Clunking noise coming from front left driver side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clunking noise coming from front left driver side

So figured most of you on here would know what problem I could be having hence we all run slammed cars either on bags or coilovers. So the past few days I have been hearing his clunking noise coming from the front left coilover. Only really happens when i hitt a bump or dip in the road at low speeds. Or when I push down on the front left I can hear the clunking noise. Ofcourse tommorow I am going to jack the car up, remove the tire, and look up there and see if I can see anything. I am running Tein Basic Coilovers on there have had them for probably 25,000 miles give or take. I seem to think its either my upper ball joints, or front sway bar links, maybe? Any other ideas maybe a cracked spring? Any ideas would be appreciated.
    -Jay

What car is it?

ig: @jonnie86

Comment

What is it like when you turn the wheel?

Comment

Its a 06 Acura TL, and as far as when I turn the wheel doesn't make any noise at all when I turn. I jacked the car up today and removed the rim, checked the cv boots, the sway bar endlinks, and the upper ball joints all seem to be fine. Nothing is leaking anywhere. The top hat is secure and checked the bolts on the top hat. Checked all the bolts on the coilover, everything seems to be intact, the spring on the coilover is still intact no sign of any cracking. I almost want to think its the coilover it self bottoming out every single time I hitt a dip, or bump in the road. They are maxed out in the front and they are tein basics with absolutely no stiffness to prevent that.... any thoughts?
        Last edited by Jay Z.; 04-26-2010, 06:44 PM.
        -Jay

Comment

It still shouldnt clunk if the bump stops intact. Maybe a solid thump but not a clunk.

Comment

its probably the hi-lock is loose on the top of the shock, i just had to pull my coils off and tighten them for the same clunking noise you are talking about.

inspection:
            when you take the coil over out. push down from the top against the coilover in its upright position (the way it sits on the car) if it clunks or moves back and forth at all you need to tighten the hi-lock.

hi-lock:
            where the bump stop attaches to the shock there is a hex head on the top of the shock rod that needs to be tightened all the way down until your about to break the allen key this should eliminate youre clunk.
            Last edited by lowpoke; 04-27-2010, 08:14 AM.

Comment

could be a blown shock or upper control arm hitting frame.

Comment

Originally posted by SlammedSuzuka View Post
                could be a blown shock or upper control arm hitting frame.
                Checked the shock its all intact nothing is blown, a buddy of mine said the same thing that its probably my upper control arm hitting the subframe. I am going to take the coilover a part today and see about that hi lock seeing if that needs to be tighten again.
                -Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Z. View Post
                  Checked the shock its all intact nothing is blown, a buddy of mine said the same thing that its probably my upper control arm hitting the subframe. I am going to take the coilover a part today and see about that hi lock seeing if that needs to be tighten again.
                  well good luck, i really dont know about honda/acuras but i assume it cant be that much different from volkswagon audi parts. i figure you would notice a blown shock a little bit more than just a clunk over small bumps

Comment

Originally posted by lowpoke View Post
                    well good luck, i really dont know about honda/acuras but i assume it cant be that much different from volkswagon audi parts. i figure you would notice a blown shock a little bit more than just a clunk over small bumps
                    You were quite right my friend the hi-lock on the top of the coilover was so loose I could thread it off the coilover it was so loose. Ended up just taking a impact to the top of it and re-tightened it and no more noise. So thanks again for the input, greatly appreciated Guys like you is why I love this forum, you all know whats up
                    -Jay

Comment

I was going to suggest checking the top strut nuts, good to see that was all it was haha

Flickr

Originally posted by Kielan
                      Oh FUCK YES, 6-10 inches for me this weekend. FUCK YES!

Comment

its weird that they would just come loose like that unless they werent tightened down all the way in the first place. im putting red locktight on mine just for safety sake. i suggest you do the same unless you want to do all of this over again in 25k.
                        Last edited by lowpoke; 04-27-2010, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lowpoke View Post
                          its weird that they would just come loose like that unless they werent tightened down all the way in the first place. im putting red locktight on mine just for safety sake. i suggest you do the same unless you want to do all of this over again in 25k.
                          Honestly dont think it was tighten down all the way when it was originally installed. But I am actually going to do that probably tommorow. As far as put that locktight on it. Thanks again for the input in this all.
                          -Jay

Comment

yeah i tightened mine up last night and i am so much happier, haha i not only feel safer but it rides a million times better!!!

Comment

I've had mine loosen a couple of times, the thunking noise is pretty distinct and it's an easy fix at least

Flickr

Originally posted by Kielan
                              Oh FUCK YES, 6-10 inches for me this weekend. FUCK YES!

Comment

Working...
                              X