Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recoating my scraped frame?!

I have a 1997 m3

So today I was at the shop changing my oil and helping my buddy do some work on his car. I inspected everything under my car just to see how it was holding up from scraping. I noticed that my x brace (lowest point) is very scraped up but I am not too concerned about that. Might sand it down and paint it before winter.

What I am concerned about is my frame. I live in the northeast and they salt the roads like crazy here. There are places where the frame is completely exposed and there is 0 rust now, but that wont be that way for long. The coating that is on the frame is some type of thick rubbery stuff. Looks like it is brushed on. It also coats the whole underside of the car it looks like. There are places where it has completely warn away, so I dont want to get to winter and have it get rusty. Does anyone have an idea what I should put on there this fall before it gets cold?

Go to a parts store and get under body deadener. Its a brush on stuff that's thick like tar. It'll have a few benefits. It'll be heaps thick so it'll protect against scraping, rusting and help reduce road noise.

Sent from my Xoom

Comment

that sounds like the stuff thats on there already. thanks!

Comment

Leave it at the same height and keep driving it. The scraping will wear off any rust that starts up.

Comment

Originally posted by Byron View Post
          Leave it at the same height and keep driving it. The scraping will wear off any rust that starts up.
          This.
          - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

You're just going to scrape whatever you put on there off...
            - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

Originally posted by benton672
              There are places where it has completely warn away, so I dont want to get to winter and have it get rusty. Does anyone have an idea what I should put on there this fall before it gets cold?
              It was answered in the first reply. Just go to autozone and get body deadener, rubberized undercoating, or bedliner, etc. etc.

IG: @_olliee

Comment

I'd use this stuff, Waxoyl, http://www.waxoylrustproofing.co.uk/...stproofing.php

Whatever the same stuff is in the states, but if it is rubbing that much it won't be on there long. I would do the same though.

Comment

Working...
                X