Bags in winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bags in winter

Hi guys I've just registered. I am thinking of bagging my car and was wondering how do bags cope with cold weather and snow? And another things is do they get along with pot holes in the road? My car is a VW Passat B6.

No problems as long as you have a water trap and maybe some air brake antifreeze. Drain the trap regularly. I did mine every time I filled the gas tank.
    I had little to no water ever (even without air brake antifreeze) I think because I parked in a garage every night. And I usually aired it up pretty high before I parked so the bags wouldn't freeze folded over themselves. This way even if the valves froze you could still drive until they thawed.
    Oh ya, I'm from Toronto, Canada.

Comment

the problem that I have had with cold weather is that my electric valves will freeze, which if this happens you will lose the capability to adjust ride height. If its cold where you live and its going to be your daily, I would highly recommend mounting the valves inside (trunk etc...) where they wont be exposed to weather. Also as Schnitz stated, a water trap is a good idea since your air system will without a doubt collect moisture. If you dont care about having a fast bag setup, take a look at manual valves. they will make your lifts and dumps far slower but are much more bullet proof compared to electrics.

Comment

I have manual valves and havent had any problems with them Even with the electric valves, I have heard that throwing some air brake antifreeze will pretty much solve any problem with freezing. The only problem is the check valve (depending on your compressor). I have a viair and like many others with viair compressors, the check valve likes to stick. I have only had it stick on me twice so far this winter, and even then it isnt too bad, a couple hits, let the compressor run for a bit, and its fine.

As for the bags, they should be fine in the winter; the bags, and most components for that matter are the same that are used on big 18 wheelers and what not, which are ran year round, day and night, through cold winters and hot summers. They will be fine, hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by Schnitz View Post
          No problems as long as you have a water trap and maybe some air brake antifreeze. Drain the trap regularly.
          This is key....had to do that for the mini truck all the time

Comment

Working...
          X