X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom AIr Tanks ?

Hey all,

Im air bagging my 96 VR6 .And I want to do custom Air tanks for my install,
    Im using stainless steel Square tube one holds 7 litres of water the other 4 ltrs.

My Question is, In total is that 11 ltrs of AIR ? or more as it will be compressed.
    Im guessing this is no where near enuff air ?

11 Ltrs = 2.9 Gallon. sounds like I need ALOT more ?

And my car.

Last edited by vdubin; 01-12-2012, 08:34 PM.
    B5.5 Passat Wagon, 69 Squareback, 67 Beetle, 72 Notchback

yes thats tiny, I would never run a tank smaller then 8gallons
    Originally posted by Jesus Christ
    he mustve enjoyed that bj.

i know for a fact you chubby bitches could suck the air bubbles out of a brake line

Comment

Wow, that is a badass idea though. After going to TexMex here in TX (bagged truck mecha of the US for bag truck shows), I saw 10,000 combos of airtanks and pumps - and not a single one was square. Do it man, be unique. Are you using this to just slam when parking then lift up and drive away? If so you dont need a bigger tank, it's just gonna be slower.

But Benz has a point. I've never seen anything below 5 gallon. Maybe use bigger boxes?
      | 92 Corolla AE92 | HKS SMF, Testpipe, Hyperco/Tokico/GC | Houston, TX | 86Garage |

Comment

It depends on what you want out of your setup. I'd be concerned of the strength of the square tanks at your target PSI more than the holding capacity. Theres a good reason why pressurized tanks are round in shape instead of square.

Comment

Originally posted by kaidotech View Post
          Wow, that is a badass idea though. After going to TexMex here in TX (bagged truck mecha of the US for bag truck shows), I saw 10,000 combos of airtanks and pumps - and not a single one was square. Do it man, be unique. Are you using this to just slam when parking then lift up and drive away? If so you dont need a bigger tank, it's just gonna be slower.

But Benz has a point. I've never seen anything below 5 gallon. Maybe use bigger boxes?
          Being Unique is my Aim Kaidotech,Thats the reason for the Square tanks.
          And yes I've reaslised there way to tiny !

Originally posted by Loud&Clear View Post
          It depends on what you want out of your setup. I'd be concerned of the strength of the square tanks at your target PSI more than the holding capacity. Theres a good reason why pressurized tanks are round in shape instead of square.
          Loud&Clear Im new to Air ride systems, what should my target PSI be ?
          Strength was the other issue also,These tanks are 3mm thick & only tiny so I think they could handle some air,Knowing Im going to have to go alot bigger the inside will be reinforced,So its out of my league.

Im still trying to understand Air Weight ? If its 10ltrs of water is that still 10 litres of compressed Air ??
          now to find someone who can make one...

Comment

Originally posted by benz88 View Post
            yes thats tiny, I would never run a tank smaller then 8gallons
            unless you are an attention whore who needs to constantly play with the switches that is definitely overkill.

plenty of people run 3gal tanks, me being one of them. i can get 2 full lifts with some to spare off my 3gal. this will obviously depend on the bags you are running, but you will be fine with what you have.

looking forward to the end result.

Comment

Originally posted by Francois Dillinger View Post
              unless you are an attention whore who needs to constantly play with the switches that is definitely overkill.

plenty of people run 3gal tanks, me being one of them. i can get 2 full lifts with some to spare off my 3gal. this will obviously depend on the bags you are running, but you will be fine with what you have.

looking forward to the end result.
              Interesting,
              All I want to do is slam it at shows and lift it to drive off
              I got AirLift Liftstyle & Performance Struts .
              and the AccuAir SwitchSpeed Control so Ill try to get one more Square tank.

Im Looking forward also Francois Dillinger.

Comment

You could always have someone build a square "box" around a pre-built round tank. That would give you the reliability of a quality tank, with the look you're after.
                StatusRacing.com
                Configure YOUR Seat Here
                Tel: 1.480.265.8600
                Email: sales@statusracing.com
                Fan us on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by StatusRacing View Post
                  You could always have someone build a square "box" around a pre-built round tank. That would give you the reliability of a quality tank, with the look you're after.
                  i would do this, much better idea...i know swoops is starting to make his own tanks but they all need to be pressure tested for saftey
                  Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Forgot to mention earlier... Square tanks would be dope. Make it happen.
                    StatusRacing.com
                    Configure YOUR Seat Here
                    Tel: 1.480.265.8600
                    Email: sales@statusracing.com
                    Fan us on Facebook

Comment

Thats not a bad idea StatusRacing.

Im chasing up one more 7 litre square tank,so two 7 Litre tanks and one 4 litre tank,prob have them stacked on top of each other..at this stage.

My air managment has arrived now waiting on the struts, so Hopefully ill be going to melbourne this weekend to pick up the air ride kit !!

Im really going for a unique look,Using Copper hardlines in the boot,so any cool ideas do share,will keep posted with pics.

Forgot to mention earlier... Square tanks would be dope. Make it happen.
                      Its going to happen

Comment

look in here...a bunch of hardline setups

Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
                          look in here...a bunch of hardline setups

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ight=hardlines
                          Thanks hinrichs that just gave me Heaps more ideas now.

Picked up the bags & air management yesterday.

Hopefully Got another square tank 1200 long get it on Tuesday.

The Fun Starts.

Comment

We wanted to do something different and did square tanks on my yota build up a few years back.

A few things here:

1. 5 gallons is really all you need (each one of mine was about 2.7)
                            2. To pull this off you can only run 150 psi max
                            3. You MUST use extremely THICK steel with solid tig welds and pressure test the tanks, this process is not to be taken lightly...

Doable, but definitely takes a TON of know how and shouldn't be attempted without plenty of research and math by a very experienced fabricator and engineer.

Good luck - can't wait to see what you come up with!
                            Mike Alexander
                            Director of Marketing
                            Mike@AccuAirCS.com
                            (877) 247-3696

Comment

Originally posted by AccuMike View Post

We wanted to do something different and did square tanks on my yota build up a few years back.

A few things here:

1. 5 gallons is really all you need (each one of mine was about 2.7)
                              2. To pull this off you can only run 150 psi max
                              3. You with solid tig welds and pressure test the tanks, this process is not to be taken lightly...

Doable, but definitely takes a TON of know how and shouldn't be attempted without plenty of research and math by a very experienced fabricator and engineer.

Good luck - can't wait to see what you come up with!

Awesome ! I knew it would of been done before.

"MUST use extremely THICK steel" How thick are you talking ?
                              The welds will be quality tig welds,and deff getting a pressure test.

I can only run 150psi max why is this,
                              Im still very new to air, will my compressors turn off at 150 psi ?

Thanks AccuMike im starting on it this weekend !!

Comment

Working...
                              X