E39 strech setups (fitment?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E39 strech setups (fitment?)

I'm looking to buy a new wheel set and I've been offered a very aggressive setup of 10x20 et16 front and 11x20 et30 rear. The rear is clearly no issue since it runs 2mm inner than my current setup.

I'm currently running 8.5" (19") et17 with 10mm spacer and 235/35 tire (front). I've previously run 15mm spacer with 225/35 tire but when I changed it to 235 it was no go. Basically the 10x20" would be running 10mm more out than my current setup, 5mm outer than with the 15mm spacer.

Anyone here done work with E39 fenders, or do you think it's possible to run it without fender mods with 245/30/20 tire or something?
    The problem is that the diameter is still 15mm larger with 245/30/20 than it was with the 225/35/19.

I know I'm babbling on and on but it's a science as you all know...

Last edited by M.Burroughs; 07-03-2009, 01:35 PM.

I can likely get you the numbers you're looking for, but your post is hard to read haha. Let me re-write your post as an equation.

Here:

Current: 19x8.5 et7 w/ 235/35 (no issues)
    Previous: 19x8.5 et2 w/ 225/35 (no issues)
    Previous: 19x8.5 et2 w/ 235/35 (issues)

In Question: 20x10 et16 w/245/30

Desired: 20x10 et16 w/ ???/??

Knowing that the 15mm spacer w/ 225/35 worked, that's where we need to start- that's the most aggressive you've gone.
    Ignoring diameter, we know that the new setup will sit 5mm further out. Now, only you can decide if that is aesthetically pleasing. As for fitment, we'll assume 5mm won't break the bank, especially if you have camber plates, you can counter for that without much of a problem at all.

So the question becomes what tire size, and will the diameter work?
    Well, the diameter is something easily controlled by changing your ride height. Simply wind your coils up the small amount you need to make it sit right. The diameter is something I don't think should be of any concern- you're increasing wheel size, you should expect to know what its going to look like and how that extra inch will come in to play in relation to the desired tire size.

Obviously you're not going to go bigger in wheel diameter and keep the rolling diameter the same.
    SO- I think the diameter is something that is simply an aesthetic worry as far as the appearance of a larger wheel and having the car sit a little higher. Whether it will clear on the inside or not, I do not know. You should measure that.

So, tire size-
    245/30 sounds like the right way to go to me. It's what I would run. The stretch from that tire size should allow for similar clearances with the fenders- perhaps meaning the amount you need to raise the car is at its minimum possible.

Sorry I can't give you a straight up "yes" or "no" or "use this, it works" answer, because I've never played with an e39.

Good luck, and you should give me your current wheels out of generosity.
    Last edited by M.Burroughs; 07-03-2009, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Thanks Mike,

That was somewhat what I expected to hear.
      Sorry for the incomprehensible text These are simply things that can't be accurately calculated since even the same size tires vary in size. I guess I'm waiting someone to approve my plans so I have someone to blame

The fitment isn't that far off so it should be simple enought to make it fit...
      Nothing that a little fender bender couldn't cure. I think I'll hold on to those LM's still. I've always been a BBS guy.
      Last edited by Exorcist; 07-03-2009, 03:09 PM.

Comment

And if you do decide to part with them, SeanDub gets them cuz Mike has too many wheels.

Comment

Working...
        X