Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDM coilovers wont sit level

Maybe you guys could help me figure out how to fix this:

I've got DDM adjustable coilovers, but they wont sit level. The top of the driver's side wheel well is 615mm off the ground, while the passenger side is about 603mm.

The obvious answer is to raise the passenger side to match the driver, but I want to get as low as I can. There's still room to go lower on the passenger side, but the left side won't screw in any further.

I put these in myself, but I am in no way a mechanic. Maybe someone who knows these coilovers could help me out?

TIA, George
    -George
    flickr

BMWs are designed with the driver's side shock mount slightly higher, so that when you get in to the car it sits level, for proper geometry.
    As far as I know at least.

Comment

Originally posted by M.Burroughs View Post
      BMWs are designed with the driver's side shock mount slightly higher, so that when you get in to the car it sits level, for proper geometry.
      Haha really? Well fuck if that's the case I feel like an idiot
      -George
      flickr

Comment

Don't. I'd want the car sitting level without me in it if its just for appearance. It's likely your springs are stiff enough to compensate for this, and it'l still be level with you in it, for the most part.

Get some shorter springs.

Comment

Don't. I'd want the car sitting level without me in it if its just for appearance. It's likely your springs are stiff enough to compensate for this, and it'l still be level with you in it, for the most part.

Get some shorter springs.
          That's the main thing though, the driver's side is significantly higher. I put a bunch of preload on the spring then screwed the shock as far down as it would go. So now there's ~10mm between the locking ring for the height and the locking ring for the spring.

So the driver's side is as far down as I can get it right now, while the passenger side still has tons of room for adjustment.
          -George
          flickr

Comment

Get smaller springs

Comment

Mine sit just barely higher on the left side, no DDM for me though.

Comment

My driver side sits higher than my passenger side is well. I fortunately still have room for adjustment, but I'm too lazy to do it.

Comment

I second this as my stock springs/struts are this way.

Yes..I said stock Coilovers are comming soon...I promise!
                  Until I get a better pic...

Comment

I have Ground Control/Konis and I have the same issue. The drivers side is slightly higher. I just matched the lowest setting on the drivers side and evened out the passanger side.

Comment

I have my driver's side set ~10mm lower than the passenger's side. Probably not the best for tire wear but I never keep wheels around long enough to go through a set of tires anyways.

Comment

That is cool, I never knew that. I wonder what other makes do that.

Comment

my Passat does the same thing. In fact, i have yet to come across a car that doesn't.

ig: @jonnie86

Comment

Are your coils AND struts even? I know the DDM adjust from the bottom of the shock as well
                            1995 M3 C38 S/C
                            [B]2001 Audi A4 2871r/B]

Comment

How are you adjusting the ride height?

Comment

Working...
                              X