Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stance coilovers on an e30?

hey guys, my name is alex.
    i'm currently in the process of parting out my 95 240sx and i have a set of stance gr+ pro's that i bought for it.
    i'm pretty much only familiar with the basic slap on and go set ups with nissans and all this welding business and such for the e30 coilovers seems a bit too complicated for my simple mind. :/
    i know everyone recommends ground control.. but i figure since there will be cutting and welding involved anyway that i might be able to get away with s14 coilovers since i already have them right infront of me.
    i know this is a long stretch but would it be in any way possible?

here is an article about yuta and his insane 240z. http://motormavens.com/2009/10/cente...otan-s30-240z/
    he is using acura integra coilovers so i assumed i would be able to do the same here.
    "They actually worked great. I went ahead and welded the lower brackets to the shock tubes in a similar fashion as I did with the S13 coilovers, except this time I would adjust pre load and ride height independently."

i'm sorry for the wall of text and thank you in advance.

Your 240 coilovers bold on to the hub assembly

e30 coilovers have the hub assembly integrated into the strut housing

So no, you will need to buy new coilovers.

Comment

ah, well thank you for clearing that up.
      that's kind of a bummer.

Comment

where do all you people get this idea that you have to weld to do the gc kit ? everyone says it and its just not true. you dont HAVE to weld anything. you can use a $20 angle grinder and cut off your spring perches and boom .. slip the perch on and go.

Comment

Originally posted by 610EURO View Post
          where do all you people get this idea that you have to weld to do the gc kit ? everyone says it and its just not true. you dont HAVE to weld anything. you can use a $20 angle grinder and cut off your spring perches and boom .. slip the perch on and go.
          Surely you know by now that they all want to be as low as you and I are.

Comment

Pretty much E30s have their own little special coilover setup. Quite fun... means there are not a TON of options. The age doesn't help as well. TCKline/AST/GC are your best bet for handling setup. There are some eBay/Tuner options as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerteck View Post
              Surely you know by now that they all want to be as low as you and I are.
              you can go plenty low with un-shortened strut housings:

camber plates are required to give you that extra 1.5" lower then stock upper strut mounts, but cutting, shortening and welding strut housings isnt a necessity. most people wont go that low anyway

Comment

you can go plenty low with un-shortened strut housings:

camber plates are required to give you that extra 1.5" lower then stock upper strut mounts, but cutting, shortening and welding strut housings isnt a necessity. most people wont go that low anyway
                THe problem is suspension travel. Not that you can't go that low.

Comment

Originally posted by dinanm3atl View Post
                  THe problem is suspension travel. Not that you can't go that low.
                  i had more then enough suspension travel, i even had to add bumpstops to remove some travel. when your fenders are 2" from your wheel lips how much travel do you really want ? it doesnt matter if your suspension has a mile of travel when your rims are 2" away from fender.

Comment

You are claiming with stock length shocks and it slammed all the way down on the shocks you have 'too much' travel. That would go against every other review/discussion I have ever rear in relation to the GC Conversion kit.

Comment

i had more then enough suspension travel, i even had to add bumpstops to remove some travel. when your fenders are 2" from your wheel lips how much travel do you really want ? it doesnt matter if your suspension has a mile of travel when your rims are 2" away from fender.
                      you may have thought you had too much compression travel but that would be near impossible at the height you were at with unmodified housings.

With the perch mounted at the same height (measured from the spindle) the suspension with the shortened housing can compress 2" further without bottoming out the same shock insert, it will also have 2" less droop and 2" more room for active coils in it's stacked height giving you more spring options. Adding a second spring gives you more travel and the option for dual spring rates often eliminating the need for bumpstops all together in many applications. My fenders are less than 2" inches from my fenders and I still have 3" of compression before they stop, that is all in your choice of offset.

Erik

Comment

My wheels are about 1.5" from my fender lip and I have zero travel. Thats with 1" shortened housings too.

Comment

Working...
                        X