Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From Germany to the West Coast – any meets in July?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Germany to the West Coast – any meets in July?

Hi,
    coming from Germany I’ll be at the West of the US for the first time in my life from 6th – 21th July. I’m doing a round trip through California, Arizona, Utah and Nevada with my girlfriend. Although we have a pretty tight schedule I still hope get some impressions of the famous car scene in.
    Are there any meetings in the area while we are there?
    I have listed the dates and a plan of our tour below. The route shows only what Google gave me after I entered all Hotels. We have a car with unlimited miles so we are a bit flexible. For example I definitely want to go to San Diego although it is not on the list.

Dates

06.07. – 08.07. Los Angeles
    08.07. – 09.07. Palm Springs
    09.07. – 10.07. Williams
    10.07. – 11.07. Panguitch
    11.07. – 12.07. St. George
    12.07. – 14.07. Las Vegas
    14.07. – 15.07. Mammoth Lakes
    15.07. – 16.07. Sonora
    16.07. – 18.07. San Francisco
    18.07. – 19.07 San Simeon
    19.07. – 20.07. Redondo Beach

Route

The drive from San Simeon to Redondo is quite a haul.

The good thing is once you're on the 101 in San Luis Obispo its highway until you get there.

Might I also suggest a possible alteration to the route? When heading from Palm Springs to Williams, leave early (like dawn early) and drive to Phoenix for lunch. When you head north on highway 17 drive through Sedona and backtrack to Williams. (Get gas on the 17 before you get to the 40 as its much more expensive, especially in Williams).

I'm assuming since you've chosen to go up through St. George you are planning on going to Zion. If you're not, do it.

On the leg from SF to San Simeon, do the same as from Palm Springs to Williams and leave early! You'll want to spend time in Monterey/Carmel as well as in Big Sur.

.... So that didn't help much on the car end of things but having lived and traveled these areas my whole life I'd say its going to be a great trip.

Comment

Just south of Montery CA there is a loop off Carmel Valley Rd (G16 I think). that will add a bit (50-60 miles) but it's less traveled than Hwy 1 and there are some GOOOOOOOD twisty bits for getting a bit side tracked. It's really easy to find on google maps.

If you are going through Yosimety you NEED to go to glacier point, also a good drive AWESOME VEIWS.

Laguna Seca raceway is in Salinas CA and it's public park land so you can go walk around the track if there isn't a race going on FOR FREE.

Central Coast Brewing in St. Luis Obispo has about the best beer in CA, totally worth it.

You MUST try In'n'Out burger "animal style" with "animal style" fries, you'll thank me later.

Drive carefully NV/CA drivers tailgate, don't pay attention, cut people off intentionally, and generally are dicks. But it should be a GREAT trip.

P.S. Trust me drive through Nevada at NIGHT IF YOU CAN. Temps in Death Valley can get to 130 Deg F at mid day.
      Last edited by furryrabbit84; 06-20-2012, 02:59 PM.
      I eated the purple berries, they taste like burning.

Comment

Central Coast Brewing is definitely a great stop.

Make sure to walk a across the street to Splash Cafe and get a clam chowder and sourdough bread bowl.

Comment

Working...
        X