Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another E30 Thread. VW shocks and Civic springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another E30 Thread. VW shocks and Civic springs?

O.K I know there's a ton of suspension threads for E30's but this is quite a different question and could help a lot of people.

So first I head some VW shocks fit E30's but are shorter and therefore give you more travel? Is it a straight fit or is there modification?

Secondly 04 Civic coilover sleeves can be welded onto e30 shock towers as a cheap alternative to something like ground control or similar. I can't find any 04 civic coilover sleeves for sale in the UK.. Does anybody know if any other cars coilover sleeves fit? (long shot I know)

Any help is super appreciated!

It's not a different question, they're pretty much all the same. To get your e30 low and run reasonable rates you'll need to shorten the strut housings. Obviously, when shortening the strut housing you'll need the strut that goes inside of it to be shorter. Corrado Koni's are 4" shorter and e30 IX struts are shorter as well. You can buy coilovers sleeves for the front and back for $180 from A-1racing.com, however, you'll need to run Bilsteins in the rear with these because they have a removable spring perch. You can check my e34 build thread for more info because its basically the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam. View Post
      O.K I know there's a ton of suspension threads for E30's but this is quite a different question and could help a lot of people.
      So first I head some VW shocks fit E30's but are shorter and therefore give you more travel? Is it a straight fit or is there modification?
      Secondly 04 Civic coilover sleeves can be welded onto e30 shock towers as a cheap alternative to something like ground control or similar. I can't find any 04 civic coilover sleeves for sale in the UK.. Does anybody know if any other cars coilover sleeves fit? (long shot I know)
      Any help is super appreciated!
      E30 gewinde completely different structure than the VW or Honda gewinde stems!
      This solution to cut off the stem does not best thing!
      This thing is a bit reckless!
      Baby Six!

Comment

Originally posted by jcbe34 View Post
        It's not a different question, they're pretty much all the same. To get your e30 low and run reasonable rates you'll need to shorten the strut housings. Obviously, when shortening the strut housing you'll need the strut that goes inside of it to be shorter. Corrado Koni's are 4" shorter and e30 IX struts are shorter as well. You can buy coilovers sleeves for the front and back for $180 from A-1racing.com, however, you'll need to run Bilsteins in the rear with these because they have a removable spring perch. You can check my e34 build thread for more info because its basically the same thing.
        Thanks for the advice but you kinda didn't answer either of my questions

Comment

I kinda answered both, I explained the modifications you need to make to run VW or 325ix shocks (both shorter). I dont have a civic so I can't comment on whether or not coilover sleeves for a Civic would fit your e30 but I did give you a cheaper alternative that will. Your strut housings on the front are a little over 2" in diameter (late model, I believe early models are smaller), so if you find a sleeve kit that close to that I'm sure you could make it work. Mk1 and mk2 VW sleeves will fit e30 housings also

Comment

Ok awesome. So if I buy some Corrado shocks what will I need to do to fit them?

Comment

cut off the stock spring perch and take 1.5-3" out of your strut housing, the weld on a ring to support the sleeve. You'll need a strut spacer to go inside the housing also since the vw shocks are 4" shorter, and you wont be cutting that much out.

Comment

Is it worth using corrado shocks or does it make more sense to just use e30 bilstiens or something for simplicity?

Comment

Use 325ix shocks; they're the same as regular e30 shocks in every dimension except for length, whereas the VW shocks are a different diameter, have different thread sizes, etc. Cut 2" out of the housings and get collars from A-1 racing

Comment

I might be able to get some Bilsteins from my friends 318is so I'll probably go with them. If I need more travel after its dropped I'll have to re-think it. Thanks for the help everyone!

Comment

Audi 80/90/coupe ones fit too same diameter as the e30 ones and are shorter

E30 ones are 430mm (body only) and 44m body diameter
                      audi 80/90/coupe ones are 360mm (body only) and 44mm body diameter

Il be getting them next week so wont be absolutely positive till then but there a very close match

Comment

They all work just fine, the VW shocks worked completely fine for me with no modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by jcbe34 View Post
                          They all work just fine, the VW shocks worked completely fine for me with no modifications.
                          You have a link to the shocks you used?

Comment

Working...
                          X