The Butterstick: 1970 Bmw 2002 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Butterstick: 1970 Bmw 2002 Build

I've been browsing here for some time but now that my car is undergoing major surgery again I'll start a thread here! Stuff is moving pretty slow right now since I'm busy with school and an internship but it will get done!

About the car:
    1970 BMW 2002 bought stock a year and a half ago. Did the complete suspension(coilovers + shocks, sway bars, bushings) and put it on some 15x7 et20 Enkei 92's. Those will be replaced by wider BBS RS, BBS RM or CCW Classics. When it's running again it'll be lowered some more too. So what's going on now? It's getting a new drivetrain, namely a turbo m10 and 5 speed. This thread is also on the 2002 forum so stuff is pretty detailed and BMW specific. Here are some pictures of the progression so far. I'm not pro photographer so give me a break The car is a bit lower now to the point where the rear tires are slightly under the fender but still not low enough. I have plenty of threads left in the front but I need to get an adjustable perch in the back and start cutting coils.

Stock

Wheels

Lowered

Ugly rear bumper over-riders are no longer there(not me in the pictures btw)

And lastly a picture taken by Mike B. himself last year at bimmerfest

Plans for the car:
    -Shooting for minimum 250whp
    -6 point cage after mechanicals
    -Maybe a new color
    -Wider wheels (got 15" Rs's Rm's or 16" CCWs? let me know!)

New Engine Mechanicals
    -E21 1.8L m10 completely rebuilt 18,000 miles ago with new pistons, rods, bearings etc.
    -stock internals in block and head
    -ARP head studs
    -MLS headgasket
    -Good&Tight aka Otis manifold
    -Garrett T3 .42 A/R turbo off Saab (Garrett dual ball bearing GT2860r will be here next week)
    -27"x7"x2.5" delta fin intercooler
    -HKS SSQV blow off valve
    -318i intake manifold
    -M52 throttle body
    -318i fuel rail
    -Getrag 240 5 speed

Electrics
    -Megasquirt II v3.57
    -Megasquirt relay board
    -Ford EDIS
    -Wideband o2
    -Glowshift oil temperature gauge
    -Glowshift oil pressure gauge
    -Glowshift volts gauge
    -Glowshift boost gauge
    -AEM wideband o2 gauge
    -Bosch 42 lb/hr Greentop injectors

Here is what I have completed so far or am in the process of making:
    -Engine bolted in
    -Transmission in
    -5 speed mounting bracket
    -Mounted EDIS brain and coilpack, and Megasquirt ECU and Relay board
    -Mounted Intercooler
    -Started wiring

-Shortened the shift platform for 5 speed
    I used the e21 3-series platform. All I did was cut off the length needed from the mounting place on the tranny and drilled 2 new holes.

-Shortened shift linkage
    Here I cut out a section of the linkage and welded 2 nuts on each side. I put a threaded rod inside so I can adjust it to be exactly in the center. While the shifter was out I had my friend weld a small piece of metal between the ball and the bottom of the shifter to make the throws shorter. This also means the center would have been off a bit so the adjustability will account for this.

-Console
    It's the original console but I took out the ash tray piece and the radio piece and made my own out of wood to house 3 gauges and my radio. I have the outline of the piece on paper if anyone wants to duplicate it. I wrapped it in vinyl I got from Jo-Ann fabrics. It was cheap and matches the pattern pretty well.

I followed the steps on the online guide posted below and the dye worked very well. I did however run into one problem. The shifter base platform was extremely faded where some parts were turning white, as you can see in the pictures. This meant that when I applied the "landau black" dye, it had absolutely no shininess and looked like flat black. To add a little shine so it would match the rest of the panels I bought some SEM gloss black dye as well. They did not have anything in between. I sprayed a layer over the landau black and let it dry. It turned out TOO shiny so I put a final very thin layer of landau over it again and it turned out a perfect match. By the way, the radio and the gauges both light up in a subtle green color so it doesn't look all riced out.

Here is how I attached my faceplate to the console. I screwed some aluminum angles into the existing holes. Then to keep the faceplate from moving around I got a threaded rod with matching screws and sort of clamped everything together. This means no visible screws in the front of the vinyl (yay) and it makes it possible to remove the faceplate without taking out the entire console (double yay).

Dye guide:
    1. Clean panels thoroughly with warm soapy water. Do not soak the panels rather dampen a rag and wipe them until they are very clean. This will not be done quickly.

2. Remove any soap residue using another rag with clean warm water using the same method as above.

3. Spray the part you plan on dying with SEM brand vinyl prep which can be found at any paint store. Once you spray it, let it sit for about 5 minutes and wipe any remaining residue away.

4. Spray water from a water bottle in a mist in the area you are going to dye and if water beads and runs move on to step 5. If water streams or soaks go back to step 3.

5. Apply a product called bulldog plastic prep. This will help seal cracks in the surface. Yes it will work on your vinyl. Apply as if you are painting the piece you plan on dyeing. I may not fill the crack completely and cracked leather/vinyl is still cracked, but this product acts as a bit of a primer and your dye will adhere to it like nothing else on the market.
    I put 2 layers of this since the vinyl absorbed it completely the first time. Let each layer dry for about 15 min.

6. Apply chosen color SEM dye. Someone above mentioned satin black as a perfect match for OEM black, that is incorrect information. The exact black interior color match is called Landau Black. Its between satin and semi gloss.
    I sprayed everyone once, let it sit for about 10 minutes and then sprayed everything a second time.

7. Let the panels sit in a warm environment for at least 24 hours before thinking of attempting to reinstall them. Then spend another 24 hours thinking about installing them. Then go ahead and install them. (48 hrs. to completely cure).

To do list:
    -battery box
    -mount battery cable with plastic cover
    -cut nose to fit turbo and wastegate (easy with new turbo)
    -throttle cable bracket
    -mount radiator and fan
    -shorten driveshaft
    -downpipe + exhaust
    -fuel pump + sender + run new fuel line
    -second gauge mount
    -Intake piping
    -WIRE IT ALL UP

Looks like an AMAZING project. Can't wait to see it all done, post plenty of pics along the way.

Personally, I think RSs would look cash on a 2002.
    1988 Toyota MR2 Supercharged
    Stance:Nation Feature | Build Thread

Comment

Starting to get a few '02s on here. I like that.

-1993 535i/5 NA-T

Comment

wow nice clean car, you don't see that everyday on the streets

Comment

update

Update after a Sunday of work
          -Got the old wiring out and started working on the new one.
          -Relay board is setup ready to bolt in and then I just have to run the individual wires to their respective components.
          -Also made my throttle cable bracket and mounted that up with the cable. -Started prepping the inside for the new carpet by removing some more of the tar and the rest of the old carpet.
          -Rigged up the speed cable to the 5-speed.
          -Ran the battery cable from the trunk into the engine bay

Hopefully Tuesday and I can finish a lot of the little stuff I started.

Onto the pictures:
          The Throttle cable bracket

Mounted

MS II Box

Relay board(almost done in the picture)

The old wiring

Engine bay (everything will be cleaned and painted when I'm done)

the turbo in the pictures is getting replaced by a Garrett dual ball-bearing GT2860r next weekend. Good for 360hp =) Also getting a new turbo style front spoiler soon.
          Still need a '91 318i fuel pump and sender.

Also always looking for 15" BBS RS or RM or 16" CCW Classic
          Last edited by stupenduzzman; 05-05-2010, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Update time:
            Got the 318is fuel pump and sender and put it in.
            Did a bunch more wiring, about half done now.
            Mounted the battery in the trunk with a rear tower brace.

Also got some more goodies,
            BBS RS 001s soon to be rebuilt to 15x7.5 and 15x8

My Dual ball bearing GT2860r(on left) also came

Aaaanddd so did my new front airdam. This will most likely mean the whole car is being repainted as there are a few rust bubbles forming all around the car and the paint quality is awful. Hopefully this happens over the summer.

Comment

Awesome project!!!! I like your center console setup!
              -Drake-

Check out: www.midwestce.net

Comment

I love the fact that you are rocking Brides in that car. Def unique!
                MB Obsidian Black Metallic Crossfire SRT-6
                Instagram - @osshwa

Comment

Dude I'm so glad to see you over here!
                  I lovelovelove your car. If you ever consider selling it, hit me up.

Comment

wowww...im very, very jealous.
                    round tail 02's are one of my favorite bmw's....good luck on what looks to be an amazing build.

www.effineuro.com

Comment

wowow!!!! what an awesome project, realy nice car and the plans sound so good!!!
                      i will look with attention the Turbo conversion of the M10!

Comment

love it so far, cant wait to see more progress of this

i have a weak spot for 2002s
                        Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

This build is awesome! I love how you mounted the gauges/radio, very clean!

Comment

oh yeah! i like this thread.

http://rivalhousegarage.com/

rivalhousegarage@gmail.com

Comment

Awesome thread is awesome.
                              Originally posted by da3bous
                              I want you to photoshop a giant penis down the side of my car

Comment

Working...
                              X