E30 Coilovers - What do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E30 Coilovers - What do?

Hey folks, just bought some 16x9 et15 wheels for my E30, and I need some low. Lots of it. Decided coilovers rather than the tried & true bilstein/H&R setup are the go for me so that I have the adjustability I need. My question is what brand do I go with?

I'm looking for the following:
    -Lots of low
    -Firm but comfortable
    -Reasonable price (~$1200AU?)
    -Fully adjustable would be nice
    -Bolt-in or close to it
    -Not shitty

From all this I figured these would be the go:

E30 Custom Coilovers

They offer a huge amount of customisation; I'm planning on going for a coilover conversion at the rear and helper springs and dampening adjustment all round.

BUT

for the life of me I cannot find a review of them anywhere aside from a few people on S|W planning on buying them. Does anyone have any experience with them? If not can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks heaps

Ifield

EDIT - Looked at D2, BC Racing, and Ksport; all similar price and all offer 6kg spring rates. Anyone know if any of these are any good/better than the ones above? Also not interested in Ground Controls.
    Last edited by Ifield; 09-09-2011, 02:13 AM.
    sigpic

I've never heard of those, and I thought I knew coils. I'm on Bil/H&R right now, but the car I crashed last month had BC Racing coils on it.

Very good. That is all.

EDIT: They actually look pretty good. Some idiot (who probably has never drifted in his life) asked some questions, and got a good answer.

Q: hey guys, i have an 1984 bmw e30 323i, im looking for a set of coilovers, the set that you make for the e30 shown in the picture, do they come with front knuckels? how much would it be 4 a set of 4, fronts with adj camber tops and knuckels already atached and 9kg springs, base hieght and dampner adj, and rear set base hieght and dampner adj and 7kg rear springs, posted to nsw 2763? im using the car 4 drift, the car dosnt have much power atm, r those spring rates ok? or should i go stiffer? thanks pete. 01-Jul-11
    A: Hi Pete, Thank you for your interest. We can either build a kit for the same price as in the add with sleeves at the front to get your spindles welded (very cheap). Or we can supply and weld the spindles like in the picture for 190aud extra for the pair sourced, welded, painted. Total will be: 910aud basic kit with custom specs, shipping, height and preload adj 190aud e30 spindles 30aud damping adj on the 4 shocks 60aud front camber plate with dual bearing (extra durable) Total: 1190aud all included. I would advise you the go with our free coilover conversion in the rear instead of the separated shocks/springs in the rear. (we can do both). Regarding the spring rates, is the car for drift only? I would change the balance of your springs front/rear. Even just for tarmac use i would go with 10kg front and 12kg rear. It will be perfect for drift too. Much more stable in the rear, and easier overseer. With 9 front and 7 rear, the car will understeer much more/oversteer much less. If you still use the car on the street, go with 7kg front and 9kg rear. Linear springs. Monotube shocks would be great too for a drift car for faster shocks response and less heat build up. (same price.) Let me know if you have any questions. We make lots of kits for e30, people love the quality and services that we provide. Best regards, Cedric
    Last edited by MaxBell; 09-09-2011, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Out of curiousity, why are you not interested in Ground Control?
      Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

Originally posted by Average_Jerk View Post
        Out of curiousity, why are you not interested in Ground Control?
        my guess is that it's because he's in ausjailia.

the company looks like they do basically the same thing as GC would. i would give them a visit if they are close enough and tell them your goals to see what they can do.

Comment

uhh why do they recommend converting the rear to true coilover?

dont do that.

Flickr

Comment

where do you see that?

Comment

"I would advise you the go with our free coilover conversion in the rear instead of the separated shocks/springs in the rear. "

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                "I would advise you the go with our free coilover conversion in the rear instead of the separated shocks/springs in the rear. "
                thats bullshit. do not do that

Comment

Lol,not unless you want a collapsed shock tower....
                  Originally posted by Kielan
                  I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeCamber View Post
                    Lol,not unless you want a collapsed shock tower....
                    lol very true. and also on the conversion you have to run narrow high offset wheels cuase they stuff the spring at the bottom.

Comment

Thats what i'm sayin. You can really only do that with a gnarly cage

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                        Ah, didn't read the second post. Original picture doesn't look like it's setway. up that

Comment

Wow, thanks for all the responses! I had no idea about the strut tower weakness, I was planning on doing the coilover conversion at the rear but I'll give that a miss! And yeah Ground Controls would be nice but they're a bit of a nightmare to buy in my part of the world, so the next best thing seem to be setups like this. I think I will end up going with these, just the whole "eBay stigma" made me a little uneasy. Anyone else know of anything I should be wary of?
                          sigpic

Comment

Just be realistic with your usage. Too many idiots are like, "OMG I WANT TO DRIFT I NEED 9000KG SPRING RATES" and end up killing any and all passangers who try to ride with them.

I fell into that trap. If you're going to be daily driving, buy something appropriate for some spirited daily fucking driving.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxBell View Post
                              If you're going to be daily driving, buy something appropriate for some spirited daily fucking driving.
                              Hah that's pretty much all I need them for, so realistically these should do the job fine I think. Certainly not planning on throwing my beloved beemer sideways into a tyre wall.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X