Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scrape skid

2nd post..

Found the website on build threads and have been lurking ever since, had to register to subscribe to some epic threads

Anyway..

I have a 2010 camaro on 22s, the rails are at 2.5" from the ground and the headers are even lower. I scrape everywhere including the drive to the garage and I don't care about it I just don't like to obliterate the underside of the car.

I have been planning a carbon fiber "scrape plate" that would take the abuse, yet so I have seen some videos where cars too low tend to loose traction at speed when they start scraping.

Anyone had this problem?

i would start by raising stuff, the engine to get the exhaust higher.
    secondly i would never ever do a carbon plate, make it out of steal so it can take some abuse.
    -Instagram@jdjurhuus
    Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

Carbon fiber skidplate = useless. Carbon is meant to be a lighter alternative to metals, and on 22" wheels I don't think weight reduction is of high priority. Just make a steel one and call it a day. I don't see how you scrape though, I'm at about an inch ride height and I only scrape on hard HARD dips and speed bumps. A car would have to be almost undriveably low and on super soft suspension to scrape enough to lose traction.

And if you decide to raise the engine like the above post suggests, be careful. I'm not sure how Camaros are in this aspect and if you put the driveshaft at too harsh of an angle, shit goes horribly wrong.
      Last edited by nickskater09; 11-12-2012, 09:17 PM.

1983 528e, 230,xxx miles, Alpine weiss. M20B25 swapped
      my tumblr.
      What the f**k is a build thread?

Comment

Originally posted by nickskater09 View Post
        Carbon fiber skidplate = useless. Carbon is meant to be a lighter alternative to metals, and on 22" wheels I don't think weight reduction is of high priority. Just make a steel one and call it a day. I don't see how you scrape though, I'm at about an inch ride height and I only scrape on hard HARD dips and speed bumps. A car would have to be almost undriveably low and on super soft suspension to scrape enough to lose traction.

And if you decide to raise the engine like the above post suggests, be careful. I'm not sure how Camaros are in this aspect and if you put the driveshaft at too harsh of an angle, shit goes horribly wrong.
        Well put.

W I L D M A N 'S R O D S H O P

R.I.P P.WALKER 2013/11/30

Comment

Well The idea of carbon is just to be a layer between asphalt and the undercarriage, so it takes the scratches instead. As the vital parts of the engine and suspension are high above the rails I'm not concerned to "protect" just to "antiscratch".

It is for lightweight purposes, as I race a lot, I just roll on 22s and change rims/tires accordingly to the occasion.

I scrape on the driveway (slope) and on obvious speed bumps.

No plan to raise the engine as the exhaust will be changed on new engine setup but I would rather raise the car than the engine.

It would have to be a somewhat thick layer of carbon/fiberglass that can be easily removable. I will give it a good thought when the time comes, I just wanted to know for sure if anyone had any case of scrapping control loss.

I have been looking for that exact video that made me think about it but just can't find it now obviously.

This was a ram rolling on a show on some nice asphalt and as soon as he dropped it to the floor the thing just scraped and started spinning to the crowd.

Comment

To be honest unless you don't want to scrape it up to sell it someday, it's not going to do too much damage. My exhaust gets banged around to no end and it takes the beating like a champ.

But if you want, go for the carbon fiber. I'm not sure as to it's integrity of taking scrapes compared to a steel plate though.

To answer the "losing traction" deal, I've never heard of it. Sounds like a case of a bagged truck with wayy short suspension airing all the way out a high speed. If you have the right suspension setup, you shouldn't even have any issues with bottoming out on hard driving.

my tumblr.

Comment

Well I guess we will find out.

Thanks man

Comment

Like this? Go to about 0:40.
                It's like rock-crawling... in the streets...

Comment

ouch.

I'm not sure if that's from his undercarriage dragging though, looks more like he was getting on the throttle and hit a huge bump, bottomed out and then lost it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid Kid View Post
                    ouch.

I'm not sure if that's from his undercarriage dragging though, looks more like he was getting on the throttle and hit a huge bump, bottomed out and then lost it.
                    Well that is exactly what I was talking about (thanks dan?), maybe I could not explain it that way..

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid Kid View Post
                      ouch.

ya, plus no sparks or scraping noise..
                      1999 SL2 Saturn Build rip
                      1998 EK hatch Civic Build

Comment

To be honest unless you don't want to scrape it up to sell it someday, it's not going to do too much damage. My exhaust gets banged around to no end and it takes the beating like a champ.
                        only for a while. did you see what happened to Rusty's exhaust on the cross-country tour? that was after ~2k miles...
                        2011 Outback 2.5i 6MT #subarubaru - daily/off-pavement adventure vehicle
                        2001 BMW 325i Wagon 6MT #daswagoon - wife's #becauseracewagon
                        1996 Suburban 2500 TD #superbbourbon - tow bitch/people hauler

Comment

Originally posted by frink84 View Post
                          only for a while. did you see what happened to Rusty's exhaust on the cross-country tour? that was after ~2k miles...
                          Because Rusty was so stupid low. If you're in a Camaro on 22s then you can't be that low. Also the way E28's are set up puts the exhaust lower than anything else most of the time. Rusty is a pretty extreme circumstance.

my tumblr.

Comment

Man that video is crazy, karma for driving like a wank. I never really understood "scrape plates". Just puts something that much lower to the ground. Take it to an exhaust shop and see if they can section and raise your headers/exhaust. My setup puts my exhaust an inch from the ground and my headers are even lower (.5in). There isnt really any damage that affects anything, it is just ground flatter from scraping along with my control arms.

insta:yungwymo

Comment

Working...
                            X