Cut Springs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cut Springs...

A buddy of mine wants to cut some Dinan springs for his E34 touring. What should we use to get it done? What kind of cutter? or should we just take it to some shop? I know absolutely nothing about cutting springs I wouldnt even know what kind of shop to take it to...Im a coilover guy
    thanks in advance
    -MG

Use an angle grinder with a cut off wheel.

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

Comment

cut springs FTW

Comment

Cutting springs is the cheapest route to take but by no means is it the easiest route to take if you want it to look good. In order for it to work the best you should be going for a slightly lower look instead of a SLAMMED look. The Strut/Shock will immediately get destroyed if you slam it by cutting. If you're doing it yourself, you'll have to disassemble the front suspension to get to the springs. Then cut maybe one and a half coils on both front springs and reinstall and put the weight back on the ground to see where your at as far as lowness. You will have to keep doing this until you achieve the desired height (only cutting at least half a coil at a time). Most likely you will have to cut your bumpstop at least in half, or you will get the bouncy effect. There is no way to know exactly how much cutting to do for a specific height. It will require lotz of time and patience. With that being said are you willing to do it...? I dont know of any shop that would do that for you, unless you know a Lowrider shop close by that deals w/hydraulics n such. They do it all the time, but stance isnt their game. You know...?
        sigpic
        2001 Black Audi A4
        on 19" Axis Speed Six

Comment

I had no choice but to cut my springs ( till I find some sort of retro fit ) and its not that bad at all, if your struts/shocks are good. Some aftermarkets might be in order but my car for example has great struts from stock and no aftermarket regardless.

The problem people dont consider is the bump stops. Lowering might not always require cutting the bump stops but slamming almost always will. If you dont do the bump stops thats when your strut/shock will bottom out and become destroyed. Excessive heat is what almost always damages the spring.

My overall feel of the ride barely changed but dont go thinking your over all performance will be greater. If your going low and riding slow do it. If you want to perform on canyon like roads save up and get a proper set of coil overs. To stop my springs from damage caused by excessive heat I not only used a cut off wheel but I let our hose run water on the spring while cutting.

I started with one full coil. That wasnt enough and I did another quarter last night and will probably do another half by the time Im done but all cars are different.

Some grinders are cheap, so are cut off wheels. The wheels the grinder will come with will probably hold up for the extent of the project anyway.

Old post by now,but I'll share my experience since it obviously lingers around.

Comment

Working...
          X