E36 With a Blown Head Gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E36 With a Blown Head Gasket?

So I'm looking for my first car, and I have fallen in love with BMW's. I have found quite a few good quality E36's on Craigslist for decent money, but many of them say "all it needs is a head gasket". This worries me, because head gaskets are not expensive to replace, and they may be hiding something. I don't want to buy the car then have to do a complete engine swap, I'm 16 and I don't have that much money to work with. So is an E36 with a blown head gasket worth it? Or should I just keep looking?

Oh crap, this should have gone in Engine and Drivetrain....

Comment

What's your price limit?

Comment

Originally posted by cbeebz View Post
        So I'm looking for my first car, and I have fallen in love with BMW's. I have found quite a few good quality E36's on Craigslist for decent money, but many of them say "all it needs is a head gasket". This worries me, because head gaskets are not expensive to replace, and they may be hiding something. I don't want to buy the car then have to do a complete engine swap, I'm 16 and I don't have that much money to work with. So is an E36 with a blown head gasket worth it? Or should I just keep looking?
        its cheap to replace if you are doing all the work, but if a shop does it its pretty pricey...like over 1k sometimes. so if its truly the HG and you can do the work go for it.

i dont usually trust anyone when it comes to purchasing cars so be thorough

Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

Head gasket at a shop on my ex's x8 was like 1600, and that was with a decent hookup, so I'd imagine that's a rather low estimate Jaze.

I'd imagine this dude would be better off holding out for a clean car. E36's aren't that expensive, especially non m's.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanDub View Post
            Head gasket at a shop on my ex's x8 was like 1600, and that was with a decent hookup, so I'd imagine that's a rather low estimate Jaze.

I'd imagine this dude would be better off holding out for a clean car. E36's aren't that expensive, especially non m's.
            very true, its alot of labor so if the rate is 95/hr like in some places it will maybe even get closer to 2k.

you can get a decent non m e36 for 2500

Comment

$95?! Damn we're over $100 here lol

Comment

Depends on the shop, I know Lots of shops here range from 70-100/hr. Dealerships 110+/hr. So glad I have buddies that hook it up If i need mechanical work I dont feel like doing
                Originally posted by Jesus Christ
                he mustve enjoyed that bj.

i know for a fact you chubby bitches could suck the air bubbles out of a brake line

Comment

Dealers here are $140 I think

Comment

What's your price limit?
                    I definitely want to try and keep it under $2k total. The guy wants $1k firm, and I don't have the time/space/possibly funds to do an entire engine swap. Should I just move on?

Comment

Originally posted by Jesus Christ View Post
                      very true, its alot of labor so if the rate is 95/hr like in some places it will maybe even get closer to 2k.

you can get a decent non m e36 for 2500
                      Damn only 95? Where are these shops that do good work at that price? Around me its like 110/hr.
                      Dealers here are $140 I think
                      That's about right for a BMW dealer around my area.
                      I definitely want to try and keep it under $2k total. The guy wants $1k firm, and I don't have the time/space/possibly funds to do an entire engine swap. Should I just move on?
                      Move on, get a Honda or a 240 is you really want RWD.
                      - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

Move on, you're not gonna get that running for under 2k if you don't do everything yourself.

Comment

BMW dealers here are 150/hr but 95/hr was assuming he took it to a random general mechanic.

Comment

Wouldnt do it quite honestly had an E36 M3 myself at first thought it was the head gasket turned out to not only be that but a cracked head and had to replace both not to mention the cooling system..... although i did do a money shot -_-

Comment

Just a small piece of advise. Most of the E36's I have taken down with a quote "blown headgasket" have had a crack in the cylinder head. In my 11 years as a tech at a BMW dealer I have only seen one without a cracked head, and it was leaking in the back corner on the exhaust side. It ran fine and was in for an oil change when we found it.

Comment

Working...
                              X