Calling All Steering Wheel Gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling All Steering Wheel Gurus

I didn't know where else to post this so it went in here.

Picked up this wheel today and I have no idea what it is.

The only markings on it are "made in italy" on the back.

If anyone can get me some info that would be great. Thanks!

Pics:

Id say its a personal.

Anything made in Italy is Nardi, Personal, momo.....
    Originally posted by anth
    Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

I would guess Personal to, and it's missing the centerpiece.

Comment

Originally posted by Oxer View Post
        Id say its a personal.

Anything made in Italy is Nardi, Personal, momo.....
        Originally posted by DutchStance View Post
        I would guess Personal to, and it's missing the centerpiece.
        Thanks for the replies. Yea I am pretty sure it isn't a Nardi since it has a 5 bolt pattern instead of 6, but then again when I searched personal wheels they didn't have a 5 bolt pattern either. Such a mystery.

Comment

Just an idea.. Dino steering wheel? they have 5bolt steeringwheels and they are quite rare. Also made in italy
          Project car: MB 190E M50 Turbo build
          Now: MB W211 320cdi
          Ex:MB 190E M50, BMW E39 530d

Comment

Originally posted by Exami View Post
            Just an idea.. Dino steering wheel? they have 5bolt steeringwheels and they are quite rare. Also made in italy
            Thanks for the input. I just did a quick search on Dino wheels and came up with a wheel that is really close to mine, but still no 5 bolt pattern sadly. Also mine has a small hole drilled in each of the three spokes (You can see it in the first pic). Does any specific wheel manufacturer do this typically? Thanks for the replies. I am going to find out what this wheel is one way or another haha.

Here is the wheel I found: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/400386864945?lpid=82

Comment

Those 3 holes are there for sum sort of cover over the center. Had a few wheels that had them. 5-holes makes it quit rare i think.

Comment

Originally posted by DutchStance View Post
                Those 3 holes are there for sum sort of cover over the center. Had a few wheels that had them. 5-holes makes it quit rare i think.
                I didn't even think about that. Thanks for pointing that out. Well I guess its really going to be hard to find out what it is since there is no cover. I am still searching around though.

Comment

I bet its something like this originally... found that photo googling "Dino 3 spoke 5 bolt"

Closest i've found info on that steering wheel:
                  DINO 3-SPOKE FAUX
                  Last edited by Exami; 10-22-2013, 01:56 PM.
                  Project car: MB 190E M50 Turbo build
                  Now: MB W211 320cdi
                  Ex:MB 190E M50, BMW E39 530d

Comment

I know all Grant steering wheels are 5 bolt pattern, and according to their website they have a factory in Italy.

I have never seen a Grant steering wheel with the made in Italy stamp but I don't see why it couldn't if they have a factory in USA, Mexico, Asia and Italy.

Comment

It's a grant wheel. There's a centerpiece that was supposed to go with it. Dino wheels were 6 bolt.
                      Beware before i triple dare you like the last kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Exami View Post

I bet its something like this originally... found that photo googling "Dino 3 spoke 5 bolt"

Closest i've found info on that steering wheel:
                        DINO 3-SPOKE FAUX
                        Originally posted by Skraight. View Post
                        I know all Grant steering wheels are 5 bolt pattern, and according to their website they have a factory in Italy.

I have never seen a Grant steering wheel with the made in Italy stamp but I don't see why it couldn't if they have a factory in USA, Mexico, Asia and Italy.
                        Originally posted by Ryal. View Post
                        It's a grant wheel. There's a centerpiece that was supposed to go with it. Dino wheels were 6 bolt.
                        That is what I am leaning towards. It is a strong possibility that it is a Grant. I still cant find anything that looks like this wheel with a centerpiece under Grant though. Dino still has the closest looking wheel to it, but it is a 6 bolt. Oh well, it is probably a Grant and I am just wasting my time.

In other news I picked up another wheel today from a junkyard! Lets restart the process! It is pretty rough, but at least I know it is a Raid.

Pics:

On the back it says Raid 5D, but when I search that nothing comes up. I found a wheel that is pretty close to it called the Raid Streifen which has the same colored wood and black line running around the whole wheel. It has a centerpiece though and my wheel does not have holes for a center piece.

Pic of that wheel:

Comment

Here in Italy there was also a lot of small producers of automotive parts and a lot of steering wheels were produced here for other brands and other markets so it's possibile they are not from famous brands like momo, nardi, personal etc.

5 holes are quite rare. most have 6 holes rotated like the momo layout. but 7 holes are common too and were used on abarth and racing lancia/alfa cars.

but a good quality wooden steering wheel with no cracks is always a good purchase.

Comment

I just picked up a Dino wheel as well for my 944. Previous owner says his dad pulled it off an early 914 decades ago. Has pretty old looking Porsche horn button intact and is in excellent shape. Just trying to find out what I have here..only markings are "Dino" on the front, and "1 91 2" and "made in italy" on the back. It is a 6 bolt..6x74 I think. So Nardi hub or adapter to momo needed.

Ill update with pics as soon as I get them hosted.

Comment

Working...
                            X