Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a new toy.

Originally posted by Jesus Christ
    if "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" doesnt include being able to buy a huge veiny motherfucker then the declaration of independence isnt worth the hemp it was written on.
    Originally posted by Jedidiah
    he speaks the truth.. he doesn't even have the -- -- eyes.

I'm trying to decide between Bees and more speedlights myself, but I'd love to have a few Bees for studio type work when I know I'm not going to be as mobile (say 5% of my work).
    I like to modify things.
    flickr
    Inyo Photo
    -Chad

Comment

nice was just looking at their site the other day...
      get some pics up of you using them lol

Comment

what is the main difference between the speedlights and alien bees?.. the size and the amount of light it throws I assume, correct?

btw what kinda of stand are u using with this?

Comment

Originally posted by implayaz9 View Post
          what is the main difference between the speedlights and alien bees?.. the size and the amount of light it throws I assume, correct?

btw what kinda of stand are u using with this?
          I'm not sure on the exact technical specs as in how much light it produces, but I'm pretty sure these have much more output than say a SB-800/900. I know they have a TON (probably 2-3 times more light) at full power compared to my SB-600.

I'm using the 13ft stand that Alien Bees sell on their site.

Originally posted by vbrad26 View Post
          nice was just looking at their site the other day...
          get some pics up of you using them lol
          Haha, I will.

Originally posted by hover View Post
          I'm trying to decide between Bees and more speedlights myself, but I'd love to have a few Bees for studio type work when I know I'm not going to be as mobile (say 5% of my work).
          They're still mobile. They're really not that big/bulky. You're just going to have to be more careful with the Bees.
          if "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" doesnt include being able to buy a huge veiny motherfucker then the declaration of independence isnt worth the hemp it was written on.

Comment

did u buy one of the packages or just pieced it out?

Comment

Originally posted by implayaz9 View Post
              did u buy one of the packages or just pieced it out?
              I pieced it out.

Comment

they're nice, and the 800's are WAY brighter than a 580exII. i dont own any, but i've had quite a bit of experience using them. a friend has 3 B800's and a vagabond II.

another friend just picked up 2 B800's and a B1600, so in the spring time we hope to do quite a bit of car shoots. we usually shoot cars in a group of 4-5 for some reason. there is never any shortage of lights, and there are always extra pocketwizards lying around incase anyone else wants to stop by and have a go at off camera lighting. lol. it gets kind of redic.

for example, this was just a day we were messing around.

pretty redic, but thats about half of the lights our little group has.

anyhow, B800's are the shit, and i wish i had some of my own. i'd definitely shoot more often. with my 430ex and 285, i never have batteries charged. lol. but you will love that thing, i guarantee it. nice purchase.

Canon, Fuji, Mamiya, Minolta + Pentax.

Comment

yeah i love my bees. i have a pair of 800s and a 400 and a 1600 i just recently got.
                  deff one of hte best investments i ever made
                  Disclaimer:
                  I am rude, opinionated, and sometimes come off as a dick. I am just speaking my mind. If it offends you, PM me. Don't go whine to someone else. I am civil, talk to me, just dont be stupid.

and USE THE SEARCH BUTTON

Comment

Originally posted by FreshLikeSushi View Post
                    yeah i love my bees. i have a pair of 800s and a 400 and a 1600 i just recently got.
                    deff one of hte best investments i ever made
                    Yeah, my friend has 2 B800's that I fell in love with so I had to get my own.

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                    they're nice, and the 800's are WAY brighter than a 580exII. i dont own any, but i've had quite a bit of experience using them. a friend has 3 B800's and a vagabond II.

another friend just picked up 2 B800's and a B1600, so in the spring time we hope to do quite a bit of car shoots. we usually shoot cars in a group of 4-5 for some reason. there is never any shortage of lights, and there are always extra pocketwizards lying around incase anyone else wants to stop by and have a go at off camera lighting. lol. it gets kind of redic.

for example, this was just a day we were messing around.

pretty redic, but thats about half of the lights our little group has.

anyhow, B800's are the shit, and i wish i had some of my own. i'd definitely shoot more often. with my 430ex and 285, i never have batteries charged. lol. but you will love that thing, i guarantee it. nice purchase.
                    Yeesh. haha. That's kind of like all the FL guys getting together at H2O and doing shoots for people. I think they had 6-8 B800's at one point.

I have my SB-600 as another slave and it's no where near as bright. When I was messing with it last night, the B800 was at 1/32 power and it was still overpowering the SB-600 at 1/1.

Comment

Originally posted by extol1337 View Post
                      Yeah, my friend has 2 B800's that I fell in love with so I had to get my own.

Yeesh. haha. That's kind of like all the FL guys getting together at H2O and doing shoots for people. I think they had 6-8 B800's at one point.

I have my SB-600 as another slave and it's no where near as bright. When I was messing with it last night, the B800 was at 1/32 power and it was still overpowering the SB-600 at 1/1.
                      Damn! Nice pick up.

How much did a whole setup cost? Is it really possible to shoot cars with just one?

Comment

Originally posted by 87e30 View Post
                        Damn! Nice pick up.

How much did a whole setup cost? Is it really possible to shoot cars with just one?
                        It was $550 with the 10% student discount shipped for 1x Alien Bee B800, 1x 13ft stand, 2x Cybersync Receivers, 1x Cybersync Transmitter/Trigger, and 1x Hotshoe to PC adapter.

It'd be pretty hard to just shoot a car with one, but I have a SB-600 that I can use off-camera so that acts as another strobe. My main focus wasn't to shoot cars, but to get into portraits and whatnot.

Comment

Originally posted by extol1337 View Post
                          It was $550 with the 10% student discount shipped for 1x Alien Bee B800, 1x 13ft stand, 2x Cybersync Receivers, 1x Cybersync Transmitter/Trigger, and 1x Hotshoe to PC adapter.

It'd be pretty hard to just shoot a car with one, but I have a SB-600 that I can use off-camera so that acts as another strobe. My main focus wasn't to shoot cars, but to get into portraits and whatnot.
                          Damn, that's expensive, but not as bad as I thought. Pretty cool! You can always move the strobe around frame and layer overlay... I'll probably end up trying that with an sb600 someday. Sounds like it should be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by 87e30 View Post
                            Damn, that's expensive, but not as bad as I thought. Pretty cool! You can always move the strobe around frame and layer overlay... I'll probably end up trying that with an sb600 someday. Sounds like it should be fun.
                            Yeah, lighting isn't cheap and I still have to buy some light modifiers eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                              they're nice...
                              pretty redic, but thats about half of the lights our little group has. ...nice purchase.
                              Can I see the finished shots from these shoots? I'm just kind of intrigued by the way the lighting is all setup, and whatnot. Love to see the outcome.
                              I like to modify things.
                              flickr
                              Inyo Photo
                              -Chad

Comment

Working...
                              X