RSX buddyclub coilovers maxed out!? help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSX buddyclub coilovers maxed out!? help

Ok i have my buddyclub coilovers at there lowest drop. The height on these coilovers is independent from the spring pre-load i want to go a little lower in the front. The only way to do so would be to compress the spring a little. Would it make a big difference in ride quality if i compress the spring a little messing with the preload?
    Team Ugly

anyone?
    Team Ugly

Comment

A little as in how much? You can adjust the spring lower, but you will lose overall stroke/strut travel the length you lower the spring. Depending on how much you lower it, you might not even notice the difference in stroke,
      Originally posted by Jesus Christ
      if "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" doesnt include being able to buy a huge veiny motherfucker then the declaration of independence isnt worth the hemp it was written on.
      Originally posted by Jedidiah
      he speaks the truth.. he doesn't even have the -- -- eyes.

Comment

Adding preload will not lower the vehicle. It will increase the weight required to compress the strut over it's first inch of travel.(keeping it higher rather than lower) If you reduce the preload by lowering the bottom spring perch you will change where in the struts stroke your suspension has it's action as well as lowering the vehicle. You will be lower and it may be fine but some coilovers are not meant to be run that way. I know mine are, but have no idea about yours, worst case you would blow a strut and learn something in the process. My springs are set at no preload in the coilovers but still end up slightly preloaded by the weight of the vehicle. In a good street vehicle set for sporty handling you want the strut resting between 25% and 50% compressed. so it has droop to accont for dips/going into potholes, but has slightly more compression to allow the suspension to absorb the exit of the pothole/bump.

If you were to preload the spring 700# and that corner of the car only weighed 600# you would be in for a really stiff ride as the strut assembly(when finally compressed) would overpower the wheight of the vehicle and toss the body around on even slight bumps. I have seen baha trucks run high preload on very tall soft springs but that's only to push the axles quickly to the limiting straps on take off so they are prepard for landing.

Comment

Well currently my coilovers when the car is jacked up are set with the spring slightly held in place where it cant move up or down but its not compressed. Thats the proper way my coilovers are suppose to be set up. So if i were to compress the spring a little i would be able to screw the shock down more. Does that make sense? The only reason i want to compress the spring a little more is to be able to screw the shock down further. here is a pic. My ride height is adjusted by screwing the shocks down.
          Team Ugly

Comment

I have few friends running buddy clubs and they dont go low enough. few of em have swapped for d2's or have gone progress coil overs..

Comment

To answer your question, yes, the ride quality will be different if you compress the spring a little messing with the preload.

The preload is there for optimal performance. assuming your preload is correct now, you should already be on the lowest setting. you don't even have the third ring so you're definitely the lowest with set preload.

Messing around with the preload, you can go lower but not by much. by spinning all rings and strut arms UP, or in your words, the shock down, you can go lower but the ride quality will be worse.

honestly, if you're trying to go lower and it's for an rsx, id say trade your buddy club for function and form or progress coilovers. good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the help i ended up selling my coilovers yesterday and ordered function form type II today.
                Team Ugly

Comment

Post pics of them full drop for me, please.

The F2's that is

Comment

Dont have pics yet but the front went low enough to where i released the e-brake on my inclined driveway the car didnt roll...so i went and bought smaller tires and had to raise it a little bit. Now i just need to beat my wheel well with a hammer to make some room up top.
                    Team Ugly

Comment

Get some pics up!

Comment

pics would be nice of the new setup.. i have a dc5 also and have been looking for LOW coilovers for our cars

Comment

Rear is maxed out and front can go way lower but i would be rubbing frame on the upper wheel well...
                          Team Ugly

Comment

Working...
                          X