Bored, Q's about fwd -> rwd .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bored, Q's about fwd -> rwd .

In brief. How much work is it and how is the difficulty of building a front-wheel drive car to rear wheel drive?

Got a free car and a long summer without work coming up.

The car is an '85 Saab 900.
    Gonna get rid of the engine and gear.

Want no h4ters here, I'm bored and ready for a challenge, and some fun.

I dont care about road legal, gonna be used for show/fun and maybe track.

I need tips and opinons about cutting it apart and setting up engine, driftshaft and rear axel.
    What is the most easy setup, want about 220-250bhp (300?) or adequate bhp to do burnouts.

Fire away, the car is ready!
    -96 Chevrolet S10 (DD)
    -85 Saab 900 (Project)
    PhotoBlog
    Spotted In Narvik

Also want it low and with widened steelies. But we'll get to that later.
    -96 Chevrolet S10 (DD)
    -85 Saab 900 (Project)
    PhotoBlog
    Spotted In Narvik

Comment

Not trying to be a dick but if you have to ask you probably can't afford it...

Comment

Originally posted by Take2 View Post
        Not trying to be a dick but if you have to ask you probably can't afford it...
        If he has to ask, he probably doesn't have the knowledge for it either.

Comment

I did ask because I tought we would get down to the cost at some point:
          And no, I dont have the knowledge, thats why I asked.

As said, I just have this free car standing, some time on my hands and I'm willing to hear peoples input.
          -96 Chevrolet S10 (DD)
          -85 Saab 900 (Project)
          PhotoBlog
          Spotted In Narvik

Comment

Unless you already have some sort of fabrication, welding, wiring and paint work. Dont attempt. I am sure a quick search on google will lead to many results

Comment

Originally posted by mrg7243 View Post
              Unless you already have some sort of fabrication, welding, wiring and paint work. Dont attempt. I am sure a quick search on google will lead to many results

Swapping to a RWD is a difficult task that doesn't have universal instructions. It's not simply a wall of text that can get it through. If you have a free car just chillin, and have money to spend, do something more worth while than a drivetrain swap.

Comment

Take FWD car.

Sell FWD car.

Buy RWD car.

Be happy.
                BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
                Originally posted by Ollie
                We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

Originally posted by Celli View Post

Swapping to a RWD is a difficult task that doesn't have universal instructions. It's not simply a wall of text that can get it through. If you have a free car just chillin, and have money to spend, do something more worth while than a drivetrain swap.
                  Just dont talk, have you done it? I bet not.

A quick google search will show what 90% of people have to go through to swap it. Like to me a good starting point would be how the fuck to bolt the motor down

Comment

If we play around with the idea then..
                    Im in no rush with ripping and cutting this car apart..

What kind a engine/gear setup would be easiest (if I can use that word) ?
                    We are still at doing burnouts.

I have a old V8, "Pontiac 400" or something lol. Havent looked at it for a while. But I know it runs.
                    I also have a free 4,3l from an old s10, blazer on my hands. (not sure about burnout potential on this one.)

And for the negativity, I could just get an old brick, volvo 240 bla bla bla
                    And drop an V8 in that.. But its done before around here.
                    -96 Chevrolet S10 (DD)
                    -85 Saab 900 (Project)
                    PhotoBlog
                    Spotted In Narvik

Comment

Originally posted by mrg7243 View Post
                      Just dont talk, have you done it? I bet not.
                      Remember that thing I said about panties getting bunched? Take a chill pill. Have I done it? No, but I've followed plenty of builds from beginning to end. And sure, if you want to put a supra into a celica, google has that. You can find tutorials for a specific engine/car set up. But there's no general "wall of text" as I said that applies to all swaps.

Originally posted by 74low145 View Post
                      If we play around with the idea then..
                      Im in no rush with ripping and cutting this car apart..

What kind a engine/gear setup would be easiest (if I can use that word) ?
                      We are still at doing burnouts.

I have a old V8, "Pontiac 400" or something lol. Havent looked at it for a while. But I know it runs.
                      I also have a free 4,3l from an old s10, blazer on my hands. (not sure about burnout potential on this one.)

And for the negativity, I could just get an old brick, volvo 240 bla bla bla
                      And drop an V8 in that.. But its done before around here.
                      Your best bet would to be something that HAS been done before. That way you know exactly what you're doing and uou know it will work. But as mentioned, there's a loooot of fab and electrical that goes into it. I could easily swap the AWD matrix into my celica. I'm good at the mechanical part of it. I can handle the straight forward welding and fabbing. But I suck ass at electrical. Sure I can wire small circuits such as cutouts, extra lights, exhaust flames, etc. but I could never mesh two whole cars together.

Edit: now what you could do, find a RWD car that has the same chassis as your Saab. If you can do that, it minimalizes the fabrication needed on the drivetrain portion. And from there, you could take the entire dash/drivetrain/wiring harnesses/etc. and swap it in. Will it be pretty? Probably not. But it would work. It's basically a body swap. Take all of the sprung weight from one car and swap it into the unsprung weight of the other. Make sense?
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-09-2013, 12:08 AM.

Comment

It can be done. Its a fairly common swap in the Focus community. Hell a company even made a kit to do the swap.

Some basics you need to do is fab a front subframe/engine mounts, measure the rear end to fit a rear axle, build a rear subframe to fit it, then you have lots of little fab projects in the middle. Then figure out the wiring.

I say go for it. How else do you learn? As long as you look at as a learning project and are ok with redoing some things.

2001 Focus Sedan from an ex-ricer. See my build thread
                        http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17122

Comment

The easiest way to make a fwd car rwd (just drive in reverse LOL) is to unbolt the entire engine cradel, cut the floor in the back and build a framework to hold the cradel back there. Then use control arms in place of the tie rods and steering rack and get a new subframe for the front.

If you want to make it front engine and rwd, not only do you need a whole new rear end, but you also have to spin the engine 90*, find a transmission that works or make one work and make a new floor to clear that transmission and the driveshaft.

Comment

A classic 900 also isnt the car to go low with, even as low as you get it the sides still don't look that low.

Also to add to the confusion if he kept the original engine he'd have to rotate 180* not 90 to make it front engine rear wheel drive.
                            Originally posted by JC.
                            'Stance' doesn't have to be scraping your car along the floor, that is simply the scene that has caught on. As long as your car looks amazing (in your eyes) while your rolling down the street, that is your own personal perfect stance.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Your options are do you want to keep the car front engine and RWD or do you want to just get that FWD motor out and dump it in the back, or do you want to get another more powerfull FWD motor and put it in the back.

These 3 options would ultimately decide the cost of the build.

By re-using the original motor you can greatly cut down on the cost of such an exercise
                              Drinking Enthusiast with a Car Problem

Comment

Working...
                              X