Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeve Bags or Bellows Need Input.

So,
    As many of you already know I am in the process of putting air ride on my 74 Opel Manta. I recently got my rear bags fitted only to find out that the car does not go low enough... The bags are bottomed out at 2.8" and the car is a little lower than stock. Part of the problem is that Opel rear axles have very deep spring cups on the rear axle. The bags I have are 7.5" diameter so obviously I had to make bag brackets that allowed the bag to sit above the spring cup. This is the root of my low problem. What I want to know is could I not just use sleeve bags so that they would actually sit down in the existing spring cup? I looked into using the Air House bags but they still won't fit in the spring cups.

Here is a Manta rear axle.

As an added note the top of the spring in the rear mates over a male protrusion that is about 1" long. I figure to trim some height I can trim this down and cut my upper bag brackets shorter.

Anyway any help is much appreciated.

-Aron
    "Living life a quarter turn at a time"

The problem I am finding with most sleeve bags is that they list the max height and not the compressed height. I am thinking I could use these http://www.ebay.com/itm/1S4-067-Mack...#ht_1231wt_969 Since they have a small outer diameter.

-Aron

Comment

Ok here I finally found the specs on that bag I posted I assume it is saying that it is 7.1 inches extended and 2.2 inches compressed.

-Aron

Comment

Could you not re-locate the existing spring cups higher on the axle (or lower the axle - whichever) or even fab new ones?
        Otherwise the bag you just posted looks like it should solve some of your problem. You still might not get as low as you want to.

Comment

I don't really think relocating the spring perch is an option, at least for me. It would take quite a bit of fabrication. I am trying to not modify the car if at all possible. I think I might just go with the bags that I posted. They should get me plenty low since the compress to shorter than the height of my spring cups.

-Aron

Comment

Originally posted by OpelWagenGT View Post
            I don't really think relocating the spring perch is an option, at least for me. It would take quite a bit of fabrication. I am trying to not modify the car if at all possible. I think I might just go with the bags that I posted. They should get me plenty low since the compress to shorter than the height of my spring cups.

-Aron
            I think if possible you need to pick up an extra rear axle and have new mounts made for the bags so that you don't have to get around the deep factory spring cups. Then you would have a factory rear axle that you could swap back in if you ever wanted to go back to stock.
            Ryan

Comment

What are the dimensions of the cup? i have spare set of re-5's id throw at you if they fit. Re-5's are 5" in diameter and dont expand so check if they'll fit.

Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

They should get me plenty low since the compress to shorter than the height of my spring cups.

Comment

Working...
                X