Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sleeve bags vs Bellow bags (both over strut)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeve bags vs Bellow bags (both over strut)

So...I'm about to finally order my strut kit for my Volvo wagon.

What I'd like to know is some experiences with the sleeve style set ups, the in's and outs and what not. I've only had experience with regular bellow style bags.

VERSUS

I understand the spring rate on the sleeve's is more progressive offering a better ride (perfect because this is being built to be a coast cruiser). What worries me as how they collapse and if leaving it layed out will wreck anything. They don't look as durable (maybe it's just me and my limited understanding of them).

For this reason I'm leaning towards the bellow style bags that I have had great experience's with. However; if there's something to learn here that I'm missing, I'd **** to miss out some advantages that could be had.

School me.

Lolvo build thread.

if you are directly referring to airlift struts as shown in the picture, load capacity is the difference. the max weight for a bellow exceeds what the sleeve can do. i cannot say that as a general statement because there are many other factors that determine this, for example, bag diameter. the factory Lincoln mark VIII air struts are sleeves and they are designed to hold up the front end of a 4000+ lb car just fine.

In your case, your decision will be based on clearance. If you can fit a max diameter of 7" up front, then go with the bellow, otherwise you need to use a sleeve.
    Originally posted by Kielan
    I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeCamber View Post
      if you are directly referring to airlift struts as shown in the picture, load capacity is the difference. the max weight for a bellow exceeds what the sleeve can do. i cannot say that as a general statement because there are many other factors that determine this, for example, bag diameter. the factory Lincoln mark VIII air struts are sleeves and they are designed to hold up the front end of a 4000+ lb car just fine.

In your case, your decision will be based on clearance. If you can fit a max diameter of 7" up front, then go with the bellow, otherwise you need to use a sleeve.
      Alrighty, I do plan on doing a 5.0L swap in the future...if the main difference is load capacity then I should probably look into the sleeve option. I should take some measurements and see, I think that kit comes with a 6" bag with no 7" option iirc.

Lolvo build thread.

Comment

Carter-

First off...I'm a HUGE Volvo guy...I have a 740 Wagon with LT1 and 6 speed going in whenever i can get my crap together...

That said, you want the bellows bags for your set-up assuming you have the clearance in the strut tower. .I also suggest the "high damping" strut as it is the same one we use on the Mustang kit. The Volvo and the Stang are about the same weight.

The bellows are more progressive and I have found that in almost every case, they work great and give you the maximum lowness. We run double bellow on almost every front application.

Please keep me in the loop on your build. If you document your build well, I will help make you famous by putting it on our webstite (if you let me..LOL)

Brian

Comment

Brian, on the subject of the bellows, why do you suggest the non adjustable strut? i was debating on getting the high damping unit for my car but went with the adjustable one instead, under the impression i could get the same damping out of the adjustable ones.....

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Brian@AirLift View Post
            Carter-

First off...I'm a HUGE Volvo guy...I have a 740 Wagon with LT1 and 6 speed going in whenever i can get my crap together...

That said, you want the bellows bags for your set-up assuming you have the clearance in the strut tower. .I also suggest the "high damping" strut as it is the same one we use on the Mustang kit. The Volvo and the Stang are about the same weight.

The bellows are more progressive and I have found that in almost every case, they work great and give you the maximum lowness. We run double bellow on almost every front application.

Please keep me in the loop on your build. If you document your build well, I will help make you famous by putting it on our webstite (if you let me..LOL)

Brian
            Haha I never thought anyone at airlift would be remotely interested in Volvo's...very cool project Brian. I'm a huge Chevy fan as well.

Sounds like you've been through this before (maybe more than a dozen times), and it sounds like some sound advice from your experience. Thanks!

As for the famous part, I'll update my build thread more thoroughly (link in my sig). To be famous is not my goal, but these cars deserve a lot more coverage! So I would be down with that.
            Last edited by carter; 02-13-2012, 08:24 PM.

Lolvo build thread.

Comment

Brian is one of the odd balls that happens to love Volvo's. I think the only one in the Air Lift family.

You def want to run the setup he is speaking of for your build. I used the same bags and struts for multiple custom installs. It rides amazing and does damage in the twisty's too. Great product!!!

Comment

Brian, on the subject of the bellows, why do you suggest the non adjustable strut? i was debating on getting the high damping unit for my car but went with the adjustable one instead, under the impression i could get the same damping out of the adjustable ones.....
                I was under this impression as well. I love having adjust ability.

Any input? High dampening vs the adjustables?

Lolvo build thread.

Comment

Originally posted by carter View Post
                  I was under this impression as well. I love having adjust ability.

Any input? High dampening vs the adjustables?
                  Sorry the Air Lift guys haven't responded to this question yet. I'm not exactly sure how this correlates to their universal line but when Air Lift was developing the suspension for the Mustang and Camaro, they found that the high dampening struts performed slightly better than the adjustable struts on the track.

The highest dampening of the adjustable struts is still aggressive but it's slightly less aggressive than the struts without dampening adjustment. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is most likely their reasoning for recommending the non-adjustable struts.

- www.bagriders.com - Email us at: sales@bagriders.com -

- Did you find a lower price? We Price Match! -

Comment

Originally posted by Rali@BagRiders View Post
                    Sorry the Air Lift guys haven't responded to this question yet. I'm not exactly sure how this correlates to their universal line but when Air Lift was developing the suspension for the Mustang and Camaro, they found that the high dampening struts performed slightly better than the adjustable struts on the track.

The highest dampening of the adjustable struts is still aggressive but it's slightly less aggressive than the struts without dampening adjustment. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is most likely their reasoning for recommending the non-adjustable struts.
                    there is that secret adjustment on the adjustable ones to make them even more aggressive than the stiffest setting
                    Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

Originally posted by Average_Jerk View Post
                      there is that secret adjustment on the adjustable ones to make them even more aggressive than the stiffest setting
                      up up down down left right left right b a start

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

fucking a right

Comment

Originally posted by Average_Jerk View Post
                          How in the world did you guys find out about that??

- www.bagriders.com - Email us at: sales@bagriders.com -

- Did you find a lower price? We Price Match! -

Comment

Originally posted by Rali@BagRiders View Post
                            How in the world did you guys find out about that??
                            we were 80s kids. figured that shit would work for everything.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

we were 80s kids. figured that shit would work for everything.
                              I try it at the ATM. Doesnt work there though

Comment

Working...
                              X