Macpherson aero sport bracket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macpherson aero sport bracket

hey all, just trying to do my homework... cant find pictures of the MACPHERSON AERO SPORT BRACKET installed onto a strut with an airbag installed... the more views the better... im just trying to picture all of the pieces in their places before i start ordering parts...

thanks!

It's just a plate mounted on the top and bottom of the bag.
    Originally posted by Kielan
    I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

I have been researching this stuff too and every time I read about the Universal Air bag over strut, bags it says
      NOTE: The brackets required to install these bags are 2 Flat Plates (Upper and Lower), Bearing Kit (You also can use your factor bearing plate for this application). Using the bearing supplied in the kit will allow you to achive an additional 1" Drop.

What do they mean bearing?

-Aron
      "Living life a quarter turn at a time"

Comment

its a thrust bearing that sits on top of the bag plate, so that when the custom strut mount rests on it, the assembly can twist as it does with the factory strut mount.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeCamber View Post
          the assembly can twist as it does with the factory strut mount.
          Like when you turn the car.

Mr. Belvedere

I want to buy your single 4x100 Ronal Racing center

Comment

lol. yea one of the small details when building a suspension.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

Maybe it's the type of suspension that my Manta uses but I'm not picturing why the bag would need to "rotate".

-Aron C.

Comment

When you turn the steering the whole front strut rotates cos of the way the wheel is attached. ie front wheel spindle is solid to the strut. Therefore the strut needs a bearing at the top where it mounts to the car bodywork. Most factory struts will have this bearing in the top mounting plate. You should be able to remove this plate and bearing and fit it to your air strut. My air struts came with bearings and blank top mount plates in an bag in case they are needed. They probably won't be.

Comment

Originally posted by OpelWagenGT View Post
                  Maybe it's the type of suspension that my Manta uses but I'm not picturing why the bag would need to "rotate".

-Aron C.
                  well it does need to "rotate" if its a macpherson strut

jack your car up, remove wheel, turn steering wheel, pick up your mind from the explosion.

Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

Here are some diagrams that should help. Andrew Ritter aka Rally/ Retromini made these a while ago.

- www.bagriders.com - Email us at: sales@bagriders.com -

- Did you find a lower price? We Price Match! -

Comment

Ok that makes sense for a macpherson strut. And it also makes sense why I wouldn't need that for my car. Here is a photo of a Manta front suspension. Wierd right?

The spring does in no way connect to the shock, it just goes around it.

the spring is not on there in the photo but you can see where it sits on the top and bottom. (that's not my rusty car BTW)

As you can see nothing rotates with the steering so I don't think these "bearing plates" are necessary. I have taken my springs out before and there is just a rubber spring top.

Sorry for jacking your thread

-Aron

Comment

the strut goes THROUGH the spring?

Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

Originally posted by Jesus Christ View Post
                          the strut goes THROUGH the spring?
                          Yes, although I would not call it a strut is just a front shock. You can see the rusty old shock in the first photo. It's a very strange system. The only cool part is the whole suspension can be removed from the car and is completely independant.

-Aron

Comment

Doesn't look strange to me.old chevys and many other cars had that style of setup.look into ridetech shockwaves if you are looking into a multilink style bag and shock combo.offers better stroke and lift.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

I was just going to use Universal Air Aero Sports, over some after market shocks. Probably try to find a shock that is shorter than stock.

-Aron

Comment

Working...
                              X