Exploring Forced Induction, Part I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exploring Forced Induction, Part I

We at Fluid MotorUnion love taking on jobs we don’t typically come across. This one is definitely something we don’t see every day.

This post marks the beginning of a multi-post build thread for a 2006 Explorer. No, it’s not getting the X5 treatment. This specific Explorer is here because the owner finds that receiving air into his intake manifold at a standard atmospheric pressure just isn’t enough. It’s time…to turbocharge. Superchargers are a more typical route, but when have we been about the typical? We’ve already battened down the hatches and begun work on an entirely custom turbocharger kit for this Explorer. It will feature a heat exchanger up front, with air-to-water intercoolers inside the engine bay, a totally revamped manifold setup and a custom exhaust to match. This is going to be a heavy-duty build that we’re quite excited about, so enough gushing, let’s get to some pictures! Here’s the initial stage of the build, where we break everything down in order to look for room for all the new components we’ll be adding to the engine bay:

Next on the list was placement and fabrication of hangers for the heat exchanger. There was really only one good place to put it, as it’s not the smallest piece on the planet. But it’s certainly not a bad location:

And here’s the snail in question, waiting patiently for its turn to enter the engine bay:

Next, work began to plot out and plan the exhaust manifold. You might not see too many (if any) more pictures of the manifold as it’s being built, as we can’t give away all the fun parts (or the final layout of our manifold jig). We’ll always do some zoomed-in welding shots for ya, but everybody might just have to wait and see what the final product looks like. Patience is a virtue!

The latest step we finished was welding on some mounts for the air-to-water intercoolers.

Now that the first post is behind us, the next steps are the mounting of the intercoolers and the fabrication of the manifolds, which are undoubtedly the trickiest remaining parts of fabrication’s work. We can make exhausts in our sleep. Get ready for the next installment of this build, coming soon!

www.fluidmotorunion.com
    www.stanceworks.com

Originally posted by Oxer
    I'm pretty sure I will molest any exhaust systems you leave lying around

4.6 mod motor?
    Originally posted by Jesus Christ
    he mustve enjoyed that bj.

i know for a fact you chubby bitches could suck the air bubbles out of a brake line

Comment

Originally posted by benz88 View Post
      4.6 mod motor?
      Yessir. A whole 292 hp stock.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
      www.stanceworks.com

Comment

Location, location, location. You guys got it. Except for your actual shop location, I wish it were a little further south so I could make it to Motor Union

Comment

Originally posted by BigBody View Post
          Location, location, location. You guys got it. Except for your actual shop location, I wish it were a little further south so I could make it to Motor Union
          We wish you could drive a little further north

There's always next year. Because we will DEFINITELY be doing it next year, if this year is even halfway as cool as we're hoping it will be.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
          www.stanceworks.com

Comment

Awesome, you guys seem to be taking on so much cool work at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
              Awesome, you guys seem to be taking on so much cool work at the moment
              We are quite efficient at multitasking!

www.fluidmotorunion.com
              www.stanceworks.com

Comment

I hope so, lots of starting threads and not many finished recently

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
                  I hope so, lots of starting threads and not many finished recently
                  Well some jobs get held up by the fact that we only have one CNC mill, and one operator for said mill. Even after 10 hours of cutting, we may only have half of the necessary part for a certain task in a build that needs to happen before anything else does.

Y'know, stuff like that.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
                  www.stanceworks.com

Comment

Any plans besides FI?
                    StatusRacing.com
                    Configure YOUR Seat Here
                    Tel: 1.480.265.8600
                    Email: sales@statusracing.com
                    Fan us on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by StatusRacing View Post
                      Any plans besides FI?
                      For now, I don't believe so, no. But we all know how the mod bug bites...

www.fluidmotorunion.com
                      www.stanceworks.com

Comment

I'm interested in seeing how this all turns out. How well do you think the turbo will work with the, I'm assuming, lazy automatic transmission? The turbo doesn't seem to be all that big so lag probably won't be an issue, but it also makes you realize why superchargers are so common... I don't know, and you guys do so I'm sure all of this is me just not understanding these things as well all of you.

Some day I would like to have enough money to bring my Corrado to you guys for a full rebuild just because I know you would make it awesome in some crazy way. Anyway, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this to see how it all unfolds. Keep up the great work.
                        ///M 2.0
                        G60 POWAR... never forget

Comment

Originally posted by Jersh View Post
                          I'm interested in seeing how this all turns out. How well do you think the turbo will work with the, I'm assuming, lazy automatic transmission? The turbo doesn't seem to be all that big so lag probably won't be an issue, but it also makes you realize why superchargers are so common... I don't know, and you guys do so I'm sure all of this is me just not understanding these things as well all of you.

Some day I would like to have enough money to bring my Corrado to you guys for a full rebuild just because I know you would make it awesome in some crazy way. Anyway, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this to see how it all unfolds. Keep up the great work.
                          Thanks, dude! Given the boost level we'll be running, and the small size helping to reduce lag, the transmission should hold up fine. If not, well, we'll have to consult with the client after that, as he didn't give much (if any) thought to beefing up the trans. It's always something in our minds, though. I've been on Explorer forums this week, doing research and showing off the build, and since nobody's really addressed that there, I'm thinking we should be gravy.

And we definitely know that superchargers are much more common on this car, not just because of the reason you stated, but also (and more simply) because there are kits out for it, so it's not all custom work. However, we like challenges.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
                          www.stanceworks.com

Comment

Very interested to see where this goes... Id also be very interested to see those pics from the X5 photoshoot...

Comment

Originally posted by MikeG View Post
                              Very interested to see where this goes... Id also be very interested to see those pics from the X5 photoshoot...
                              So would the rest of the Western World. Feel free to chide Louise @ Performance BMW for waiting until the bloody October issue to run our spread. (Just kidding! Please don't. She's cool.)

And then once you see it, feel free to offer all sorts of gifts to M. Bfurroughs, who made that entire shoot possible (since I am teh suxz at photos).
                              Last edited by FluidMotorUnion; 07-28-2011, 02:37 PM.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
                              www.stanceworks.com

Comment

Working...
                              X