Shock/damper internals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock/damper internals

Hey guys! I've been looking into shocks and struts and things of the sort for quite a while now trying to get a better understanding of what I am working with, looking at and modifying.

So my question is can anyone school me on how twin tube shock absorbers work? What interlan parts do what, and my two main questions, how do you change valving and what actually fails when a shock 'blows.'

Thanks!
    Alex
    Originally posted by JC.
    'Stance' doesn't have to be scraping your car along the floor, that is simply the scene that has caught on. As long as your car looks amazing (in your eyes) while your rolling down the street, that is your own personal perfect stance.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Here i hopefully a more clear explanation of what Im looking for.I know this is a terrible picture but

Does anybody know what the bushing in the middle left of the picture (on the rod on the bottom) function is?

Also there is a valve thing at the bottom of the tube and of the rod, are these replaceable/upgrade able?
    Originally posted by JC.
    'Stance' doesn't have to be scraping your car along the floor, that is simply the scene that has caught on. As long as your car looks amazing (in your eyes) while your rolling down the street, that is your own personal perfect stance.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Getting the Rod and intrnal tube back tonight so I will take some better pictures, anybody have any input on this? I am hoping to put this thing together over spring break which is next week and would really like to know what it is I am doing before then!

Thanks!
      Alex
      Last edited by soab; 02-28-2012, 07:46 PM.
      Originally posted by JC.

Comment

Got my Strut rod back! Looking at it again I realized the middle rubber part is like an upper bumpstop which I hopefully wont be needing :P

Here are the pictures of the milled rod! Will tear the other strut down and do some comparo shots after my tests are done this week.

Full 2 inches shorter

The valve (I assume)

Wonder if I could upgrade/replace this...

And the bottom (valve?) of the main strut tube

My biggest challenges for putting these together is finding the best oil to put the struts together with, and how to seal the top, debating getting a pipe of the same size with threads and a top from home depot or something like that!

Edit found a decent resource after my buddy told me about shims that Ima read tomorrow when I'm awake! Looks like I might understand the magic of shocks one day after all!
        Maul Tech ATV & Cycles located in Jacksonville, IL, is a leading ATV repair shop serving Beardstown, Meredosia, Winchester, and surrounding areas since 2003. We offer ATV repairs and service, motorcycle repairs and service, engine diagnostics, and much more. For anything ATV related, stop by Maul Tech ATV & Cycles today.
        Last edited by soab; 02-28-2012, 11:57 PM.
        Originally posted by JC.

Comment

So I am headin back to VT tomorrow and I realize that fortune auto is right around the corner from Costco so Im probably gonna swing through there and hit them up and see if they can help me out or atleast point me in the right direction. But if anybody has experience on her figuring out valving I would still really appreciate it!
          Originally posted by JC.

Comment

what kind of shocks are those?

i found this the other day when i was researching shock revalving, had some pretty good information regarding the guts of the shock, sorry i cant help more. still learning myself. hopefully someone else can chime in.

Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack - DIY Bilstein revalve project - Intro: Since I was starting to get fed up with the black magic in paying others to revalve shocks (*cough* Koni *cough*) I decided to go with a set of Bilsteins and practice revalving them myself. The good thing about Bilsteins is that they...

Build Thread

Comment

So my question

Comment

They are struts off a 1991 or 2 Saab 9000s, but the suspension across all 9000s are interchangeable.
                Originally posted by JC.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Finally have some updates for this thread! No real exciting progress though

Height comparo after taking 2 inches out

How the factory seals the shock

Gotta figure out how to seal this (perferably non-permenantly so I can take them apart and rebuild them easier)

Top of the valve, anybody know what kind of valve this is just for general knowledge's sake?

And the bottom side

Less open sided holes so I guess its designed to flow less on the bottom than the top, but has more shims on the top than the bottom.

Hoping to meet with fortune auto in the coming weeks to talk valving unless anyone on here can help! Appears to use 8mm valves/shims but I don't have calipers to measure with juts a crappy soft tape measure.
                    Originally posted by JC.

Comment

I give you major props for going head-first into a set of shocks to get something done, that's awesome. I learned a lot from this thread so far.
                      - Bagged '98 Chevy S10 - Stock '88 Volvo 240DL - Broken '87 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Also Broken '87 Shelby Lancer #707/800 -

Comment

Yeah that kinda the hope, that if nothing else I can collect some basic knowledge here so if another me comes along looking for similar info its out there!
                        Originally posted by JC.

Comment

So no updates on struts but got to test fit some buddies Miata wheels and try out my adapters and by damn do they fit just right! haha

Originally posted by JC.

Comment

Working...
                          X