Project Über 3er

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Über 3er

Just copied this of another forum I post on.

Hi all thought Id post a project thread of my car, Its a 97 Calypso Red 318is I bought in February 08 absolutely standard. Here’s how she looked.

The first thing I did was a e38 interior light conversion. I’ve always been into the vdub scene and my mates Golf came with a Passat interior lights the previous owner had installed as they had the mood lights (two orange lights in the interior light panel that glow down on to the handbrake and gear stick area- if you’ve ever been in a e39 and e38 you’ll know what I’m talking about) so I thought id look into what BMW’s came with the mood lights, it just happens that my mate owns a e38 7 series, measured it up and it’s the same size so I got on eBay and found a grey one. I haven’t figured out the full wiring but it works like it’s meant to apart from the rear quarters lights don’t come on anymore – it’s a work in progress lol the fit isn’t factory flush but its not a noticeable problem.

BBS’s were to follow… ☺
    I always dreamed of owning a set of BBS splits even before I had my driving licence, but I never thought Id be putting them on a BMW! (Original project was gonna be a Mk3 Golf lol) I sourced the wheels in Germany from a guy who refurbs them himself, there off an e39 5 series 8x17 Fronts and 9x17 on the rear. Centres painted Nogaro silver. A few pictures of them on

I then got around to sorting my headlights out. Sourced the HID and angels of ebay and fitted them

Originals vs HID

I then got the car round to Dips(Custom Cars) to get the arches rolled and flared out…coilovers were ordered :evil:

I forgot to take pictures when I fitted the coilovers, im sure you guys know what they look like, there the ones of eBay, cheap and cheerful, really good value for money but then again I haven’t really experienced a really good set of coilys. Some of you may remember the car looking angled nose down- I had jus fitted the coilovers and didn’t get around to adjusting them proper so I thought id give that look a go lol

Here’s how she looks levelled out

I’ve fitted a E36 M3 back box which I bought from…eBay! £75!! Ready to go!

-Euro/Us spec indicator side lights
    -Leather bra
    -Front bumper number plate blank (no number plate recess)
    -Smoked Front indcators
    -Smoked side repeaters.

For the indicator side lights, I’ve just drilled into the back of the indicator and places the bulbs you get in your side repeaters in. I got really luck went to halfrauds to get the bulbs and was looking in there reject section, found 2 1m cables with the bulb holders, spoke to one of the girls and they gave it over for free...result! There wired to a separate switch so I can turn them on and off without messing with the light switch. The Leather bra i had custom embroidered 'Project uber 3er' in red stitching. To my door cost me £100 from John at Bespoke leathering - top geezer by the way very good service and the product is amazing!

Really love my little touches so i got on realoem and found that some US spec cars came with a front bumper trim without the number plate holder. Got to scothall on the A1 and orderd it yday fitted it today... i love it!

Also giving that 'no center cap' look a go lo

The smoked indicators you've can see in the picture just a straight swap over, gonna get the rears soon.

On the bodywork side, well I’ve got something in the making… It was meant to be done for summer 08 but ran out of time and got lazy! Defo will be ready for this summer 09! (Hopefully)

Will post updates but that about it for now

Hope you enjoy the read!

Update

-Custom M Front Bumper
    -Custom Front bumper centre moulding/trim
    -Smoothed Bonnet badge recess
    -New nose cone
    -Black Kidney grills
    -Ümnitzer Angel Eyes
    -YAT Headlight Shrouds
    -Headlight lenses covered in gun smoke Lamin-x
    -YAT adjustable front top mounts
    -M Door mouldings
    -YAT Hub centric 10mm Rear Spacers
    -Colour Coded BBS style 5’s with Gold bolts wrapped in 205/40/17 Yokohama Parada’s
    -M Rear bumper
    -Smoothed Boot lid badge recess

The bits from Yat on e36coupe.com.
    In the order shown – 10mm Spacers, Adjustable front top mounts, headlight shoruds

Front bumper
    I sourced the m3 bumper from eBay last year, damaged and won it for £30! Found out it wasn’t really damaged just been in a little graze with a van, result!

We started by making the intake duct for the induction by getting pieces of scrap plastic and bending them into shape then fixing it into place using a soldering iron.

We then set about blocking the fog light holes and brake ducts with pieces cut to shape and using the soldering iron again. Then it was just a mix of fibreglass and filler to shape. There’s usually a dip where the number plate trim sits it. Smoothed that out too. And added a M3 evo lip to the bumper smoothed that in too, forgot to take pictures of that thou lol

After that was just a case of sanding, reapplying the filler and more sanding to get the shape right.

Rear bumper
    M3 rear bumper sprayed up

Moulding
    I had to make a straight piece of bumper trim as I had smoothed the original recess out so I just chopped the original trim and used a mix of fibreglass and filler. That’s didn’t work and I ended up a fiberglass ruler!

Raided my dads garage found UPOL Plast-x, a type of filler for plastic bumper bumpers etc. Was a bitch to sand down but made the trim nice and solid and stuck really well to the trim.

The plast-x

After sanding

More sanding

In primer

After a lot of sanding and re-applying, prepped it for paint and aerosol primered it. I wanted a oem look trim so I needed that plastic texture look, Bob came up with a ingenious idea of using aerosol stone chip, the only thing we had to hand at the time. So I coated it 3 times in that and then a coat of satin black.

After a few coats of stone chip

A close up of the texture effect.

Also bought another trim with the number plate recess so now all I do is change the mouldings for the no number plate look.

Rear boot lid
    A few shots of when I was deleting the rear boot lid badge recess.

And some of Bob and me doing my bonnet badge recess.

After paint

The new nose cone and kidney grills

Headlights
    I was always unsure of the idea of smoking my headlights but I took the plunge and im happy with the result. Used Lamin-x.co.uk to buy their gun smoke protective film. It was just a case of measuring up the lens and slowing applying it on making sure to push out the air bubbles.

The Ümnitzer angles were another headache. I like the delensed look and then found out the rings size only allow it to mount onto the lens but I remember seeing Ram’s Atlantis e36 with Ümnitzers de-lensed. Messaged him who was a great help and he told me he had done a bit of custom work to get them sitting right.

I basically followed his method and used small plastic pieces to hold the rings in place and stuck them down with clear silicon.

Also added headlight shrouds that where sourced from Yat over on e36coupe, top geezer. Kept them in their stainless steal form, I just think they look cooler! Forgot to take pictures whilst fitting them but here’s some of them on the car.

The M Mouldings
    I bought the side mouldings second hand, sprayed them with a bit of trim spray, and they came out like new.

When I stripped the front end

The wheels
    My wheels when I took them of car, they were in a really bad state, really had neglected them.

The rims were dropped to Dips for some special treatment! Re-polished dishes, gold bolts and colour coded centre. Great customer service by dips, sent me pictures during the refurb.

Also added little BBS stickers to the lips of the wheels, always loved the way the looked on some LM’s thought I’d give it a go lol.

Some final pics of the car at Santa pod and other randoms.

A few shots taken recently by a friend

Comment

I dig it, the color matched wheels are great. I like the shaved hood as well.

Comment

Such a gorgeous color. Nicely put together car

Comment

Nice build

Comment

Very nice write up, Great pictures, the watermarks are very distracting.

Comment

repect for the work!!AWESOME car!i really love the color!!

Comment

looks awesome, love that color
                2011 Outback 2.5i 6MT #subarubaru - daily/off-pavement adventure vehicle
                2001 BMW 325i Wagon 6MT #daswagoon - wife's #becauseracewagon
                1996 Suburban 2500 TD #superbbourbon - tow bitch/people hauler

Comment

sick ride!! I need some 17x9s so bad
                  -Jorge-

Comment

ohhhhh noyyyce, just one ting bugging me. Its the indicator lights.
                    -Instagram@jdjurhuus
                    Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

Looks nice all that hard work has paid off.
                      Live,Breathe,Build,Believe,BMW!

Comment

Looks good! I love the color

Comment

Sick build.
                          Originally posted by da3bous
                          I want you to photoshop a giant penis down the side of my car

Comment

Great work, came out awesome.
                            [

Comment

shit is fresh. I wish I could get my front end that low.

Comment

Working...
                              X