Help with e36 build!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with e36 build!!!!!!

Im driving a 93 318is e36 and am new to the forum, planning on swapping the m40 for the more sought after s52. (cant stand going slow in a BMW). Been checking out BMRParts.com; they rebuild top quality bmw motors, along with ports and polishes. For what your getting they arent asking for a bad price either.

So aside from motor, brakes, and differentials; what else do i need to look into. I plan to find a 325i that I can rob the brakes off of, should I swap the transmission as well, or is it a direct bolt on?

318 before swap by RollenREMADIEZ, on Flickr

Hey m8. Are we talking about d euro s52? U have to change the transmission into an m3 ZF transmission, propeller shaft and some reinforcements in the tranny mounts. They're welded. Sorry about my english

Comment

any e36 trans bolt to any e36 motor. however the zf was designed for use with m3 motors. some people say the getrag can handle an s52. the getrag is also shorter and lighter. soo getrag need the getrag drive shaft. ZF needs the ZF driveshaft. also keep in mind the bolt patterns for you diff. they came in four or six bolt. you will need an appropriate drive shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by rochey6957 View Post
        any e36 trans bolt to any e36 motor. however the zf was designed for use with m3 motors. some people say the getrag can handle an s52. the getrag is also shorter and lighter. soo getrag need the getrag drive shaft. ZF needs the ZF driveshaft. also keep in mind the bolt patterns for you diff. they came in four or six bolt. you will need an appropriate drive shaft.
        I have heard many mixed openions on weather or not it could handle the motor. hell if im going to be doing the swap might as well do it right the first time with the ZF

Comment

indeed. if your doing an s52 swap you really should go with the ZF. Unless you were on a crazy tight budget i cant see why you wouldnt want to use it. you can probably use the rear half of your stock drive shaft with the front half of the one from the zf that way you dont have to worry about driveshaft/diff flange bolt patterns. just keep that in mind when sourcing parts.

Comment

I've put over 40k miles on my getrag with a supercharged M50 putting out over 380hp and it hold up fine

Comment

ive been finding the zF for no more than $300.... isnt much more to ask for to have a proper build

Comment

ZF is not needed, my local shop that swaps M motors into non-M's to race leaves the getrags in the car for two reasons. They are plenty strong and they are ~40 lbs lighter. No need to get it if you have a working getrag in the car.

Comment

As long as you're not planning on over 300whp, the getrag will be just fine.

Comment

where do you all find your M parts?

Comment

go turbo on the 318is you will probably get around 300-350hp pretty easy without doing to much to the engine

the zf is a very good transmission, but unessesairy if you ask me..

the breaks are overrated on 325/328 if you ask me... i would go with disks from a 325/328 and then get some mods on them and real calipers THAT will work great!

Comment

do yourself a favor, skip the overpriced s52, its slow a shit. put a turbo m50 in there, 5.0, or an ls1, your quality of life with greatly improve. Also are you more concerned with speed of looks? You cant go wrong with m3 bumpers, nice coils and wheels.

Comment

Working...
                        X