Canon 7D vs Canon T2i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon 7D vs Canon T2i

I am just copying and pasting most post from POTN, I am asking you guys what you think will be better for me because well you are all automotive photographers.

Ok so I know I shouldn't even be making this comparison but I really don't know what I should spend my money on here.

Video is extremely important hence why I chose these 2, from what I have heard the video quality is pretty much equal.

I plan on doing a LOT of automotive photography, and I go to a lot of events outside (drift, drag), and in low light (not always and low light is generally with stationary cars).
    Is the 8.0 fps on the 7D going to really be that much of a big deal for me or will the 3.7 fps be enough?
    Are there really any features that the 7D has that will truly benefit me over the X2i? I know that low light pictures will look better on the 7D because it the higher ISO images have less grain (but is it really that much less?)

This is not a my first SLR I did have a XSi before, but I sold that to get a camera that does the all important HD video.

Is there really a reason for me to spend the $900 more on the 7D based on what I do? Sorry for asking so many questions I just want to make sure I am buying what suits my needs best.

Thanks a lot,

-Kielan
    - Kielan (Key-lin)

I love my 7D. I think the TSI is too small. I like a little more weight that 7D offers.

If you are shooting motorsports I think you will like the 8fps

I can say the 7D is awesome. Great out of the box.

Comment

That's what I have heard, but really what I am concerned about is using the kit lens, if I get the T2i I will be able to get some really good glass but if I get the 7D I won't be able to do that.

I know that the 8 fps really is a nice feature but is it really all that necessary? I mean I am not taking these photos for profit because I am not a photographer by career, I mean I can do a shoot here and there on the side for some cash but thats it really. All in all, I am not entirely sure what is the best route but judging from what I have read, the T2i and a nice lens is what I should do because the IQ differences between the 2 is negligible.
      - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

I got the kit just cause it was the only thing availible but I got something with IS I never use LOL I should sell it.

Comment

honestly,

the 3.6 vs 8 fps really won't matter a whole lot, even if your doing motosports. The only other discernible difference is the case and the size of the camera. IMO, just get the T2i and get some good glass.

You'll be able to shoot at f2.8 rather than f4-6 or whatever, and it will help you get the right shots. Glass is just as important as the body imo.
          iiililillillliliil
          bar|society

Comment

Here's my thoughts, having never used either (well, I played with 7D a bit when I was at BH, but that's it).

The FPS should not be a concern. I've shot several motorsports events, and spoken with numerous photogs at each, and contrary to the popular belief, FPS when panning is really not worth anything. More important than holding that trigger down through an entire turn on course is making sure you're following the subject carefully and keeping them framed properly...If you're clicking away at FPS, you're barely able to see through the viewfinder while panning, therefore drastically dropping your ability to maintain proper composition and smooth, fluid motion.

Aside from that aspect, if you're trying to do a 10-15 shot composition of a snowboarder hitting a kicker, that's a different story...you want all the FPS you can get.

When it comes to the cameras themselves, you'll be much happier, as will your hand, with the 7D. It's a lot larger and sturdier camera, especially with a heavier, nicer lens. The Rebel series bodies are tiny, and even with a moderately sized zoom, like the 17-85 or 28-135, will be straining your hand (unless you've got tiny, strong-ass hands, haha).

As far as the video goes, I didn't look into it, but I am pretty sure the HD video interface is the same between the two cameras. Same resolution, processing, etc.

That's my .02, having never extensively used either. haha.
            SDOBBINS PhotographyMore Than MoreMTM Facebook@morethanmoreusaCars & Cameras Photography Show • 9/26-9/29 • Ocean City, MD

Comment

im not gonna judge, i have a 7D. ive had it for less than a month. ( i had a xti before) ive never used a t2i.. but i love my 7D.. the 8fps is fckn wicked.. and the auto-focus system is out of hand. i say you get whats in your budget range. ex. the 7d body is $1800 , and the t2i kit is 900 iirc. so u could buy the t2i and get two decent lenses instead of spending 1800 on the body only. thats my 2 cents

edit: FYI the 5dmkii is only 5 fps.. so yea like sdobbins says... its not a concern.
              Gear List:
              Eos 7D
              EF-S 10 -22

www.Flickr.com/photos/koreychang

Comment

The more I look into it FPS really doesn't seem to matter that much. I think I will go with the T2i and get some nice glass to go with it.
                - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

The 7d focuses faster with quality glass on it and locks focus better in low light situations. Could be critical if you shoot in a low light enviroment often.

Erik

Comment

Leave it to a Greg to think small :P

Comment

To add in from a videographer side of things, the 7D having better ISO performance also is directly related to the video. One great thing about awesome high ISO capabilities it that it allows for excellent low light video, more so than even most high end camcorders can achieve. Also with either cam, for decent sound you'll need to pick up something like the Rode VideoMic.

In addition, the 7D has some amazing weather sealing, and I believe the T2i does not and is a plastic body.
                      Last edited by WhiteStripes; 03-04-2010, 05:20 PM.

Comment

You are right about the weather sealing, but I can't really justify an additional $900 for the 7D, I mean the added features really are good, but are they $900 good, I have looked at IQ tests on both cameras, and they really do perform pretty much equally.

In terms of Mics yeah I am gunna pic up an external mic once I get the camera, I know all to well that internal mics suck ass.
                        - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

Originally posted by prodigee View Post
                          You are right about the weather sealing, but I can't really justify an additional $900 for the 7D, I mean the added features really are good, but are they $900 good, I have looked at IQ tests on both cameras, and they really do perform pretty much equally.

In terms of Mics yeah I am gunna pic up an external mic once I get the camera, I know all to well that internal mics suck ass.
                          Cool deal man, honestly, for what you're doing I say the T2i and a good L lens is going to do you just fine.

Comment

Yeah thats what I keep hearing. I am sure that in the long run I will upgrade anyway, perhaps if Canon announces a 60D with HD video? O.o
                            - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

I recently went from an XT to a 7D and I love it. I checked out the T1i and I liked the feel of the 7D better.

If you are worried about price, consider this:

I purchased mine for 1,499 for the body only, on ebay. But used bing cash back and got 120 back so really, I paid 1,380. I think thats a great deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X