Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D.I.Y Weighted shift knob, for under 15 bucks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D.I.Y Weighted shift knob, for under 15 bucks.

hey all,
    I came up with this idea about 3 years ago when i had my FB RX-7. i wanted a heavy, weighted shift knob, but didnt want to spend 50+ bucks on one. So i came up with this alternative.
    Go to your local tractor supply/Walmart/TruValue, and get a 2" trailer hitch ball.
    they run about 10-15 bucks.

Next, take a cutoff wheel/hacksaw and cut the big ass bolt part off.

Once that has been removed, you should be left with a ball, a solid steel ball, that weighs a ton.

grind off any remaining stub, or keep it there if you like. next step is to secure it in a vice. (use a cloth to keep the surface scratch free) and drill a 1/8 pilot hole down the center, slowly working up in bit size until you reach the shifter shaft size.

next step is to tap the shifter shaft, and inner of the ball to the same pitch/size.

then screw on and enjoy!

I didnt include any tap or bit sizes, as depending on what you put it on, the size will differ.
    i also powdercoated mine black, but the original chrome isnt bad.
    hope you guys like the idea!

...This is fucking brilliant.
    BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
    Originally posted by Ollie
    We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

Damn. Awesome idea but the one thing that bothers me as with all steel shift knobs is the temperature extremes. Nonetheless, +1 for thinking out the box.
      Sup. Call me Z.
      My Accord "build".

Comment

To ne honest, even on the hottest days its never too hot to hang on to. Winter may be a different story lol.

Comment

Really? I might have to do this then.
          Sup. Call me Z.
          My Accord "build".

Comment

Keep in mind I powdercoated mine. A raw Chrome one may get warm. My buddy is running a brushed one in his miata. Never mentioned it getting hot.

Comment

I'll probably brush it if I ever do it. Gotta keep it on the cheap.
              Sup. Call me Z.
              My Accord "build".

Comment

I hear that. Only reason I got mine powdercoated was because we got a powder gun at work and had to test it on something lol.

Comment

Haha! If only I had access to a powder gun. Oh well.
                  Sup. Call me Z.
                  My Accord "build".

Comment

this is such a good idea, you should make them in mass and sell them for $25 a piece

Comment

This is a great idea

Sent from my HTC 3D using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Man awesome idea thanks for sharing, deff going to try this !

Comment

cool idea, i think it could look cool with the lower "nut" portion left on it for something different
                          Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Very cool idea.

Comment

Working...
                            X