Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

straight pipes/open exhaust cut out on mb clk 430?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• straight pipes/open exhaust cut out on mb clk 430?

hey guys,
    i've been thinking of either removing my muffler and resonator and putting in a straight pipe, or installing an open exhaust cut out with a switch to choose when i want to bypass the cats and muffler and when i don't. what are the pros and cons of all of this? bad mileage? less horsepower/torque? bad for the engine?

some people have been telling me that because there is less back pressure with straight pipes, i may end up harming my engine. is this true?

here's what i was thinking of for the open exhaust cut out

Experience enhanced performance and powerful exhaust sound with Quick Time Performance Electric Exhaust Cutouts. Control volume and power with a switch for street cruising or track adventures.
    Last edited by steve0827; 03-03-2010, 06:54 PM.
    -Stephen

2012 Audi S4(6MT)-V1, K40 RL360, Laser Interceptor Quad, APR Stage 2+ w/ pulley, AWE catback(w/ non-resonated downpipes), H&R Coilovers, 19x10 ET36 Vossen VVSCV1

2010 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible (PDK)-Fabspeed muffler delete pipes eventually

2000 Mercedes Benz CLK430 Coupe

Good question. I remember reading somewhere on the web that there is a rule to straight pipes. Something like at least 4 feet if its 2.5 wide but I don't remember. In the same thread someone chimed in and was like "so that's what I fu*ked up my ride" I think the thread was over at ViPstyleCARS dot com. I'll do some digging and chime back in with a link if I locate it.

Comment

Originally posted by NELSON09 View Post
      Good question. I remember reading somewhere on the web that there is a rule to straight pipes. Something like at least 4 feet if its 2.5 wide but I don't remember. In the same thread someone chimed in and was like "so that's what I fu*ked up my ride" I think the thread was over at ViPstyleCARS dot com. I'll do some digging and chime back in with a link if I locate it.
      thanks!
      dope w210 btw
      -Stephen

2012 Audi S4(6MT)-V1, K40 RL360, Laser Interceptor Quad, APR Stage 2+ w/ pulley, AWE catback(w/ non-resonated downpipes), H&R Coilovers, 19x10 ET36 Vossen VVSCV1

2010 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible (PDK)-Fabspeed muffler delete pipes eventually

2000 Mercedes Benz CLK430 Coupe

Comment

after the 02 sensors you should be just fine, your engine isn't going to know the difference. the only issue i could see is that you run too lean because of the lack of cat and restrictions. if you're that nervous about it, borrow a friend's wideband tuner, take off the exhaust and hook it up and see what the car is burning at
        1988 Toyota MR2 Supercharged
        Stance:Nation Feature | Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by steve0827 View Post
          thanks!
          dope w210 btw
          Thanks man, still working on gettin that info for you. Was thinking about just strait pyping my E and kicking some chizeled tips out 45 degree angled like all Brabus styled instead of picking up a Brabus muffler in my area for $600. I'm still hunting that thread down man.

Comment

Working...
          X