No announcement yet.

Threading shock piston... Will it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threading shock piston... Will it work?

Hey guys this might sound stupid but im trying to figure out ways to get my car low.

In the front I have McPherson struts I am using cut springs and was considering cutting another 1/2 to full coil but if that is done I will not have enough threads on the piston to tighten the top hat down on the spring which means that nothing will hold my spring in place if my shock fully extends. What im wondering is if I can have a machine shop add about an inch more of threads to the piston allowing me to keep a preload on my spring with my top hat and be able to hold a shorter spring in place without it falling out.

Made this shit diagram but hopefully youll get the idea

Also im planning to do this on koni yellows with cut bumpstops, Let me know what you guys think

dont know if this is to any help, but when my shocks are fully extended. the springs do NOT touch the top hat.
    the weight of the body keeps the shock/top hat together. and i do not do any duke of hazard jumps. so i cant really say anything. but for my normal driving there is no problem with that at all.
    i can imagine your problem being that your shocks will bottom out.

my recommendation is to swap the shocks. or get coil overs
    -Instagram@jdjurhuus
    Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

Originally posted by Zic View Post
      dont know if this is to any help, but when my shocks are fully extended. the springs do NOT touch the top hat.
      the weight of the body keeps the shock/top hat together. and i do not do any duke of hazard jumps. so i cant really say anything. but for my normal driving there is no problem with that at all.
      i can imagine your problem being that your shocks will bottom out.

my recommendation is to swap the shocks. or get coil overs
      Hmm I see im sure the shocks wont bottom out I was just concered with the spring falling out, but yeah I doubt it would ever become fully extended anyways

But also does that mean that your top hat sits loose under the nut until the car is lowered?

Comment

Lol, most of our springs sit freely in our suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanDub View Post
          Lol, most of our springs sit freely in our suspension.
          Haha mine did as well in the W210 but that had spring cups where even when loose it woudlnt fall out as with the mcpherson struts the top doest really have a cup for it just a top hat which wouldnt hold it in at all if it becomes loose

Comment

I can pull my rear springs out just by jacking my car up

Comment

thats how i got mine out too.
              Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

and what kind of air are you catching that your springs are unseating?
                Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

If its spring over (mcpherson) the spring can't fall out... it would have to be a spring and shock setup to simply fall out. (like my rears)

Comment

Hmm I suppose your right haha I guess I just over thought it i wont be catching air or anything so I should be fine

Thanks for the confirmation guys

Comment

helper/assist springs?

Comment

engineering fail.
                        1999 Slammed W202 - RIP
                        1962 Ford Ranchero - Olivia (Current Project)

if i wanted to be unoriginal, i'd own a BMW.

Comment

hehe crazy.....
                          just in the front my spring is a little bit freely...... and i could not go deeper because i have no more spring deflection with the original strut.... :-(
                          i need new dumper for my H&R strut... with them i could go realy deep/low.... ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by fromthelbc View Post
                            engineering fail.
                            Its from running a 4" rear spring you retard.

Comment

Originally posted by fromthelbc View Post
                              engineering fail.
                              learn something about cars you dumbass...its actually awesome engineering dick.

Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

Working...
                              X