BBS RT: RS rare older brother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBS RT: RS rare older brother

doing a few sets this winter, and I thought I would get a jump on putting up a few for sale.

This is a set of bbs RT. they are the lesser known counterpart to the much more popular bbs RS. these both work off the same 34 bolt parts. I got my hands on a set by chance in germany, and knew very little about them.. but decided I thought they were interesting, so why not refurb a set.

pics as soon as they are back from the finishing work.

specs:
    bbs RT
    16" diameter. you have options for the following widths:
    16x8 et17
    16x8.5 et10.5
    16x9 et5
    redrill to 4x100. being welded shut, and redrilled like many of the rs sets you have seen me do

perfect set for an e30 trying to stray away from the more common setups. I can count on one hand how many times ive seen this type of set in the US. and this one is likely the only one that will end up being 4x100

the centers are going in for metallic silver powdercoat. the lips on the final set are up to the buyer. 2", 2.5", 3" brand new german stepped lips

chrome bolts new
    black inner barrels
    new bbs logos(sorry the bmw ones arent for sale unless someone really wants them)

the price is 3000 shipped to the lower 48. a steal for a basically one off set in 4x100 fitment

these things are really sick in real life. cant wait to see them on someones project.
    more pics will come soon once i assemble them. likely in about 2-3 weeks time.

studio.delucav@gmail.com

please only people who are actually interested in a set, please no window shoppers. I have a huge following of people who are interested in the work and details, but cant afford the 2500+ price tags for something of this level. thats what taking a peek at the blog is for... spinFAB.net
    Last edited by 1badg35; 12-17-2012, 03:01 PM.
    sigpic
    1990 Nissan fairlady Z32 - long term build
    1982 euro porsche 930 turbo

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19185

any takers? The faces are going to powder on saturday, and at this point its either going to be a silver metallic scheme with chrome bolts, or a white scheme with gold hexes and gold bolts. Im open to just about anything though, so whoever wants these should jump on it..

i would love to see a metallic copper center, or maybe a matte brown face with gold plated bolts? Or even a brushed face with a tinted clear powder over it.. hmmm
    sigpic

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

Comment

holy crap. do want, but the wheel fund wont be up until mid winter/spring glws these look amazing
      I’ve had too many cars to list and most of them sucked.

Comment

Thank you. these likely wont be around too much longer, but they will be complete in few weeks, and the proper photoshoot will be coming soon thereafter..
        Last edited by 1badg35; 12-18-2012, 08:57 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

heres how my typical redrill work looks when complete. dont mind that this is an RS

We weld the centers shut, redrill to 4x100 then mill the front so as to remove the high spots from the welding. I try to leave a few of the original bbs markings for obvious reasons, but also like to get rid of the weld build up so it looks perfect. then we machine custom hub rings, and weld them to the back pad of the wheel. for added strength and also so it looks like it came like this from the factory. Couldnt be a better redrill out there. Faces are then media blasted and powdercoated (2 stage in this case). It just came back a few seconds ago, so its not bolted up or assembled in any way. Just put together for a quick mock up

redrill +weld +machining

as i said, the work is quite nice when complete. in this set, we also milled a small amount of the backpad edge down for brake clearance
          Last edited by 1badg35; 12-18-2012, 09:33 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

here are some pictures of the actual set before we started working on them.. they will be metallic silver powdercoated centers in a few days or metallic gunmetal depending on my mood when I go to give the ok. as of today, I am leaning gunmetal metallic 2 stage powder. (shown on the adjacent RS)

so its a super rare 5x120 set of RT, then converted to 4x100 with the full redrill and fill works, and your choice of sizing.. this is likely a one of one set when complete

you also have a choice of hex or conical caps on this. i will take pictures of both fitted when they are all back together. shown is a full height hex mirror polished. I plan on trying out a few mock ups with different colors/ finishes on things like the bolts and caps, just for sake of getting the perfect combination.

please dont mind the filthy faces. They went in before the welding for a nice media blast, and some fresh powder will come soon

brother and sister from the same era

Last edited by 1badg35; 12-18-2012, 09:26 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

All of that work that you claim is, "second to none", but you dont mask off the backpad of the wheel, threads, or lug seats before powdercoat? Also you couldnt take 5 seconds to clean up the nasty burrs on the lug hole??

Last edited by wht94lytng; 12-18-2012, 08:22 PM.
              Instagram: instagram.com/dominant_engineering

http://www.dominanteng.bigcartel.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46382132@N00/

Comment

personal preference is to not mask off the lug holes. the tape edge when powdercoating never looks perfect when the tape is removed. We thin out the powder on the inside of the wheel so as to not mess with the threading of things like the caps, but keep it all one continuous color, again personal preference based on numerous trials on previous sets.
                If someone still wanted me to specifically mask off something, I would do just that. I work the details as I feel they are best fit, but if someone wants different specifics with regard to details, i encourage that

yeah, I missed a burr, it happens. the first time you put a lug bolt on there, the burr will be gone, otherwise I would have brought it back down to metal. My powdercoater didnt feel the need to repowder because of this. I agree with his decision.

Oh and the redrill pics are just temp pics until i can show you the work to the exact RT set, just to show if someone asks what the redrill looks like. I would rather show you the work we do to a past RS set, then not show the work at all.

Big things to notice.. I dont chop into the center threaded area like some do. Also, 1/2" deep aluminum hub rings are machined and welded to the backpad of the wheel during the welding process. no plastic hub bore adapters which makes me very happy.
                Last edited by 1badg35; 12-18-2012, 09:27 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

christmas bump. Pictures of this set to come shortly. Got the ok to start a few other crazy projects at the same time as this, so im going to try to post up pictures all at once when they are complete
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1badg35 View Post
                    personal preference is to not mask off the lug holes. the tape edge when powdercoating never looks perfect when the tape is removed. We thin out the powder on the inside of the wheel so as to not mess with the threading of things like the caps, but keep it all one continuous color, again personal preference based on numerous trials on previous sets.
                    If someone still wanted me to specifically mask off something, I would do just that. I work the details as I feel they are best fit, but if someone wants different specifics with regard to details, i encourage that

yeah, I missed a burr, it happens. the first time you put a lug bolt on there, the burr will be gone, otherwise I would have brought it back down to metal. My powdercoater didnt feel the need to repowder because of this. I agree with his decision.

Oh and the redrill pics are just temp pics until i can show you the work to the exact RT set, just to show if someone asks what the redrill looks like. I would rather show you the work we do to a past RS set, then not show the work at all.

Big things to notice.. I dont chop into the center threaded area like some do. Also, 1/2" deep aluminum hub rings are machined and welded to the backpad of the wheel during the welding process. no plastic hub bore adapters which makes me very happy.
                    I chop into the center on mine, I do this so the stock lug bolts can be used in an effort to try to keep the cost's down on buying extra hardware. I dont do the hub rings like yours, I think its easy enough to buy metal rings, and the least amount of welding on the face, the better, my faces will get hotter when I polish or powder coat them, than they do when there getting plugged. As long as the rings are aluminum, your good, they dont need to be welded in, the hub does need to be clean of powder coat, which is the case on my wheels, as I mask all of that stuff off. I like the back pads to be clean too.

This is my personal preference, I also do it to keep my costs down on this type of machine work, my guy wants $100 for the rings welded in
                    Which is fine, I wanted it done at first, but I think I prefer it without the extra welding.

But its really tough to argue with any of this machine work that you do, its damn nice work man!

Im picking up my latest set tonight from my pc's, Ill post some pics. I do a few things differently than you, but its gonna be hard to top your work, Vince.
                    EHRLICH WHEELWORKS
                    ewheelworks.com
                    facebook - Ehrlich WheelsWorks
                    IG - ewheelworks
                    Custom Powder coating, custom wheels, and custom metal finishing.

Comment

Thanks Paul. Yeah we both do some ridiculous work on these sets, and it definitely is all worth it when we see these things all mounted on the various rides scattered around the world.

I have to say, I follow all of your threads too as i think we are both obsessed with these wheels, and the ridiculous details that we can get into on a build.. Definitely love seeing the more rare sets coming out of your office like the 17" and 18" sets. Ive been swamped with 16" work. ha

I agree about the cost for some of the things like the welded in hub rings (and it is not cheap), but at this point I decided that I would take a small hit on profit to make sure that the customer doesnt decide to run wheels without hub rings. I have now seen this 3 times, and i dont want to hear it. So as a result, they are integrated into the wheel when the work is done, and ill incur the loss of profit if need be.. People do some shady things, and I try to make it fool proof to a certain extent. haha.

For me this has always been a side hobby turned side gig, but its all about the quality, and this is the reason why it seems the two of us have been getting the much needed recognition.

RT set will be done in about a week. Had a snag this week with workload and designs about to come out, but its up to powder, so it should be back soon.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1badg35 View Post
                        Thanks Paul. Yeah we both do some ridiculous work on these sets, and it definitely is all worth it when we see these things all mounted on the various rides scattered around the world.

I have to say, I follow all of your threads too as i think we are both obsessed with these wheels, and the ridiculous details that we can get into on a build.. Definitely love seeing the more rare sets coming out of your office like the 17" and 18" sets. Ive been swamped with 16" work. ha

I agree about the cost for some of the things like the welded in hub rings (and it is not cheap), but at this point I decided that I would take a small hit on profit to make sure that the customer doesnt decide to run wheels without hub rings. I have now seen this 3 times, and i dont want to hear it. So as a result, they are integrated into the wheel when the work is done, and ill incur the loss of profit if need be.. People do some shady things, and I try to make it fool proof to a certain extent. haha.

For me this has always been a side hobby turned side gig, but its all about the quality, and this is the reason why it seems the two of us have been getting the much needed recognition.

RT set will be done in about a week. Had a snag this week with workload and designs about to come out, but its up to powder, so it should be back soon.
                        Thanks dude!

Now GTFO!

EHRLICH WHEELWORKS
                        ewheelworks.com
                        facebook - Ehrlich WheelsWorks
                        IG - ewheelworks
                        Custom Powder coating, custom wheels, and custom metal finishing.

Comment

Long shot, but you do beautiful work
                          I was wondering do you have any extra 30bolt lips for sale?
                          Follow me on Instagram @ Promk1ng
                          http://instagram.com/promk1ng

Comment

no only 34 bolt parts are left..

i do have lots of 16" 34 bolt lips i wont use for sale though. all have been stripped and mirror polished

330 shipped for a pair of rare 2" slants
                            250 shipped for a pair of 1.5" slants
                            220 shipped for a pair of 1.0" drop lips
                            sigpic

Comment

from a while ago, but process work to show the quality of the work. faces are fully blasted, and then obviously the welding work commences

then its milled true and flat on both sides and the hub bore insert is milled to have that chamfered edge so it fits like stock

3k for the set complete. it is going to be gloss metallic silver with triple chromed bolts. a timeless look.

Other option is gloss black half height powdercoated hexes with black/gold logos and black bolts to match the black hexes. im going to likely be doing both as tests to see which looks best
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X