Any one else bored of patina cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any one else bored of patina cars?

I apologize if this convo has been had before (I did a quick search) but I just feel the need to get this off my chest….

Is any one else a little tired of the patina trend?

I've been a car guy since I was probably 5 (I'm 30 now) and I love everything from hot rods to Hondas to laid out mini vans. To my knowledge, from reading mags like Rod & Kulture over the years and being an avid fan of hot rods, that scene is where the patina trend got started. First it was well intentioned people with low budgets who decided to buck the trend of $100K hot rod builds. Hats off to those guys! Then it became fashionable and people started painting rods to "look worn." Kinda like designer jeans with holes and piss stains on them….

Now every show I go to that is something of the sort. It might even be something like a '95 Honda civic w/ a clean K swap… but the hood and roof are faded and beginning to rust.

I try to leave the ******** in the fridge, but I just miss the days of going to a car show and cars had paint… or at least all their body panels. One of my favorite aspects of this hobby is detailing paint, so maybe that why this patina thing has worn off it's welcome with me. Last week I hopped on Simply Clean and they had posted up the most beautiful, gloss black E30 M3. Even one of the commenters said, "That glossy paint." LOL!

Am I alone?

alohatruck by yogibryan, on Flickr

Natural patina = can be ok, especially if the car is a classic
    Faux patina = retarded in nearly every circumstance

Rusty is the ONLY car I've ever liked with non-natural patina
    Jason
    flickr
    build thread

Comment

Originally posted by Withers View Post

Can't say it any better than that.

Another patina that also comes to mind is the 'daily driver' patina. Cars like mine would fall under that category. The finish will clean up well and still looks good in pictures and at a quick glance. Up close it's a different story. Swirl marks, stone chips, small dents, little scratches, dings, and maybe a small rust bubble or two. Each mark tells a story about the car and owner. It's not a show car, it's not a garage queen or a trailer queen. It's a car that's been used in the manner it was ultimately designed for, reliable transportation everyday of the year.

As someone who doesn't have the funds and space for a daily driver and a project car, I respect the hell out of daily driver patina. While beautiful, flawless glass paint jobs are something I admire and respect the hell out of, it's not something I'll ever be able to afford.

The Kia has been parted.

Comment

It's situational. Patina is earned, not made. Simple as that.
        IG: ashtonlafleur

Comment

Totally agree. Also depends on the car, honestly. Big classic cars and trucks are where it's at for Patina.

It's a work in progress^
          Instagram: @jared_hin

The Snaab: Saab 9-5 Build Thread
          Battle Stanced '67 Mercury Cougar

Comment

I think this is in the same realm, that primer =/= flat/matte black. See this too often.

@finalbossjosh

Comment

Patina sucks, on everything.

Just my $.02

Comment

I love patina in general. Moreso if its a daily then a Weekend cruiser.

As for the Faux Patina and rust, Some I like some I don't. A good friend of mine and pinstriper did it to his daily Titan with Spray cans and flat clear and turned out Sick
                Originally posted by Jesus Christ
                he mustve enjoyed that bj.

i know for a fact you chubby bitches could suck the air bubbles out of a brake line

Comment

You're confusing patina with crappy cars. There are so many beat cars out there now because everyone is raised on the "if they can do it why can't I?" standpoint. Someone sees a beat car at a show, they say hey mine is beat I can do that too and it just builds from there.

Patina is gracefull aging. It's not a dent you got while trying to drift.

Comment

Originally posted by benz88 View Post
                    That's the worst shit i've ever seen.

If its earned and it looks nice, cool. don't intentionally do it.

"scene" kids take stuff that people have been doing for decades and turn them into trends and them turn around and "****" them a year or so later. That's really what im bored of.

Comment

Originally posted by Byron View Post
                      You're confusing patina with crappy cars. There are so many beat cars out there now because everyone is raised on the "if they can do it why can't I?" standpoint. Someone sees a beat car at a show, they say hey mine is beat I can do that too and it just builds from there.

Patina is gracefull aging. It's not a dent you got while trying to drift.
                      Good point.

alohatruck by yogibryan, on Flickr

Comment

i like patina, rat style or rust look whatever you call it...but it has to be real (not necessarily natural patina), not fake airbrushed shit or rustpaint stuff...but it depends on the car and the cars look at all...
                        I drive what I want, and what I ain't drivin' I don't want...

Comment

regardless of natural and unnatural patina it is based on the vehicle it is put on. some rides that may even have natural rust and or patina just don't look good. then there are also vehicles that pull the look off well even if it is forced patina or 'un-natural' for example HooWybrow s10 pulled the rusted look off better than the majority of show built ratrods. then again like i said before some rides just can't pull it off regardless how it was gone about.

Comment

Eh, i think a crappy car is a crappy car. There are some cars that look great with all the dents and rust and such, and some cars look great when the owner made them to look like that. Its another trend that people are drawn to because it is different then the "show car" scene, its been the same way for too long, and people just want something different.

I **** the "murder out" flat black look. But some cars pull it off and look great, the civic down the street that the kid just spray painted be cause he wanted the "look" is a crappy car, and thus looks like so.

Comment

Originally posted by aLaFleur View Post
                              It's situational. Patina is earned, not made. Simple as that.
                              Sweet, all the rust spots on the 500 are like battle scars.

1989 Chevy Camaro RS | 1981 Mercedes 500SE AMG

Originally posted by Skraight.
                              And don't let the **** from the guy above get to you, he said he is saving up to buy a del sol lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X