Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My RS rebuild.

Looks like I actually will be fully refinishing them

I think I had the easiest time taking these apart that I've heard of. I didn't have to heat the wheels or anything, just cut the sealant that was on there and pulled them apart with my hands, the faces and lips separated on their own. From there I went ahead and fully cleaned the barrels and lips with some steel wool and just gave the faces a quick was with some quick detailer. Looking into powdercoating services for the face and I'm thinking about a cream color for right now. Look for updates here, and if anyone has any tips feel free to chime in!

When I first got one of the wheels apart.

All of the wheels apart, waiting to get cleaned.

Some shots of the wheels and the residue that was left from all of the salt on the Cincinnati roads. Some of the stains on the lips are also from when I first got them.

Left one is after some steel wool and some polish, still need to go through and sand them to get them to really shine though.

This was the coolest part to me though, the bolt on the left was one that I had just taken off of one of the wheels, and the one on the right is after soaking in diet coke for only about six hours. Absolutely amazing how much of a difference it made.

Are you just refinishing them as is with the parts or are you getting new halves/lips, etc?
    Originally posted by Jesus Christ
    if "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" doesnt include being able to buy a huge veiny motherfucker then the declaration of independence isnt worth the hemp it was written on.
    Originally posted by Jedidiah
    he speaks the truth.. he doesn't even have the -- -- eyes.

Comment

Probably going to switch it up to 1.5" lips out back instead of the current .5" lips I have now, all depends on the currency situation when it's time to order them.

Comment

what car is this going on?

ig: @jonnie86

Comment

Comment

nice!
            cant wait to see how they turn out
            -Matt

Comment

nice build
              -Jorge-

Comment

Makes ya think twice about drinkin Coke, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by SeanDub View Post
                  Makes ya think twice about drinkin Coke, eh?
                  Yeah, fuck that...

Pepsi FTW!!

Comment

you guys drink your coke? damn...

www.effineuro.com

Comment

wow i never thought that diet coke would do that. ill have to give that a try sometime. nice sig btw
                      Insta | Dev

Comment

So you used Diet Coke... Is there a difference between regular coke? I always just bought new bolts. Im gonna try the coke thing. Ive got gold plated bolts, would that be bad to do that to them?
                        sigpic

Comment

I think most people use regular coke, but diet coke is generally the same thing, just instead of using sugar as the abrasive you're using fake sugar. And the carbonation obviously helps as well.

Comment

nice! keep us updated, im in the saaaaaame boat as you, i have all the paint stripped off of the centers and everything completely apart. i plan on going silver faces, polished lips and center "nut", gold bolts and red/gold BBS logo. they're 16x7 et24 16x8 et24, ill probably need 5mm spacers to be perfectly flush on my AW11 MR2. here's where i'm at now (bolts just thrown in there)

1988 Toyota MR2 Supercharged
                            Stance:Nation Feature | Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by kramerbuccs24 View Post
                              nice! keep us updated, im in the saaaaaame boat as you, i have all the paint stripped off of the centers and everything completely apart. i plan on going silver faces, polished lips and center "nut", gold bolts and red/gold BBS logo. they're 16x7 et24 16x8 et24, ill probably need 5mm spacers to be perfectly flush on my AW11 MR2. here's where i'm at now (bolts just thrown in there)

How did you strip the paint off of your faces?

Comment

Working...
                              X