Spraying mesh wheels??? HALP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spraying mesh wheels??? HALP

So, I have a set of style 5's I am re-doing to run as a spare set of wheels.
    Normally, EVERY time I have ever done a set of RSs I have had them powder coated. Well, these are cheap so I was going as cheap as possible.

So what do I do, go get some rattle cans. Well, with the tight mesh of the Style 5's it is IMPOSSIBLE to get paint into grooves without overspraying which then runs.

So, now I have a set of wheel faces that look like dick up close. I honestly dont really care too much as these dont mean a whole lot to me but that's not how I roll.

Anyone have some advise?
    Real name is James

soda blast em and rattle can then bitches

Comment

Originally posted by KarlSpackler View Post
      So, I have a set of style 5's I am re-doing to run as a spare set of wheels.
      Normally, EVERY time I have ever done a set of RSs I have had them powder coated. Well, these are cheap so I was going as cheap as possible.

So what do I do, go get some rattle cans. Well, with the tight mesh of the Style 5's it is IMPOSSIBLE to get paint into grooves without overspraying which then runs.

So, now I have a set of wheel faces that look like dick up close. I honestly dont really care too much as these dont mean a whole lot to me but that's not how I roll.

Anyone have some advise?
      what i did is
      sand as best as you can..clean....sand...clean again then 2 coats of primer..then let them dry overnight...then base coat (3-5) times and what i should of done is clear coat...but try flipping the center and spray from behind also so you get better coverage.
      -Jorge-

Comment

to get the right coverage your going to have to do alot of passes on them, most mesh wheels are pretty hard to do, but if you do 4-5 light coats it should cover everything. If your getting runs it means your spraying too close and applying too much paint, try doing lighter coats and more passes
        iiililillillliliil
        bar|society

Comment

They are not impossible. Just take your time and lay a lot of coats.

Comment

Go from different angles to, and lightly

Flickr

Comment

Spray from the back also!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                Originally posted by E36HB View Post
                from the back also!!!

verrrrry light coats from all angles my friend. good luck on round 2.

www.effineuro.com

Comment

or you can sand plast em and powder coat em

honestly with time and effort on sanding and amount of money spent on rattle cans youd prob be preety close to how much it would cost to powder coat.

BalleurBuilt•DSDone
                  form>function
                  "i mean we cant even rock dem shoes if it dont got a comma on the price tag..."

Comment

Comment

1. lightly heat the centers, not 500 degrees or anything the lowest setting in your oven will do.

2. soak the paint cans in warm water for 20 min. before you spray. (standing up in a sink so you don't get water in the tips)

3. hang the centers, and be able to rotate them slowly as you spray.

The paint will mix better, dry faster, and coat more evenly.

Erik

Comment

Word. Paint shouldn't be running.

The outer lip is covered so I'd hang them by a rivet hole. I hung my motorcycle parts by the holes they connect at lol.. or just strung them through so there was no unpainted area.
                        We make our cars fit our wheels.

Comment

When I did mine I did lots of light coats from different angles, no running.

Comment

Like I said, these didnt mean much to me and I did them quick.
                            I already fucked them up so I will roll with what I got.

When I re-do them, I will do them properly.
                            Real name is James

Comment

If you can, hang them from a tree or something strung up like a hammock. This is allow you to hit them from all different angles. Just mount the string to parts that aren't shown OR just move the ties when it dries and put them somewhere else.
                              -Sam
                              W126 420SEL & 500SEL

Comment

Working...
                              X