Exhaust sound tuning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust sound tuning?

Anyone got some general rules for getting a deeper/throatier exhaust? I'm building a new exhaust this weekend and could use some tips.

Comment

Umm...Resonators, muffler choice, type of piping, etc all play a part...What exactly are you looking for? Seems like a very broad question.
      Originally posted by FluidMotorUnion
      Fuck Rotas, I'd rather my wheels not break apart when I drive over a watermelon seed.

Comment

Turbos make everything sound better.
        2000 V6 Firebird
        • H/C/I • Full exhaust • Strano HP7 w/Konis • Watts Link • GTO T-56 •
        sigpic

Comment

What I've found, larger resonators/mufflers make the sound deeper. Think of it like a musical instrument, a trumpet is higher pitched than a Tuba. Also remember don't go too big with your exhaust pipe, or you'll lose MPG and a bit of power as well.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxBell View Post
            No idea why this question warrants a face palm, but thanks for the sweet pic. Never seen it before!

Originally posted by Lt. Dangle View Post
            Umm...Resonators, muffler choice, type of piping, etc all play a part...What exactly are you looking for? Seems like a very broad question.
            Trying to build an exhaust for my bike that doesn't sound raspy and terribly high pitched. The rasp seems to be partially due to thin/weak piping... I think.

Originally posted by Jlyons617 View Post
            What I've found, larger resonators/mufflers make the sound deeper. Think of it like a musical instrument, a trumpet is higher pitched than a Tuba. Also remember don't go too big with your exhaust pipe, or you'll lose MPG and a bit of power as well.
            I'm thinking about just doing a 4-1 merged header with a long resonator. MPG and power aren't really a concern to me, as long as I'm not losing 10+ MPG or 5+ HP.

Thanks guys. I didn't get a chance to build the exhaust this weekend. Hopefully next weekend.

Comment

Working...
            X