Help me LOWER! Machining offset up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me LOWER! Machining offset up?

I want to take my perches out in back again but to do that I'll have to stretch more.. and that's the problem. I don't want to stretch more. The fronts are 205/45s on 17x8.5s and rears are 235/40s on 17x10s. I drive the car pretty spiritedly so I don't want to lose anymore grip patch on the front or back.

When the perches are out, I rub, but only on one side, since my passenger side wheels are just a few millimeters farther out than the drivers side wheels.

My question is, have any of you heard of machining down the mounting surface of a wheel to raise the offset by just a millimeter or two? But also, am I only not rubbing the drivers side because the passenger side is stopping the body from dipping lower before it touches? If that's the case then I'll only be rubbing more on both sides.

This is more of a brainstorm sesh than an outright question.. I'm just not happy with my stance in back right now.

Anyways here is how it sits now.

Driver's side (With Perches IN):

Passenger's side (With Perches IN):

Thanks!

yeah, its definitely possible to machine down the hubs to raise the offset a bit
    -Jason
    http://project-a3.blogspot.com

Comment

get a machine shop that has a good reputation to tell you how much they can machine off. some wheels allow for quite a lot to be shaved off the inner mounting pad, and some are not worth doing as they will only allow for a mm or two. are those the three or one piece wheel?
      sigpic
      1990 Nissan fairlady Z32 - long term build
      1982 euro porsche 930 turbo

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19185

Comment

totally doable, reputable machine shop might not do it if you tell them its a wheel for liability reasons, the machine shop we use will only do it if you never mention mounting it on a car or it being a wheel.

Comment

Roll your fenders...?

Comment

Maybe I am wrong but they look rolled already.

Comment

The rears on Mk4's are rolled from the factory

I have the perches/adjuster cups out on the back of my 4, 17x10 ET10, looking into machining myself as my arches are getting some abuse.

Comment

If the problem is mm's, you can roll them out, I almost guarantee it.

Comment

i would stay away from getting the wheel machined...i no you said you dont want more stretch but bumping down a tire size would fix the problem and you'll be able to go lower, i would also look into adding some negative camber in the rear that would also eliminate the problem as well. hope this helps

Comment

I vote camber

Comment

camber is not adjustable on mk4's, you need shims to get camber. I wouldnt machine down the hub of the wheel on only one side because its gonna fuck your resale. I wouldnt but a set of wheels with different offsets from left to right.

You could center the trailing arm with shims, or you can machine them all down and correct with a spacer on one side

also check how much extra material you have behind the seats because if there isnt enough they're going to have to re-seat them which is going to raise the cost

ig: @jonnie86

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys

Originally posted by SeanDub View Post
                        You mean as in lightly pulling it with a roller? There's literally nothing to roll on back of mk4 GTIs, its just a flat body line down the quarter panel edge.

Originally posted by grundle View Post
                        i would stay away from getting the wheel machined...i no you said you dont want more stretch but bumping down a tire size would fix the problem and you'll be able to go lower, i would also look into adding some negative camber in the rear that would also eliminate the problem as well. hope this helps
                        The problem with stretching more is the tire sizes. To downsize from a 235/40/17 I'd need a 225/40/17 which is a super rare tire size from what I've found and they don't make the tires I want in that size.. I didn't think about adding camber though, I need to look into camber shims.

Originally posted by Tuck&Poke View Post
                        or you can machine them all down and correct with a spacer on one side
                        Thats a good idea, I hadn't thought of that.

Comment

Just pull the perches and ride on the tire
                          sigpic

Comment

How do you have different offsets?
                            Originally posted by da3bous
                            I want you to photoshop a giant penis down the side of my car

Comment

Originally posted by SeanDub View Post
                              Ah right, sorry dude. Thought you were talking about rolling the inside lip. My bad

Comment

Working...
                              X