Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Way To Seal Threads To Prevent Air Leaks?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Way To Seal Threads To Prevent Air Leaks?

What's up guys after installing my uas air bags they were leaking horribly. Me and my friend used Teflon and tightened the fitting as much as possible but still got leaks. I read that you could use loctite 565 to seal it up but was wondering if anyone recommends something to
    Use or if I should go ahead and use loctite? I don't want to use Teflon again because we tried 3 times and still got leaks.

Please help!!

Follow Me On Instagram/Twitter: @0mg350z

Many people use/recommend Loctite, but I still stand by teflon tape. It does take some practice to get it right. Your goal is to fill the space between the threads, meaning you shouldn't have to tighten the crap out it. You need to have the fitting wrapped enough times so that you compress the tape sufficiently before bottoming out the threads. Most of my connections took about 3-4 wraps. Test-fit the threads dry first and get a feel for how the threads fit... there's a balance between how much tape you use and how far the fitting can thread in.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleAnderson View Post
      Many people use/recommend Loctite, but I still stand by teflon tape. It does take some practice to get it right. Your goal is to fill the space between the threads, meaning you shouldn't have to tighten the crap out it. You need to have the fitting wrapped enough times so that you compress the tape sufficiently before bottoming out the threads. Most of my connections took about 3-4 wraps. Test-fit the threads dry first and get a feel for how the threads fit... there's a balance between how much tape you use and how far the fitting can thread in.
      Ahh okay cool, we tried Teflon tape multiple times and everytime we used it I had leaks. He's installed air before and said he always does it the same way which is why I was leaning towards loctite. Generally which would be easier to work with? Does loctite give a air tight seal, and how exactly do you apply the loctite? Just wondering in case I give up on teflon

Comment

I use Loctite 545 on my fittings, works great and it's easy to apply. Apply a drop on the threads and tighten. Careful not to tighten too much or u will crack the port.

Comment

Okay cool thanks alot guys ill try it out !

Comment

I use teflon myself and have never had a leak. And you definitely don't want to tighten it all the way. Just enough to where the taps starts to bind/bubble up then you stop. Its tough to get at first, just keep at it.

Comment

I too use Teflon tape without any leak issues. You need to make sure you tape the fittings the correct way or else the Teflon tape will start to unravel as you screw in your fittings which will cause leaks.

- www.bagriders.com - Email us at: sales@bagriders.com -

- Did you find a lower price? We Price Match! -

Comment

We have a lot of success with Loc-tite.
                Lowrider Depot

Comment

I totally forgot we made this video on the proper way to apply thread tape to fittings

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqPCINGw3tc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqPCINGw3tc[/ame]

But if Loctite 565 is your jam, it's easy to find and we have it for sale too. Just make sure to let it dry completely before pressurizing your system.

- www.bagriders.com - Email us at: sales@bagriders.com -

- Did you find a lower price? We Price Match! -

Comment

i use both teflon tape and loctite. as long as you lay it down correctly.

Comment

pipe dope

Comment

Depending on my mood, I use either teflon tape or Rectorseal T Plus 2. The Rectorseal is really amazing, and IMO, it does a little better job lubing the threads than teflon tape, but it's an absolute mess to work with. You also don't have to wait for it to dry before testing the system, which is pretty rad. On the install in my Benz, I used all teflon tape just so I didn't have to clean up any sealant, and I don't have any leaks there either.

I don't know what fittings the OP is fighting with, but I've found that if you're working with brass bushings, tees, and elbows, particularly the smaller ones like 1/4" and 1/8", that once they've been used once, they're junk. NPT threads are tapered, and the wall thickness on bushings and tees is thin enough that they stretch out a little when installed, making a second installation never seal quite right. Maybe I just use particularly cheap ones
                        Last edited by Oh Damn, it's Sam; 07-29-2013, 06:05 PM.

Comment

much or u will crack the port.

Comment

i never updated this thread! thanks alot for the help guys i ended up using loctite and worked like a charm!

Comment

Originally posted by skygear
                              Interesting how I have been reading the different methods people prefer. VIAIR says NOT to use Teflon tape. Thats all I ever used. Loctite was not always the easiest thing to find and defaulted to Teflon tape.

Is there really a CORRECT way to do it? or is this dependent on a specific pressure rating?
                              Teflon tape is fine. Viair doesn't recommend it because bits can end up getting in valves and making them stick. As long as there's nothing loose hanging past the threads of the fitting, it won't be an issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X