Story time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Story time.

So work is slow and I need something to do. I'm just gonna rant for a few minutes. Feel free to ignore this.

I've been wanting to say this for a long time so here it goes. Ever since I started working on cars, heck even before I got my first car I was online looking through forums and other places for pictures, info, inspiration, and ideas on what to do with my car. I started out by joining Bimmerfest. I soon found out that the E36 M3 forum over there is just a waste land. No one is on that site. So I left there and joined BF.c. Their M3 section was much more populated. When I had questions I actually got answers. Which was nice, but everything I asked always had to be followed by a "why didn't you just use the search button?' or a massive argument about something completely stupid.

I really don't understand why people like treating people who like me, are(were) new, unexperienced, or sometimes just a little ditsy like they are inferior. I know that most of you started somewhere and had silly questions to ask. But we all do it and once the question is asked we can learn and the information is then available to anyone who searches. All this arguing and bitching and complaining has made it 10x harder to find answers. Instead of just going online searching a problem or question and simply clicking to find an answer, I have to scroll through 5 different threads of bitching, complaining, arguing, and beating around the bush before I can find a definitive solution or answer.

If people spent as much time helping people as they did bitching about how no one can use a search bar, the forums would be filled with so much more usefull information.

I know I'm to blame for this as well. There have been a few times where I bitched. But I'd like to say I've been pretty helpful. I've written a couple of DIYs that are now stickies on BF.c. I also really enjoy helping people out so I guess that's just me. But we all know someone out there who doesn't do anything but complain and argue.

I will say that Stance|Works is the best community I've been with. You guys are great, always helpful, always positive, and funny as shit (at least in off topic.) So thank you all for being nice. It makes me all fuzzy.

Anyway there was no real point to this. Just wanted to throw my opinion to the interwebs.

Other thoughts are always welcome.

Sup. Call me Z.
    My Accord "build".

Comment

Let me put in my 2 cents.

Growing up, I was not spoon-fed the answers to everything. If I wanted a 17x9" wheel to fit on my car, I did my homework and did the best I could at figuring out what it would take to pull off.

And then, I went out and did it.

It's one thing to provide a helping hand- we've all started from somewhere and needed some guidance along the way. It's a completely different argument for people who are too lazy to search, do their homework, and try it for themselves.

It makes me grind my teeth when I see the same thread, week after week: "Hey so I bought these rims will they fit on my car?". Yeah, let me just drop everything to figure it out for you. "I bought these wheels, test fitted them, and this is what I've got. I think I need to roll my fenders and trim this tab, has anyone done something similar for a reference?" Okay, you've tried and you need a little help. Pat on the back.

TL;DR: Spoon feeding people answers only promotes people to be lazy. Helping those who help themselves is a different story.
      Last edited by MommysLittleMonster; 09-12-2013, 12:44 PM.
      BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
      Originally posted by Ollie
      We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for his life.

People are lazy and prefer not to do any work for instant results, part of the downward spiral of human kind.

Comment

Originally posted by MommysLittleMonster View Post
          TL;DR: Spoon feeding people answers only promotes people to be lazy. Helping those who help themselves is a different story.
          Originally posted by Z.Cockburn View Post
          People are lazy and prefer not to do any work for instant results, part of the downward spiral of human kind.
          Nailed it.
          Originally posted by MommysLittleMonster
          Internet high five for you.

Comment

Both of you guys are correct. The laziness is something I really despise. But I can say that a lot of people aren't like that. One thing I always try to keep in mind is that some people aren't as mechanically inclined as others. I know when I first started working on cars I knew the very basics. How to turn a wrench, and how to use a hammer. I started learning as I took things apart.

On another note. Some of the people who ask questions are those who are trying to research. I thoroughly support that. People who ask what oil or what suspension is best for them have no idea what they're doing. I know I didn't. Now that I'm drifting and I understand dampening, rebound, and spring rates I would never have ordered the set up I have now. I tried to do all the research I could. It just wasn't enough. And that's all part of a big learning process.

I still ask questions occasionally but only when I get stuck and at a shop last night the owner made a very good point to me which I really like. He said
            "It's better to take the time ask questions and get help then it is to run in break something and end up spending more money."

So I support people asking for help. But I really dislike those who ask to have things laid out for them.

Comment

One thing I have never understood, why do people waste their time replying in a thread telling someone to search? If you know the answer to their question, post it. If you don't know the answer, and you know its been answered, link them to the appropriate thread. If you want to be a smart ass, click the back button. It's a simple concept most internet jackasses can't comprehend.

Comment

^this
                I drive what I want, and what I ain't drivin' I don't want...

Comment

^If shit like that doesn't piss you off then fuck you.

IG: @_olliee

Comment

Originally posted by jrcanes55 View Post
                    Both of you guys are correct. The laziness is something I really despise. But I can say that a lot of people aren't like that. One thing I always try to keep in mind is that some people aren't as mechanically inclined as others. I know when I first started working on cars I knew the very basics. How to turn a wrench, and how to use a hammer. I started learning as I took things apart.

On another note. Some of the people who ask questions are those who are trying to research. I thoroughly support that. People who ask what oil or what suspension is best for them have no idea what they're doing. I know I didn't. Now that I'm drifting and I understand dampening, rebound, and spring rates I would never have ordered the set up I have now. I tried to do all the research I could. It just wasn't enough. And that's all part of a big learning process.

I still ask questions occasionally but only when I get stuck and at a shop last night the owner made a very good point to me which I really like. He said
                    "It's better to take the time ask questions and get help then it is to run in break something and end up spending more money."

So I support people asking for help. But I really dislike those who ask to have things laid out for them.
                    this. the first thing i ever did to my car was try to take the hubcaps off when i first got it(steelies ftw lol....) and i unbolted the wheel without jacking the car up. needless to say it was an interesting learning experience. and even though i now know a good bit about cars, suspension, wheels, offsets, tires, etc. there is still plenty of things i dont know how to do or whatever.

what i **** is that people always have to act like they are the smartest shit/you are the stupidest shit if you ask a "dumb" question. whether its on the web or at a car meet. that shit pisses me off. sorry for trying to learn something new.

IG: Nick475

Comment

Originally posted by Ollie View Post
                      http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=49426

^If shit like that doesn't piss you off then fuck you.
                      Yeah that's exactly my point. No research or effort was put into that. Dude just asked because he has no idea what he's doing and doesn't want to learn.

Originally posted by Nick475 View Post
                      this. the first thing i ever did to my car was try to take the hubcaps off when i first got it(steelies ftw lol....) and i unbolted the wheel without jacking the car up. needless to say it was an interesting learning experience. and even though i now know a good bit about cars, suspension, wheels, offsets, tires, etc. there is still plenty of things i dont know how to do or whatever.

what i **** is that people always have to act like they are the smartest shit/you are the stupidest shit if you ask a "dumb" question. whether its on the web or at a car meet. that shit pisses me off. sorry for trying to learn something new.
                      Yeah man I completely understand. But you can understand where I'm coming from. If you put in the work, the research, and the effort and you get stuck, it's one thing. But people who can't or won't actually get out there and apply themselves don't deserve help.

Comment

Comment

^
                          Sup. Call me Z.
                          My Accord "build".

Comment

I didnt read what you typed really but something was like "best community here"

The community here is really shitty.

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid Kid View Post
                              I didnt read what you typed really but something was like "best community here"

The community here is really shitty.
                              It's better than BF.c

I'm sure many people can atest to this.

Comment

Working...
                              X