E21 Coil/suspension/air Setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E21 Coil/suspension/air Setup?

I've been researching here and there for the perfect e21 coil setup but I can't make my mind up. Anyone know of a setup that would get me as low as possible? I've considered bags..know of any pros/cons for the e21 on air?

There are multiple coilover setups for the E21 (Gaz, Leda). I'm driving on Gaz and I love every minute of it, can't find any downpoint. On my current wheel/tire setup (same diameter as stock) I still have enough adjustment to put my oilpan on the ground if I would want to.
    Cons for air: way more expensive, no plug and play setups available. You'd have to modify the front control arm pickup points to actually get it on the ground. (same for coilovers, but that height wouldn't be drivable)
    Pros: Being able to drive it at a geometrically correct height for handling, being able to have it low with an M42 in it, being able to put the front bumper anywhere close to the ground.

Hope that helps. I'd do coilovers though, they go low enough and the Gaz ones are a delight.

Comment

How much did you pay for your Gaz setup and how low are you? The roads here are not all that bad but certain areas have the worst roads in all of the US. I've been leaning towards air..just not completely convinced yet. I don't know about installation though. I can put coils on myself but air will be pretty expensive to get done and then there is the reliability issue when it comes to shops installing air around here. Thanks for your input though. I actually use your e21 for inspiration.

Comment

There are a few guys on cut springs.

I'm on ledas, have been for a decade.

I will be building air soon.

Mr. Belvedere

I want to buy your single 4x100 Ronal Racing center

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
          How much did you pay for your Gaz setup and how low are you? The roads here are not all that bad but certain areas have the worst roads in all of the US. I've been leaning towards air..just not completely convinced yet. I don't know about installation though. I can put coils on myself but air will be pretty expensive to get done and then there is the reliability issue when it comes to shops installing air around here. Thanks for your input though. I actually use your e21 for inspiration.
          Thanks for that man, I hardly consider my E21 done or how I want it, but I appreciate it.
          I paid alltogether about 900 euros, which would be about 1200 dollars I think? I can certainly advise you on going with Raceperformancemodified.com if you decide on Gaz coilovers. Talk to Jimmy or Jenny.
          TheNeek down here was selling his Leda coilovers for about that much money a while ago, maybe he can help you? His car certainly is MY inspiration when it comes to E21s.
          As to cut springs: I consider E21s to be lovely cars when it comes to handling so I'm not cheaping down on that compartiment, I'm also going full Eurethane suspension soon.

Please don't hesitate to PM me if you have any further questions.

Comment

Oh and my oilpan is currently 7 cms (2.7 inch) from the ground, my engine is an M10. My sides are about 4 inch of the ground. My front tires are way too beefy right now, I gotta step those down before I can go lower, I plan on going about an inch lower.

Comment

A few of my friends and other people have recommended Ledas so if I do end up going with coils that's what I'm shooting for.

Have you researched air at all? I'm not that familiar with the set up so I don't know what to look for.

On another note..your e21 is probably what sold the idea to me. I had been in the market for e30s but couldn't settle for one therefore I broadened my search and was introduced to the e21. After falling in love with it I asked Mike Burroughs for his input on his favorite e21s and he told me of yours, Charlie Scott's and the Group 5 e21s. After he sent me your way I was completely in love. Can't wait to see it on air.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                Have you researched air at all? I'm not that familiar with the set up so I don't know what to look for.
                I haven't, but TheNeek is in the process of doing it, so I'm sure he has researched quite a bit. He has also bagged his E3 using a universal type of air suspension, so he knows how to do that. He's a nice guy, just PM him for help or something.
                There's a belgian guy with an E21 on air too, I donīt think heīs on here. Heīs running 17īs though, I think it looks horrible but some seem to like it.

Comment

I really want to go with air and am in the process of getting a custom strut figured out. It's just that I don't know how to make custom mounts work properly. I've never had any experience with any sort of custom mounting for struts.

Thanks again for all the info. I'll PM TheNeek about it to see if he has any advice.

Comment

Working...
                  X