This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Springs

I've got an automatic e36 as my first car. its really just a segway, something to get me to and from work to save for my second car (hopefully an e28 or something, not sureyet). that being said, i want to personalize it, but not drop thousands of dollars on it, mainly because 1) i dont have it, and 2) to be honest, its automatic and i see no point in spending that kind of money into the car.

SO.
    people who have actually driven on cut springs for a while, (longer than a month) could you please tell me what i should expect. im not chopping them all the way down, i just wannal ower the front 1 or two inches to get rid of that wheel gap. thanks in advance. again, if you havn't ridden them try not to post.
    FUEL INJECTED SUICIDE MACHINE

IMO if you have to ask about this, you shouldn't do it coz you're just gonna fuck shit up

Comment

Cut springs are horrible imo drove my e30 with cut springs for a year. Just save up and buy coils. And some people on here have some pretty sweet cars that are auto.

Comment

My Vo is automatic. Not a big deal.

Comment

After everything I've learned and read here, I would not cut springs unless they were extremely stiff non-progressive rate aftermarket springs. 90% of the time your stock springs are worn out already and need to be replaced so theyre going to be a lot softer then they should be. Cutting them will cause you car to bounce and bottom out constantly on soft springs.
          | 92 Corolla AE92 | HKS SMF, Testpipe, Hyperco/Tokico/GC | Houston, TX | 86Garage |

Comment

thanks alot guys. @the auto thing, yeah i suppose, but i like driving standard better its just more fun. thanks for the advice on the springs, im only planning on driving the car for about 8 months, till i get my second car. so i might just cheap out and buy racelands. i know alot of people are gonna ****, but i dont really care, the car is what it is. if i decide to keep it though, pss9s.

Comment

Stance + aggressive driving is a recipe for disaster imo. Riding low means going slow unless you know the area really well so... Automatic isn't a big deal
              StatusRacing.com
              Configure YOUR Seat Here
              Tel: 1.480.265.8600
              Email: sales@statusracing.com
              Fan us on Facebook

Comment

Another cut springs thread?

Just search, FFS.

And seriously, stop trying to justify hack jobs with "oh, I don't want to spend money on this car" or "oh, I'm a poor college student" or whatever. Just do work. And if you're going to do hack jobs anyways, just admit it's because you're too impatient or too lazy to do it right.

Comment

Originally posted by kartikeya View Post
                  Another cut springs thread?

Just search, FFS.

And seriously, stop trying to justify hack jobs with "oh, I don't want to spend money on this car" or "oh, I'm a poor college student" or whatever. Just do work. And if you're going to do hack jobs anyways, just admit it's because you're too impatient or too lazy to do it right.
                  He speaks da truth, troof!
                  | 92 Corolla AE92 | HKS SMF, Testpipe, Hyperco/Tokico/GC | Houston, TX | 86Garage |

Comment

if you wanna lower it just a couple inches why dont you just buy lowering springs?

its not that expensive...i found that within 25 seconds of searching for 'cheap lowering springs'

Comment

E36... You can find really cheap coilovers to 'em.
                      Rather bought that instead of cutting the springs.

Atleast in Norway, there are an okey coiloverset to E36 and that costs like 315euroes.
                      And I bet there are cheaper than that around the world.
                      Vehicles: BMW E28

Comment

Cutting springs will do two things for you:

- Get you made fun of.
                        - Ruin your ride quality. I've never ridden on cut springs and described the ride as "good" or "average."

If you're a baller on a budget, and can't stand to be riding high, buy a set of Racelands while you save up (at whatever rate possible) for a set of real coilovers. At least then you'll be riding on trash, but height-adjustable trash that won't bottom out and destroy your car and your spine.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
                        www.stanceworks.com

Originally posted by Oxer
                        I'm pretty sure I will molest any exhaust systems you leave lying around

Comment

Do not cut progressive rate springs.

Strictly Pleasure
                          Allen
                          82 Datsun 280ZX Turbo 5 Spd
                          92 Mercedes 300CE Sportline 5 Spd

Comment

Rolling on cuts with a 240.Still have travel so it's not bad. Coilovers are necessary for better fitment and babes. Volvo is not bad but I wouldn't want to stay this way for more than a year.Doing it right takes a long time but it's worth it.Pretty sure you have a lot more aftermarket support than I do.You don't know how bad I want to just want to slap some 4in lips on my E50s.BTW-I have an automatic and I'm still breakin necks.

grant

Comment

thanks alot for the help guys. ill start off with lowering springs, i guess your right cutting springs is dumb. if i get the money, ill buy coils. not exactly sure what i was thinking when i made this thread... sometimes i get a bit too anxious, and caught up in thought haha. anyway, back to the topic, thanks alot for the help. hopefully you'll see a build thread from me soon :P

Comment

Working...
                              X