BMW m10 engine swap to m20?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW m10 engine swap to m20?

Hey all! I'm new to the forum and I'm glad to be here!
    I have a beautiful 1984 318i, it's in great condition and run great. I've invested a good amount of money in the car just for cosmetics so far, and though it looks amazing, its slow! I have the 1.8L 4cyl m10 engine, and as bmw owners know that's a slow engine. Plus I live in Colorado so there's not much oxygen for engines anyway, so all in all I get about 80 hp LAME!

So heres the question: I really want to buy a cray 325i, not needing to be mechanically or cosmetically sound. What I want to do is take the 2.5l v6 from the 325i, rebuild and turbo it and drop it into my 318i. Does anybody have any experience or knowledge of doing this? Are there any rebuild kits i can buy? Are parts to rebuild these engines hard to find and expensive? Where do i get it and what turbo do i use?!

I'd really appreciate the help, thanks guys!

the M20b25 is a good solid work horse engine that as you are planning to do can be boosted and be tons of fun. BUT and this is a huge but, they will costs tons of money before a built boosted engine exists. Buying one sets you back maybe 1000 at the most buying used stock motor. but then you got to build it even if your not doing a stroker kit and just getting a hot can maybe a more aggressive piston rod and some forged flatop pistons your looking at 1800 (majority is the pistons) just in parts. the money pit gets bigger the more you upgrade. that for a moderately built engine. A fully built metric mechanic engine goes for about 6.5k you could build you own for less but you still looking at 4 or so. Then you go boosting it with all the piping and parts there your looking at about 3k (which is less because if you built the engine all fuel supply and exhaust/intake balance should be taken care of). the good new is the light at the tunnel is getting bright but still dimm. finally new clutch and flywheel for sure just to be sure it can take the POWER!!!!!! then a rebalanced drive shaft and a good inspection of the diff to make sure it in good nic.

the lists goes on and on. if you looking for a engine to boost with great power to start and plentiful look twards the m50. its a better engine the swap is not much more complicated the the m20 and you will spend less then you would with the m20 cause you can get the m50 running good get some head bolts and slap a turbo and be off and running.

Edit: As far as turbo goes avoid audi/vw specialized turbos, other then that sky is the limit have fun if your dedicated and I mean truly dedicated. Do your research put parts you want in your engine (cause no one else will see them or ever know/care) not the new hotness. Take your time have fun and only look at the bill when its over cause its not for the feint of heart. Also you might go from loving your car to ****** to loving that is the life of every person who takes an engine build on. good luck.
    Last edited by IceBerg; 01-09-2015, 05:29 PM. Reason: added more stuff

Comment

Working...
    X