What are these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are these?

So these are currently for sale on craigslist. The list says they are strut airbags. Obviously there are no bags but there is obviously air fittings. Just curious what exactly they are and how well they work... Thanks.

98' BMW 323is - Daily
    62' Chevy Corvair - Project older balls
    sigpic

How much do they want for them?
    Originally posted by JC.
    'Stance' doesn't have to be scraping your car along the floor, that is simply the scene that has caught on. As long as your car looks amazing (in your eyes) while your rolling down the street, that is your own personal perfect stance.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

They are air cylinders. I'd advise against it. It requires higher pressure to get the car up compared to air bags and they need to be rebuilt because the internal seals wear. Also, because they do not expand like air bags, you need an air accumulator for each corner to assit in damping the ride because the cylinder is at a fixed volume.
      Last edited by NegativeCamber; 05-16-2012, 11:46 PM.
      Originally posted by Kielan
      I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

Ok I see. That's kind of what I figured. So would they be more useful if they were used as a "helper" setup? As in with low pressure the full weight of the car would be sitting on the springs at a low height but when pressure was applied they could help lift the car a couple inches? I'm just curious because they are cheap and would fit my car's suspension set up very well if they could be used in place of the shocks as a helper.
        98' BMW 323is - Daily
        62' Chevy Corvair - Project older balls
        sigpic

Comment

i've seen those things before...on shitty carnival rides.

build thread?

Comment

They were mostly used on show cars before airstruts were available and practical.

Comment

Working...
            X