Coil help Mk3 Golf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil help Mk3 Golf

What's up everyone, I am still new to all of this and am beginning work on my first car. (mk3 golf) Just curious if you could help point me in the right direction of a few decent brands of coilovers. I am not interested in anything cheap but at the same time I do not need the stuff pros use. If you're really bored and about like to help out with companies that also make good camber kits. Thanks in advance.

Well, first there's not much stuff available for camber cause the MK3's rear axle is fixed. Front camber can be adjusted but you should have done that by a pro.

As for coils: you can buy everything from cheap to insanely expensive for the mk3. Cheapest ones are TA Technix coils, JOM coils and Tuning Art. Good coils for reasonable money are AP which is subsidiary company of KW (top notch).
    Best coils for smallest money are FK street coils cause FK uses Koni shocks.
    I have H&R rebound 30 coils in my Corrado (which is the same set i had in my MK3 back then). I'm more than satisfied but these are quite expensive.
    slamburglars.com

Comment

Thanks, that helps give me a good head start. Did you have any problems with any of your VW's? Probably should ask in a different part of the forum, but thought it was worth asking someone experienced.

Comment

Didnt have any problems with axles, drive shafts or anything! Just get new top mount before installing the coils! There are also lowering spring caps for the fronts available which i'd recommend to you. Advantage is that these lower the front axle about 15mm and you dont have to crank down the coils like crazy which you mean they become very stiff. As far as i know they're not available for the rears though...

Feel free to ask me if you got any more questions bud!
        Last edited by G535; 11-03-2011, 04:42 AM.
        slamburglars.com

Comment

i had AP coilovers, and i liked them loads

they are not the most expensive nor cheapest ones out there, but i think they great value for money

and they go low
          Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll definitely look into the lowering springs, and ap coils.

Could someone also help clear up this camber debate I've been having. A friend and I have been talking, the mk3's have a fixed rear axle, and he says that means no camber kit. I personally don't care much for the negative camber look, how do you avoid negative camber, without shims/spacers and some poke? Maybe I'm being too picky but I just really like that low tucked look.

Comment

As long as you dont install camber shims you wont have any noticeable negative camber on a MK3, MK2, MK1 or Corrado. It might look a bit like neg camber when you poke out the wheels but its not. Didnt have any inner tire wear ever on both of my cars, neither does my buddy on his Corrado and he's running 50mm spacers and 9,5x16 in the rear...

Oh and dont buy lowering springs - its lowering spring caps what you need
              slamburglars.com

Comment

i wanna take advantage of the topic here to ask you guys:

MK3 golf 2.0 and VR6 can fit the same coilover set up with no mods? i mean a right-bolt-on

what about Corrado G60 and VR6?

Instagram: dankasrz_s666

Comment

yup i had vr6 on my tdi (ap coilovers)

so i'm assuming on a 2.0 would be no problem either?
                  Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

^^ well.. thats what im wondering now.

i searched in vwvortex all around and no clues. thay all say is that G60 is good car and VR6 is a heavy shit (in few words) :S

Comment

Every mk2,3 and Corrado has the same suspension - they bolt right on. Only differences are in bearing load. i wouldnt run a stock suspension kit off a 75hp mk2 on a VR6 mk3 although it would actually fit...
                      slamburglars.com

Comment

thanks man

Comment

Hey, I also have a Mk3 Golf and was wondering the same thing,but I have heard that cheaper coils are usually bouncier and was wondering about the stiffness of most mid-priced coils.

Comment

Mhh...TA Technix cois (which are labled Raceland in the US irc) for example are alright during the first 15k miles or so but become stiff and bouncy as fuck later on. At least thats what my buddy experienced. He ran them on his 2008 Seat Leon. On MK3s they seem to be really good though.

AP coils are really good. Comfy but not too soft. Or get some FKs theyre great too.
                            slamburglars.com

Comment

Working...
                            X