Coil sleeves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil sleeves?

I've been lowering trucks for a few years, but just got into lowering cars and came across lowering sleeves. I understand that they slide down over your strut then the coil sits on top but there are a few things I don't get.

Do you have to grind off the bottom spring cup when you out them on? I've seen them installed either way on google.

With a good aftermarket set of struts, how well would these perform vs real coilovers?

Also do you use a stock spring or a lowering spring when installing coil sleeves? I've seen them sold with and without.

Do you have to change the top mounts at all as far as where the spring seats in the upper cup?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm willing to do the cutting/fitting if it means spending $450ish on a set of good struts and sleeves rather then $1,300 on coilovers.

The car in question is a Toyota Camry (or possibly a corolla if I can't fix it's transmission). The only springs available are 2" drop and that's not good enough. I'd rather do sleeves then cut the springs.
    | 92 Corolla AE92 | HKS SMF, Testpipe, Hyperco/Tokico/GC | Houston, TX | 86Garage |

This should answer most of your questions-

Comment

That still doesnt explain why you need to cut off the lower spring perch. He doesnt even do that in this installation.

and

I guess that step is not necessary
      Last edited by kaidotech; 02-08-2012, 07:18 PM.
      | 92 Corolla AE92 | HKS SMF, Testpipe, Hyperco/Tokico/GC | Houston, TX | 86Garage |

Comment

He definitely does cut off the spring perch. Maybe you should read it again. But to answer your question, removing the perch will allow you to go lower.

Comment

Originally posted by sacrifice View Post
          He definitely does cut off the spring perch. Maybe you should read it again. But to answer your question, removing the perch will allow you to go lower.

END:

The bottom perch was not cut off. I only want 3.5-4" of drop so I probably wont need to remove them.

Comment

Correct, if you are looking to drop it a max of 4" then you should be fine with leaving the perch in. It definitely depends on the strut you are using as well. Some struts are shorter, some longer. It sounds like you will be able to get away with a smaller spring and keeping the perch in. You will be limited to adjustment due to the perch, though.

Comment

Sounds good! I just want to avoid having to buy some stiff 2" lower springs then cutting them. I dont want cut springs, and I'm replacing the struts anyways so I might as well go this route. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Not a problem, good luck with your setup. Take a look at springs here-

1 million+ parts, 800+ brands-all in-stock at guaranteed best prices. Buy by 11pm & your order ships same-day. Trust JEGS to get it right. Shop now!

Jegs will have everything you need to build a custom setup. You will have some math and calculations on your part but nothing too extreme.

Comment

I was looking at this for example, which is made for the car you buy it for, and already has the springs included.

So Id assume I could just buy some KYB or Tokiko struts and put these on, and call it a day.

Comment

I would honestly spend the extra money and get the stuff from Jegs. Those kits low quality parts and not to mention unknown spring rates.

Comment

Working...
                    X