Shortening E30 struts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shortening E30 struts

I've read a few threads but haven't really come to a good conclusion on the matter. My front shock just started leaking, so I figured it's time to do things right and shorten my next set of struts before they go on. I'm just on the ropes about which way to go.

Either G60 or IX shocks. A few questions first, should I be looking into strictly shock inserts and re-using the OEM housing? Or will I need a different shock housing? Lastly, what are my options for the rear as far as shocks go?

G60 shocks:
    -What all is involved in making these fit properly? I can't find a good "walkthrough" of sorts on shortening struts, as I've never done it before.
    -Any reason to go with Koni's over Bilstein in this case?
    -A few people shorten them "2-3 inches", is that just the insert, or is it the housing as well? I thought I read that modifying E30 housings causes issues with wheel clearance, but I could be wrong.

E30 IX shocks:
    -I know they're shorter shocks already, so will shortening them or the housing be necessary at all? Or would I just use a spacer in the housing or..?

Car in question; 1986 325e with serious lack of lows:
    Last edited by zx666r; 12-08-2011, 11:40 AM.

I think you may be a bit confused?

Do you already have a coil over conversion kit on there?

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

There's a coil conversion on it, but it's a cheap no-name brand. The shocks are KYB's, switched to the coil conversion from vogtlands.

Comment

You should shorten the struts and go with koni adjustables. i wouldnt change for anything else

Comment

Originally posted by Stolzy View Post
          You should shorten the struts and go with koni adjustables. i wouldnt change for anything else
          That doesn't really help much, ha. I planned on going with koni's already, just wasn't sure which would be better or more budget friendly. If the ix shocks are truly shorter already, and dont need much modification for fitting, I may just buy a set of ix koni's.

Comment

I've never heard of ix shocks being any shorter, but honestly going low is going to wear any stock shock out VERY quickly. I blew my billy sports out in less than a month with my coil over conversion kit on. They may be more expensive, but the shortened and re-valved Koni's from GC are the way to go. Hope that helps and sorry for the late response.

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Comment

a common swap is to shorter koni 1198s inserts. the ix are shorter than the 1198s.....

the way you will know if you need to shorten the struts depends on the location of your perch and spring. if you used a spacer to raise the insert to the stock location, the lower you go, the more you will compress the shaft, reducing the travel length. if you run of of travel, you will need to trim the spacer, thus needing to shorten the strut housing as well.
              Originally posted by Kielan
              I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

I think you're a bit confused. The strut inserts are shorter so that you can shorten the housing. For instance, Corrado Koni's are 4" inches shorter than stock e30 shocks, so you can shorten the housings (most do 2" or so), then add a spacer inside the housing to make up the difference. You will be using your strut housing, e30 strut housings aren't offered aftermarket because the sprindle is integrated into the housing. IX struts are shorter too and a lot of people use them. You won't need to modify these shocks, you'll just need to modify your strut housings.

And, your shocks will not wear any faster. Funfgang, your shocks probably blew because you were running them too low and they were bottoming out. When you lower an e30 a lot without shortening the housing you literally have no travel.

Comment

Who is that directed to? If its my post,not at all.the shorter insert can be used with a spacer to the stock location and still will fit the needs of a sleeve and spring conversion.its all about stroke length and how much is available.cut the housing as necessary.
                  Originally posted by Kielan
                  I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

OP, not you. Meant to quote the first post.

Comment

Originally posted by jcbe34 View Post
                      And, your shocks will not wear any faster. Funfgang, your shocks probably blew because you were running them too low and they were bottoming out. When you lower an e30 a lot without shortening the housing you literally have no travel.
                      Originally posted by FunfGang View Post
                      I've never heard of ix shocks being any shorter, but honestly going low is going to wear any stock shock out VERY quickly. I blew my billy sports out in less than a month with my coil over conversion kit on. They may be more expensive, but the shortened and re-valved Koni's from GC are the way to go. Hope that helps and sorry for the late response.

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Comment

Wow, just checked back in on the thread. I REALLY appreciate all the help. I was definitely confused on thinking I was supposed to shorten the insert itself. It makes much more sense to just shorten the housing.

I'll update if I run into issues, or with a finished product. Thanks again for all the help!

Comment

I wonna see pics of this thing on the ground. Just saying

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Comment

Here's my write-up with pictures, I know I'm a visual learner

Post your build threads here! Keep us updated on what you're doing in your garage.

Comment

Originally posted by Byron View Post
                              Here's my write-up with pictures, I know I'm a visual learner

http://stanceworks.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=282
                              That helps a TON. Thank you so much! That's exactly what I was looking for. Time for me to get to work

Comment

Working...
                              X