This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiberglass gel coats

I run a bit of a small detailing business in the summer and I typically work on people's cars. However, one of my regular customers owns a boat and would like me to detail it. It has a very light oxidation on the paint. The boat is a 2005 so it's not in terrible shape. What product would you guys use on a gel coat? I'd like to get rid of the oxidation and then use some sealant to protect.

Hopefully you guys can guide me.

Nick

Hi Nick

I have a bit of experience with Gel coats but not vast amounts, as its pretty rare on cars. Anyway the ones iv done tended to be really hard in comparison to the paint you find on a car, also (when using a machine to polish) they built up heat much faster, this could be to do with both the gel coat and the composite body not dispersing heat like metal panels.

We used specifit polishes designed for Gel coat by a UK compound maker, but im sure one of the "big" US brands make a marine range with a polish in it. Might be worth looking in to

Comment

We used specifit polishes designed for Gel coat by a UK compound maker, but im sure one of the "big" US brands make a marine range with a polish in it. Might be worth looking in to
      We offer best quality HP2-K38 practice test latest resource ASQ exam and high quality wikipedia Also get free demos of Stanford University certification and 220-702 practice questions Miami International University of Art & Design

Comment

We do a lot of boats in th summer months. Check out "Ardex". They offer a 1000 grit and a 600 grit compound.

The 600 grit seem to have a lot of silicon in it, and can be difficult too work with. Based off of what you said, the 1000 would work just fine. You can be much more harsh with gel coats. We run our high speed buffers on 2-3k rpms.

As far as wax goes, I would recommend "Trewax" it comes in a can and you apply it by hand!

Instagram - @choadyhighroller
        Originally posted by nickskater09
        I think Jody, along with Ashton, like to push the line between "street legal" and "realistically driveable".

Comment

Working...
        X