Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help on Shock Inserts for custom coilovers

Alrighty, heres my problem.

Coming from a older toyota background i know the tried and true method of creating custom short stroke coilovers for 69-87 corollas. (and i know older BMWs use this same method)
    like so--

- A shorter shock is acquired
    - The strut housings are sectioned to accommodate the shorter shock
    - the housings are re-welded, and a new perch is added farther down
    - then you simply use a sleeve/spring combo and BOOM you have coils.

Simple right? well. not if you own a 1st gen mazda RX7 and you want teh lowz

The problem i ran into is that after i purchased a set of rear shock inserts for a MR2 (commonly used for AE86 conversions) i found that they were the exact same length as my OE inserts.

and thats a problem.

In order to successfully create a coilover conversion i would need a shock 1.5-2" shorter then my current ones.

Koni makes race inserts that are shorter BUT they are wider then my housings will accept (42mm vs. my housings which only accept a 36-38 mm shock)

So what i need is to see if another car uses a shorter shock insert then my current ones.

i made this nifty graph to explain

for example a 11" or 12" insert would be perfect.

if anyone has inserts laying around from any euros and could measure them for me, that would be wonderful
    Straight Outta Wiscompton
    Team Gileto. Graphics-Coatings-Performance
    Shakotan Midnight - Low Car Street Team

Did you figure something out? I'm curious as to how you got around this situation

Comment

Working...
    X