some 3M clear adhesive i got from Advance Auto... it's not cheap (like $14 a can) but it works... did two coats on each piece and it grips well. be careful using a pattern like that because you'll drive yourself crazy trying to get the lines perfectly straight. i'll try and get some pics taken of my interior tonight and post them...

Comment

Working...
        X