Custom strut top mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom strut top mount

Hey guys! I was lookin at my spare set of struts thinkin bout goin lower next spring and obviously my shock's are the biggest limiting factor at this point, I had an idea however. My struts have the upper spring mount and the strut bearing that actually bolts to the car (pictured below) on top. The thing is the strut bearing mount is fairly large/tall, and I could gain prob half an inch lower if I made one that was flatter/thinner. Then I realized I need to learn more about my suspension because I assume that just a flat plate of metal with the proper holes drilled wouldn't help because obviously that bushing like center and the bearing are there for a reason. So I figured Id ask y'all if anyone is a suspension master and could look at this pic and explain to me what im dealing with.

Thanks!
    Alex

Actually found basically what I was thinking bout, http://www.grandprix.net/forum/ubbth...er=3145&page=2
    he cut out the middle of his old mount and welded in a 'bump mount' which I have never heard of, and my other though is wouldnt a setup like this make it harder for the strut to rotate? I know he put the thrust bearings under the spring, but still..
    Last edited by soab; 12-21-2011, 03:43 PM.
    Originally posted by JC.
    'Stance' doesn't have to be scraping your car along the floor, that is simply the scene that has caught on. As long as your car looks amazing (in your eyes) while your rolling down the street, that is your own personal perfect stance.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Just make sure that the welds are good, and you'll be alright. Take a look at Ground Control "Raised top hats" for Hondas. It's similar to what you're looking to do.
    StatusRacing.com
    Configure YOUR Seat Here
    Tel: 1.480.265.8600
    Email: sales@statusracing.com
    Fan us on Facebook

Comment

Would I have to build a bearing into it somehow or would I just need to use the bushings to absorb the movement of the shaft and put a washer so the upper spring seat can kinda rotate?
      Originally posted by JC.
      'Stance' doesn't have to be scraping your car along the floor, that is simply the scene that has caught on. As long as your car looks amazing (in your eyes) while your rolling down the street, that is your own personal perfect stance.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Ok so I know a little bit more about this topic now, but I still don't know how important the rubber bushings are, my car weighs more than the typical Honda, or Miata so I would think the absorption of the forces might be more important, but I know my friends with extended top hats do not have all the rubber bushings and such.

The other difference I know between my strut and theirs is that mine turns with the wheel, and theirs is just fixed to the control arm.

So I don't really know what I am asking but if anybody has done anything like this I would really appreciate some advice!
        Originally posted by JC.

Comment

I would look into using a spherical bearing rather than a rubber bushing.
          025garage

Comment

You could also get away with a needle bearing deal that goes over the top spring collar, like what Mustangs use on their top-hats.

The small circular objects above the allen key, next to the spring collars.
            - Bagged '98 Chevy S10 - Stock '88 Volvo 240DL - Broken '87 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Also Broken '87 Shelby Lancer #707/800 -

Comment

Yeah I was going to use something like that but under the spring, I feel like the mount needs some sort of bushing though.. this car weighs 3000 lbs and Im runnin pretty stiff springs, I ould think I would need some cushion?
              Last edited by soab; 06-20-2012, 01:21 PM.
              Originally posted by JC.

Comment

If it were me, I wouldn't bother. The bushings are there from the factory to reduce noise transmission and vibration, but it's definitely livable even when solid. Just sounds like off-road tires or crappy pavement, but you can still hold a conversation.
                - Bagged '98 Chevy S10 - Stock '88 Volvo 240DL - Broken '87 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Also Broken '87 Shelby Lancer #707/800 -

Comment

Originally posted by Daviticus View Post
                  If it were me, I wouldn't bother. The bushings are there from the factory to reduce noise transmission and vibration, but it's definitely livable even when solid. Just sounds like off-road tires or crappy pavement, but you can still hold a conversation.
                  So it wont damage the fender/body where the strut mounts? I remember my buddies civic strut tower cracked but I think he said it was because he was too low with a (K?) series engine swap and he was getting bad tire hop.
                  Originally posted by JC.

Comment

Most cars can handle the forces of a rigid mount there. If I'm not mistaken, on a 900 aren't the bumpstops on the shock anyway? That's the weight of the vehicle plus the force of the suspension acting upon that very area - if it's good enough for that kind of abuse, I don't see why it couldn't handle a solid mount.

Worst case, add metal to the shock mount area.

Comment

Oh sorry this is for the 9000, I abandoned the 900 coil over setup.
                      Originally posted by JC.

Comment

Whoops, just saw I was missing a zero there haha. I was referring to the 9000, I just missed a key.

Comment

Working...
                        X